Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Kia Telluride and Hyundai Palisade Are Getting Pricier Already

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-20, 03:50 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,773 Likes on 1,980 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Every car I have ever owned I have enjoyed. My current two cars (I drive all the time) I do like. Not perfect but they live up to my expectations. The other two I don't drive very often. Eventually at some point, I will downsize to just one car, maybe a UXh or maybe a Subaru awd....(I am getting tired of having two main daily cars)
You didn't answer my question. Do your current cars meet all of your wants and desires in a car? You spend time looking at new cars and a lot of time on this forum talking about new cars, you never see or drive any cars that you would really prefer to drive every day other than the ones you have?

Because, I can say that. As a car enthusiast my itches are scratched, my car gives me everything I want out of a car, and I still turn around and look at it when I walk away from it in a parking lot and look forward to driving it every day. When it stops doing that, I'll get a new one.

They don't mean the same thing. Not to me.
Whats the difference?
Old 01-23-20, 04:14 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 70 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
You didn't answer my question. Do your current cars meet all of your wants and desires in a car? You spend time looking at new cars and a lot of time on this forum talking about new cars, you never see or drive any cars that you would really prefer to drive every day other than the ones you have?
?
They do. I have an economy car that is low cost, easy to live with and I also have an SUV with a real 4WD as well as a V8 and is in good shape. Both from my #1 favorite brand. I also have hatchback when I want to borrow that car. The Lexus LX I really never drive. I almost bought a new Impreza this year, but there was no discount, full MSRP and trade value I was offered was under the low end for book..so I decided not to.. The one car I kind of have an itch for its the new Corolla hatch, I like the style and design, however, I also have observed that there is a Corolla hatchback in Europe that has the extended wagon capability, the updated hybrid system from the UX and has more features. I would probably buy that model if it were released right away.
Old 01-23-20, 05:08 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I look at it differently. I like to know what the dealer cost is, what the mark up is. Is there room for negotiation. If MSRP is the only deal available, I would not buy the car.
That translates directly to this conversation. A full-tilt Telluride or Palisade is going to be about $4-5000 less than a loaded Highlander. You are not going to get $4000 off a new Highlander; at least not right now.

So, putting aside that you like Toyotas better than Kia/Hyundai, and assume that you liked them both the same, if you had to pay full MSRP for the Kia/Hyundai, or $2000 off MSRP for the Toyota .... do you come out "ahead" by buying the Toyota?

(and if you keep this car the same length of time you kept your 4Runner, Toyota's better residual value won't matter in the end--so that shouldn't be a factor)
Old 01-23-20, 05:17 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tex2670
That translates directly to this conversation. A full-tilt Telluride or Palisade is going to be about $4-5000 less than a loaded Highlander. You are not going to get $4000 off a new Highlander; at least not right now.

So, putting aside that you like Toyotas better than Kia/Hyundai, and assume that you liked them both the same, if you had to pay full MSRP for the Kia/Hyundai, or $2000 off MSRP for the Toyota .... do you come out "ahead" by buying the Toyota?

(and if you keep this car the same length of time you kept your 4Runner, Toyota's better residual value won't matter in the end--so that shouldn't be a factor)
Exactly....
Old 01-23-20, 05:49 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

I would not buy the Telluride at full MSRP. I know, it will come down in price, so if I liked it better, I would wait, until the price moves. I had no idea the price was $4-$5k difference, I would not buy the HL either. I would just be patient.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 01-23-20 at 05:58 PM.
Old 01-23-20, 07:05 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,631 Likes on 1,038 Posts

I can’t imagine a loaded Highlander being $4-5k more than a loaded Palisade or Telluride, unless they raised 2020 Highlander prices significantly.

I’m seeing loaded Tellurides at about $48,500. My 2019 Highlander was completely loaded at $49,500. And that’s the hybrid. The loaded Limited Platinum non-hybrids were about $46k, MSRP. I’m not sure of the new Highlander pricing, but I’d be surprised if the V6 model went from $46k to $52,500 or more.

Edit: I just checked online and maybe I’m not remembering correctly. I’m seeing Limited Platinum V6 models around $49k. I remembered $46k when we looked but maybe that’s not right.

Last edited by JDR76; 01-23-20 at 07:16 PM.
Old 01-23-20, 07:15 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Every car I have ever owned I have enjoyed.
Even though you have obviously kept the Lexus-CT designation as part of your own forum-ident, you've made numerous posts, in the past, about how you did not like the CT you actually owned. So...did you or didn't you enjoy it?

I'll come right out and say that several cars I've owned were a PITA, although that was decades ago, at the worst of GM and Chrysler's quality-control, and before EFI, electronic engine-controls, and other advances were made standard.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-23-20 at 07:18 PM.
Old 01-23-20, 07:18 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by JDR76
I can’t imagine a loaded Highlander being $4-5k more than a loaded Palisade or Telluride, unless they raised 2020 Highlander prices significantly.

I’m seeing loaded Tellurides at about $48,500. My 2019 Highlander was completely loaded at $49,500. And that’s the hybrid. The loaded Limited Platinum non-hybrids were about $46k, MSRP. I’m not sure of the new Highlander pricing, but I’d be surprised if the V6 model went from $46k to $52,500 or more.

Edit: I just checked online and maybe I’m not remembering correctly. I’m seeing Limited Platinum V6 models around $49k. I remembered $46k when we looked but maybe that’s not right.
I think you will find a comparable Highlander to a Palisade Limited (Telluride is more expensive than Palisade) will be more expensive than the previous car. A lot of the competition is above $50k loaded now. Explorer, Atlas, Traverse etc are all comfortably over $50k loaded (even a Limited Explorer)
Old 01-23-20, 08:14 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,511 Likes on 1,651 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
No...not damning at all. I found it a very competent vehicle, with only minor complaints with the latest hardware inside, which, though decent, I did not think was quite up to previous Hyundai/Kia products. But if it were my own money, I'd have no qualms about buying one.
ok. The post i replied to you just said you found no major problems, which is hardly big praise. like saying "it didn't suck"

I look at it differently. I like to know what the dealer cost is, what the mark up is. Is there room for negotiation. If MSRP is the only deal available, I would not buy the car.
The S in MSRP is SUGGESTED... it's just a number. Whether a car is bought/leased/valued for more or less than that is appealing or not subjectively. But MSRP is arbitrary besides a car companies calculation based on markup from invoice price although it's way more complex with them 'steering' the market to a production mix of models/versions, incentives, supply chain, etc. if a car maker knows it can only make 5% of a model in a certain trim, there's no point in trying to price it aggressively relative to the other trims as it will attract too many potential buyers.

I would never buy a new Hyundai or KIA.
we all knew that, but good to see you state it. And i don't think you'd buy a used one either.

Or I can wait until the price comes down.
Waiting has its own cost... if you're trading something in of course that's going down in value while you wait, but then the newest car in your fleet is 6 years old so values not dropping a whole lot at this point.

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Some people are just obsessed with paying as little for things as possible and they deny themselves things they want and need because they "arent getting a good enough deal" and its just ridiculous. Its one thing to not buy things that they cannot afford, or that will hurt them financially...but I simply do not understand living a meager life constantly concerned about what everything costs when you don't have to. Pay as little for things as you can, negotiate the best deal you can, investigate the best way to structure a big purchase totally fine...but at the end of the day if you want the car and can afford the car...buy the car. Not buying a car because the best deal is MSRP to me is just silly.

Who wants to be the richest person in the graveyard never having experienced the things in life you want to experience?
Great post. as they say, "you can't take it with you" - i'd like to die broke.

I only eat half my plate at a restaurant for almost every single lunch. Dinners, depends on my mood and where. I actually ask the waitress/waiter, before the meal is served, to split it in half and box up the half (put it in a bag) and serve me the other half. Cut a entree, burger whatever right down the middle...split the side dish as well etc etc.
that's great self-control... and with the cars, and likely everything, the ability to "delay gratification" is admirable. But if were all about wealth, you wouldn't have 4 vehicles because to me you're "wasting" a load of money on insurance, maintenance, taxes, etc. but each to their own.

See, some people are wired differently. I don't see the words in bold, I view everything from the viewpoint of wealth. For example, I don't mind being buried the wealthiest person in the graveyard...Richest has no meaning to me.
I once read a person is rich whose means exceed their wants. accumulating wealth is fine and can be intoxicating and addicting, but 'hoarding' wealth far beyond ones conceivable life needs to me is a terrible and immoral. Not saying you're doing that. Once i feel set in my financial picture, i plan to give away everything else and may say **** it and give more anyway because our lifespan is of course, unknown.

back to the palisade and telluride, they offer pretty luxurious interiors, great function, and the best value on the market today in 3 row crossovers. So it's no wonder they're selling well.
Old 01-24-20, 05:29 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

I would not buy the Telluride at full MSRP. I know, it will come down in price, so if I liked it better, I would wait, until the price moves. I had no idea the price was $4-$5k difference, I would not buy the HL either. I would just be patient.
You didn't answer the question. You assumed facts that weren't presented to you. Here's an additional fact you may assume: Your car was stolen or a tree fell on it and it was totaled; you don't have the ability to wait out price reductions. You need a car now.

The question again was: You must pay MSRP for vehicle 1. You can get some amount off MSRP for vehicle 2; but even with that, vehicle 1 is cheaper. Are do you come out "ahead" if you buy vehicle 2 because of a "rule" never to pay MSRP.
Old 01-24-20, 05:34 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by JDR76

That's what I read--fully loaded 2020 Platinum Limited will be about $52,000. 2019 Limited Platinum is $48,630 with delivery charge.
Old 01-24-20, 05:38 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
ok. The post i replied to you just said you found no major problems, which is hardly big praise. like saying "it didn't suck"

The S in MSRP is SUGGESTED... it's just a number. Whether a car is bought/leased/valued for more or less than that is appealing or not subjectively. But MSRP is arbitrary besides a car companies calculation based on markup from invoice price although it's way more complex with them 'steering' the market to a production mix of models/versions, incentives, supply chain, etc. if a car maker knows it can only make 5% of a model in a certain trim, there's no point in trying to price it aggressively relative to the other trims as it will attract too many potential buyers.

we all knew that, but good to see you state it. And i don't think you'd buy a used one either.

Waiting has its own cost... if you're trading something in of course that's going down in value while you wait, but then the newest car in your fleet is 6 years old so values not dropping a whole lot at this point.

Great post. as they say, "you can't take it with you" - i'd like to die broke.

that's great self-control... and with the cars, and likely everything, the ability to "delay gratification" is admirable. But if were all about wealth, you wouldn't have 4 vehicles because to me you're "wasting" a load of money on insurance, maintenance, taxes, etc. but each to their own.

I once read a person is rich whose means exceed their wants. accumulating wealth is fine and can be intoxicating and addicting, but 'hoarding' wealth far beyond ones conceivable life needs to me is a terrible and immoral. Not saying you're doing that. Once i feel set in my financial picture, i plan to give away everything else and may say **** it and give more anyway because our lifespan is of course, unknown.

back to the palisade and telluride, they offer pretty luxurious interiors, great function, and the best value on the market today in 3 row crossovers. So it's no wonder they're selling well.
You have an interesting point of view on the subject.
Old 01-24-20, 05:48 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

]I would not buy the Telluride at full MSRP. I know, it will come down in price, so if I liked it better, I would wait, until the price moves. I had no idea the price was $4-$5k difference, I would not buy the HL either. I would just be patient.

You didn't answer the question. You assumed facts that weren't presented to you. Here's an additional fact you may assume: Your car was stolen or a tree fell on it and it was totaled; you don't have the ability to wait out price reductions. You need a car now.

The question again was: You must pay MSRP for vehicle 1. You can get some amount off MSRP for vehicle 2; but even with that, vehicle 1 is cheaper. Are do you come out "ahead" if you buy vehicle 2 because of a "rule" never to pay MSRP.
Whie Jill can answer for herself on the question of a Telluride at full price (I won't presume to do that), I will point out two things. First, part of replacing a totaled vehicle will be insurance money, not hers (whatever the residual value of the totaled vehicle was.....she gets a settlement-check for that). Second, she doesn't have to replace it with a Telluride. There are plenty of other good competitors.....some of which are not currently selling at full price.
Old 01-24-20, 06:00 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

the 2020 highlander hybrid is around $1700 more than the equivalent non hybrid version
Old 01-24-20, 06:15 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Sorry. Not playing “what if’s” or “someone’s else’s” shoes. I am answering from my own life and perspective, my own experience. I have not needed a car since I was in my 20s. So from my experience, I would just wait. (If you can’t respect that) just move on. If you want to share what you would do, feel free

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 01-24-20 at 06:25 AM.

Quick Reply: Kia Telluride and Hyundai Palisade Are Getting Pricier Already