Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Kia Telluride and Hyundai Palisade Are Getting Pricier Already

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-20, 01:59 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 70 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by OUT FOX EM
I can't see these things actually holding their value. Give it a year and the market will be flush with these with 10-15k on the odometer for $25k or less.
I don’t think you will see $25K less and one year old models that quick.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 01-23-20 at 02:08 PM.
Old 01-23-20, 02:08 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,773 Likes on 1,980 Posts

You can’t always wait. And waiting doesn’t always yield that significant a savings.

For instance when we bought the last really in demand car we ever bought, my wife’s 04 Prius there were big markups and 8 month waiting periods here. I found the best deal I could, and traveled 350 miles one way to get the car in WV for MSRP. That trip saved us $5,000, and if we waited until we could have gotten a car here locally for MSRP or one in WV for less, we would have waited over a year. In the end, there was only about $2k in markup in a Prius anyway. We needed a car, that was the car we wanted and that was the best deal. We sold it 7 years later and the $2k waiting over a year might have saved us was just not even remembered or cared about.
Old 01-23-20, 02:34 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
You can’t always wait. And waiting doesn’t always yield that significant a savings.

For instance when we bought the last really in demand car we ever bought, my wife’s 04 Prius there were big markups and 8 month waiting periods here. I found the best deal I could, and traveled 350 miles one way to get the car in WV for MSRP. That trip saved us $5,000, and if we waited until we could have gotten a car here locally for MSRP or one in WV for less, we would have waited over a year. In the end, there was only about $2k in markup in a Prius anyway. We needed a car, that was the car we wanted and that was the best deal. We sold it 7 years later and the $2k waiting over a year might have saved us was just not even remembered or cared about.
Lots of times, people need a car immediately because you get in accidents or you give the car to your kids for school or government tax subsidies expire Makes no sense settling for a 2nd best car just because you can't get a deal on the best car...lots of times i couldn't care if i saved a grand or two because i have to live with the car for 5-7 years, better make sure you get the one you want. This is why the direct business model is so superior...no dealing with stupid dealer markups. You get it from the manufacturer for the listed price...no haggling. There is no MSRP...just listed price (same as invoice). Much better.
Old 01-23-20, 02:41 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by EZZ
Lots of times, people need a car immediately because you get in accidents or you give the car to your kids for school or government tax subsidies expire Makes no sense settling for a 2nd best car just because you can't get a deal on the best car...lots of times i couldn't care if i saved a grand or two because i have to live with the car for 5-7 years, better make sure you get the one you want. This is why the direct business model is so superior...no dealing with stupid dealer markups. You get it from the manufacturer for the listed price...no haggling. There is no MSRP...just listed price (same as invoice). Much better.
Some people are just obsessed with paying as little for things as possible and they deny themselves things they want and need because they "arent getting a good enough deal" and its just ridiculous. Its one thing to not buy things that they cannot afford, or that will hurt them financially...but I simply do not understand living a meager life constantly concerned about what everything costs when you don't have to. Pay as little for things as you can, negotiate the best deal you can, investigate the best way to structure a big purchase totally fine...but at the end of the day if you want the car and can afford the car...buy the car. Not buying a car because the best deal is MSRP to me is just silly.

Who wants to be the richest person in the graveyard never having experienced the things in life you want to experience?
Old 01-23-20, 02:42 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Ha. While I can't necessarily say this as a fact, my very strong suspicion is that you got that Prius a lot cheaper in WV simply because, at the time, almost nobody in the state wanted them. Probably still don't.
Old 01-23-20, 02:43 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Thats totally the truth, and thats what I gambled on when I called dealers in WV, that nobody down home wanted this fancy hi-bird car lol
Old 01-23-20, 02:44 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Some people are just obsessed with paying as little for things as possible and they deny themselves things they want and need because they "arent getting a good enough deal" and its just ridiculous. Its one thing to not buy things that they cannot afford, or that will hurt them financially...but I simply do not understand living a meager life constantly concerned about what everything costs when you don't have to. Pay as little for things as you can, negotiate the best deal you can, investigate the best way to structure a big purchase totally fine...but at the end of the day if you want the car and can afford the car...buy the car. Not buying a car because the best deal is MSRP to me is just silly.

Who wants to be the richest person in the graveyard never having experienced the things in life you want to experience?
You are just wired differently. You have a different outlook/mindset
Old 01-23-20, 02:46 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I am, I just don't understand it. I don't understand denying yourself things you want and need over perceived value.

Its like not eating your whole plate of food when you're still hungry and saving it for later only to throw it away at the end of the night.
Old 01-23-20, 02:47 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Thanks. I'm going to print this and whip it out to show my wife when I get my usual new car bug. Lol
Old 01-23-20, 02:49 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Thanks. I'm going to print this and whip it out to show my wife when I get my usual new car bug. Lol
By all means! LOL
Old 01-23-20, 02:54 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

I am, I just don't understand it. I don't understand denying yourself things you want and need over perceived value.
You see it as denying something to oneself. I don't view it that way.

Its like not eating your whole plate of food when you're still hungry and saving it for later only to throw it away at the end of the night.
I only eat half my plate at a restaurant for almost every single lunch. Dinners, depends on my mood and where. I actually ask the waitress/waiter, before the meal is served, to split it in half and box up the half (put it in a bag) and serve me the other half. Cut a entree, burger whatever right down the middle...split the side dish as well etc etc.

See, some people are wired differently. I don't see the words in bold, I view everything from the viewpoint of wealth. For example, I don't mind being buried the wealthiest person in the graveyard...Richest has no meaning to me.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 01-23-20 at 03:09 PM.
Old 01-23-20, 02:57 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Honestly, I think most people I know are wired like you. Why else would you buy luxury cars if you weren't hard wired to splurge.
Old 01-23-20, 03:00 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,631 Likes on 1,038 Posts

Back to the Palisade and Telluride...

A quick check online of local inventory shows a decent assortment available, but not huge. All are listed at MSRP or up to $3k under. I'm already feeling like I see these things everywhere.
Old 01-23-20, 03:18 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
You see it as denying something to oneself. I don't view it that way.
So every car/driving enjoyment/desire you have is met with the vehicles you currently own? You never see or drive any new vehicle that you would like to have or experience? I don't see how that could possibly be true as a car enthusiast.

I only eat half my plate at a restaurant for almost every single lunch. Dinners, depends on my mood and where. I actually ask the waitress/waiter, before the meal is served, to split it in half and box up the half (put it in a bag) and serve me the other half. Cut a entree, burger whatever right down the middle...split the side dish as well etc etc.
And you do this because you don't want to pay for another meal later, or that half the meal at that time is really all you want? If it's the former, I'd rather be dead than live that way, sorry.

See, some people are wired differently. I don't see the words in bold, I view everything from the viewpoint of wealth. For example, I don't mind being buried the wealthiest person in the graveyard...Richest has no meaning to me.
They're just words that mean the same thing. Everybody in the graveyard is dead, their lives are over. Whether they died with $1M in debt or a $1M in cash they are just.as.dead. Thats the point. Thats not to say you dont need to build wealth to create stability and security for yourself in your life, but theres living to be done before death too, not just scrimping and saving.

Originally Posted by EZZ
Honestly, I think most people I know are wired like you. Why else would you buy luxury cars if you weren't hard wired to splurge.
Exactly, and how can you be a car enthusiast and be around all of these great cars and not have any desire to have any of them?

Originally Posted by JDR76
Back to the Palisade and Telluride...

A quick check online of local inventory shows a decent assortment available, but not huge. All are listed at MSRP or up to $3k under. I'm already feeling like I see these things everywhere.
Are they Limiteds? Here the big issue is Limiteds.
Old 01-23-20, 03:33 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

So every car/driving enjoyment/desire you have is met with the vehicles you currently own? You never see or drive any new vehicle that you would like to have or experience? I don't see how that could possibly be true as a car enthusiast.
Every car I have ever owned I have enjoyed. My current two cars (I drive all the time) I do like. Not perfect but they live up to my expectations. The other two I don't drive very often. Eventually at some point, I will downsize to just one car, maybe a UXh or maybe a Subaru awd....(I am getting tired of having two main daily cars) I do want something new, all the time LOL, but it is just not realistic.

And you do this because you don't want to pay for another meal later, or that half the meal at that time is really all you want? If it's the former, I'd rather be dead than live that way, sorry.
I do it because food portions are too large, I don't want to eat so much (I usually don't eat a lot) and if I don't eat a whole lunch meal, I can also maybe have something else later in the day or afternoon (like Starbucks or something else). I sometimes keep the lunch for the next day, or I give it to one of my employees to try.
They're just words that mean the same thing.
They don't mean the same thing. Not to me. See how people are wired differently.

So to wrap it back around to the Palisade/Telluride, from my own weatlh perspective, paying full MSRP does not enhance someone's wealth. In addition, a poor resale value further diminishes this wealth ideal (from my point of view) because those who pay the full MSPR are already paying an inflated acquisition cost......the individual who looks at this purchase from the wealth perspective, will just wait till the price comes down....now, for those who really need a new car, a new car, I would argue, they are not as wealthy as the one who can wait...There was a time in my life, when I myself, absolutely needed a car, but that was multiple decades ago...

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 01-23-20 at 03:57 PM.

Quick Reply: Kia Telluride and Hyundai Palisade Are Getting Pricier Already