Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Kia Telluride and Hyundai Palisade Are Getting Pricier Already

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-20, 06:37 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Whie Jill can answer for herself on the question of a Telluride at full price (I won't presume to do that), I will point out two things. First, part of replacing a totaled vehicle will be insurance money, not hers (whatever the residual value of the totaled vehicle was.....she gets a settlement-check for that). Second, she doesn't have to replace it with a Telluride. There are plenty of other good competitors.....some of which are not currently selling at full price.
Again--I was asking a specific question in response to a specific discussion. Insurance proceeds are irrelevant to the question asked, and I only added that fact to counter the attempt to change the facts with "I'll just wait to purchase"; if you want, assume that @LexsCTJill didn't maintain comprehensive coverage on her 16 year old car to save premiums. You want to change the cars in the scenario--fine with me. The question doesn't change--does the buyer stick to an outright prohibition on paying MSRP when the MSRP of car 1 is LOWER than the negotiated price of a below MSRP price of car 2?
Old 01-24-20, 06:39 AM
geko29
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 310 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
I once read a person is rich whose means exceed their wants.
Absolutely. Mark Twain put it best:

"Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen [pounds] nineteen [shillings] and six [pence], result happiness. Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery."
Old 01-24-20, 06:41 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Sorry. Not playing “what if’s” or “someone’s else’s” shoes. I am answering from my own life and perspective, my own experience. I have not needed a car since I was in my 20s. So from my experience, I would just wait. (If you can’t respect that) just move on. If you want to share what you would do, feel free
By not playing "what ifs" you are doing exactly that. Every single scenario we discuss here is a "what if" hypothetical. You aren't even in the market for one of these cars--so if you don't want to play "what ifs", then why are you even participating in this discussion? Because that's exactly what the entire discussion is.

If you will not pay MSRP under any circumstance whatsoever, even if it saves you money overall, that's certainly your prerogative.
Old 01-24-20, 06:42 AM
geko29
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 310 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Whie Jill can answer for herself on the question of a Telluride at full price (I won't presume to do that), I will point out two things. First, part of replacing a totaled vehicle will be insurance money, not hers (whatever the residual value of the totaled vehicle was.....she gets a settlement-check for that). Second, she doesn't have to replace it with a Telluride. There are plenty of other good competitors.....some of which are not currently selling at full price.
This is a logical fallacy. Money is fungible. The reason the Insurance company gives her a check is because that is the value of the property she lost. She presumably could have sold it for about that amount, give or take a bit, prior to the incident that resulted in the loss. It is NOT the insurance company's money at that point, it is HER money, and she can chose to do with it as she pleases. That could be buying the same car for the same amount, a cheaper used car, a more expensive new car, or no car at all.
Old 01-24-20, 06:46 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,773 Likes on 1,980 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
that's great self-control... and with the cars, and likely everything, the ability to "delay gratification" is admirable. But if we're all about wealth, you wouldn't have 4 vehicles because to me you're "wasting" a load of money on insurance, maintenance, taxes, etc. but each to their own.

I once read a person is rich whose means exceed their wants. accumulating wealth is fine and can be intoxicating and addicting, but 'hoarding' wealth far beyond ones conceivable life needs to me is a terrible and immoral. Not saying you're doing that. Once i feel set in my financial picture, i plan to give away everything else and may say **** it and give more anyway because our lifespan is of course, unknown.
Exactly. While the ability to delay gratification and self control are admirable, the purpose of exercising those attributes to that degree is what I don't understand. It's like being healthy (as in not needing to lose weight) with plenty of money to pay for food, yet refusing to eat when you're hungry. Whats the purpose of refusing to grant ones self something when there is no reason not to?

I cant imagine why somebody would want to be so enthusiastic about cars and spend so much of their time focused on cars yet not have any desire to have anything but older economy cars. I totally get that in people who have no interest in cars.

Its not about price point either, there are lots of great cars at all price points, there are even greater value used great cars...
Old 01-24-20, 07:07 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 70 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Exactly. While the ability to delay gratification and self control are admirable, the purpose of exercising those attributes to that degree is what I don't understand. It's like being healthy (as in not needing to lose weight) with plenty of money to pay for food, yet refusing to eat when you're hungry. Whats the purpose of refusing to grant ones self something when there is no reason not to?

I cant imagine why somebody would want to be so enthusiastic about cars and spend so much of their time focused on cars yet not have any desire to have anything but older economy cars. I totally get that in people who have no interest in cars.

Its not about price point either, there are lots of great cars at all price points, there are even greater value used great cars...
Because you are wired differently. I like cars, I like having two cars as my options when I wake each morning I leave my building and there are my two different choices, two that are fundamentally and completely different (1 a V8 body on frame, the other a 4 banger economy car). Two that I own which means, I can wake up and do whatever I like. To me, that enhances ones wealth and quality of life. That is a passion in its own right (passion for cars is different for everyone). If I want a hatch back for stuff that has a stiffer suspension I can do that too (but he will need something to drive so he will take mine) If I want to drive a Lexus LX (old one) that too.

In contrast, I also find new cars appealing. Very interesting. And new tech. New styles. New designs But cars are a money drain, a depreciating asset, so my common sense(just my opinion) kicks in and realizes that just going out and buying a new is not the prudent thing to do.

For yourself, you are wired differently, you like leasing. You like changing your car every three years. What fun is it to get a car, pay interest, then just give it up, after a lifetime of doing this way...you own nothing....but you get to have a new car all time (passion *for you* in its own right too)..But I get it, this is how you are wired. Four new cars doing the same objective for me (above) would never work, too expensive. A lease, no way.

So, paying full MSRP for a KIA Telluride...., if you want to advocate that...do it. If you feel a car is so worth it to pay it, then do it , great....it’s your passion to do it.....not for me...(wired differently). .....I would never ever pay full price for something, if I don’t have to.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 01-24-20 at 08:37 AM.
Old 01-24-20, 07:22 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,631 Likes on 1,038 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
That's what I read--fully loaded 2020 Platinum Limited will be about $52,000. 2019 Limited Platinum is $48,630 with delivery charge.
Thanks. Guess I need to update my knowledge on the subject!

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
the 2020 highlander hybrid is around $1700 more than the equivalent non hybrid version
That's about what it was on the 19s as well, so that sounds right. Oddly enough, my 16 Highlander Hybrid cost more than my 19. The premium for the hybrid on the 16 was nearly $6k. For 17 they reduced that premium to less than $2k. My 19 has a few more features than my 16 did, but I paid considerably less for it.
Old 01-24-20, 08:35 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Because you are wired differently. I like cars, I like having two cars as my options when I wake each morning I leave my building and there are my two different choices, two that are fundamentally and completely different (1 a V8 body on frame, the other a 4 banger economy car). Two that I own which means, I can wake up and do whatever I like. To me, that enhances ones wealth and quality of life. That is a passion in its own right. If I want a hatch back for stuff that has a stiffer suspension I can do that too (but he will need something to drive so he will take mine) If I want to drive a Lexus LX (old one) that too.
What I'm just not hearing is a car enthusiast.

As for the Palisade, my local dealer has one Limited showing in stock, I may swing down and check it out.
Old 01-24-20, 08:38 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Now that is your opinion. Car enthusiasm runs many different ways. Your enthusiasm for cars is totally different than mine.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 01-24-20 at 08:46 AM.
Old 01-24-20, 08:40 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

As for the Palisade, my local dealer has one Limited showing in stock, I may swing down and check it out.
It will be interesting to see if they let you test drive that exact model. Or if you have to drive their demo.
Old 01-24-20, 08:46 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I've driven them before. I've always driven models off the lot, they dont even have a demo.
Old 01-24-20, 08:49 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

I hope whomever gets that Palisade gets it with a little as possible miles. To me, that is special. I think they are made in S Korea as well, something I would value a little bit more than the KIA (or vice versa)
Old 01-24-20, 09:36 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Out of curiosity I looked at the inventory of a Hyundai dealer near me and they are showing 20 Palisades. 17 were actual photographs of cars on the lot and 3 were stock photos. Assuming their site is updated it looks like a pretty good selection of a hot selling new SUV.
Old 01-24-20, 10:28 AM
stasek
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

Regarding inventory around Chicago. Palisade - 386 total, 131 Limited. Telluride - 83 total, 10 SX.

Edit: at a Kia dealer now, checking out another Stinger... Telluride S - $2995 market adjustment + $995 blinker fluid, for a cool $4k over MSRP. At least that’s what they’re asking.

Last edited by stasek; 01-24-20 at 10:59 AM.
Old 01-24-20, 12:42 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Strong sales.

https://www.motor1.com/news/394745/d...de-production/

Strong Telluride Demand Forces Kia To Boost Production To 100,000

Jan 24, 2020 at 9:52am

By: Anthony Alaniz

This is a good problem to have.

Kia has a problem. Too many people want the Telluride. Terrible problem to have, right? Well, Kia held a conference call earlier this week announcing it’d increase Telluride production to 100,000 a year, anticipating demand to remain high, according to a new report from MotorGraph.com. That’s above the number of Tellurides sold in the U.S. last year, but the three-row SUV was only on sale for 11 months, and crossovers and SUVs are still sales leaders.

Kia Is Finding Success With The Telluride:

Kia Telluride Could Get Posh Trim Level, Off-Road Package: Report Telluride sales started slowly in February but quickly jumped to over 5,000 a month for most of the year. For the last quarter of 2019, sales were over 6,000 a month, with Kia selling a total of 58,604 Tellurides for the year. That’s a strong outing for an all-new three-row SUV that has to compete against the Ford Explorer that sold 184,653 units in 2019, though the latest Explorer did suffer delays due to manufacturing problems.

Helping Kia win SUV converts is its slew of awards, including the 2020 North American Utility of the Year, beating out the Hyundai Palisade, its corporate sibling, and the gorgeous Lincoln Aviator. But the prestigious title wasn’t the only award for Kia’s new SUV.

One area where the Telluride doesn’t beat the Palisade is on price. From the start, the Kia has been more expensive, and even after a slight price increase to both, the Kia is still the more expensive offering, though that doesn’t appear to be slowing interest. Last week, a Kia spokesperson said the Telluride is “on deep back order,” and the company is “averaging 7-8 day supply nationwide.” The Telluride now starts at $33,060, including destination.

The Telluride’s first-year success has Kia thinking of expanding Telluride variants. There are rumors of a more luxurious trim along with an off-road package. There are even rumors of a long-wheelbase version, too. Either way, Kia has a popular new SUV, and it’d be a shame if the company didn’t capitalize on that.

Source: MotorGraph.com via The Korean Car Blog

Last edited by tex2670; 01-24-20 at 12:47 PM.

Quick Reply: Kia Telluride and Hyundai Palisade Are Getting Pricier Already