Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Kia Telluride and Hyundai Palisade Are Getting Pricier Already

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-20, 02:23 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,511 Likes on 1,651 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
By not playing "what ifs" you are doing exactly that. Every single scenario we discuss here is a "what if" hypothetical. You aren't even in the market for one of these cars--so if you don't want to play "what ifs", then why are you even participating in this discussion? Because that's exactly what the entire discussion is.
If you will not pay MSRP under any circumstance whatsoever, even if it saves you money overall, that's certainly your prerogative.
tex2670 et al: let it go.

Jill has patiently explained her position.
Old 01-24-20, 02:24 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

looks like we're gonna see a lot of tellurides.
Old 01-24-20, 03:05 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by geko29
This is a logical fallacy. Money is fungible. The reason the Insurance company gives her a check is because that is the value of the property she lost. She presumably could have sold it for about that amount, give or take a bit, prior to the incident that resulted in the loss. It is NOT the insurance company's money at that point, it is HER money, and she can chose to do with it as she pleases. That could be buying the same car for the same amount, a cheaper used car, a more expensive new car, or no car at all.
Of course it's her money....no offense, but you really didn't need to post that. I merely used the term "insurance" because, in the case of a totalled vehicle, it would be coming from the settlement clause on her policy and not directly out of her pocket or bank account.
Old 01-24-20, 03:11 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Sorry. Not playing “what if’s” or “someone’s else’s” shoes. I am answering from my own life and perspective, my own experience. I have not needed a car since I was in my 20s. So from my experience, I would just wait. (If you can’t respect that) just move on. If you want to share what you would do, feel free

Good answer, Jill, but you and your family also have other vehicles to fall back on if one fails. Not all can say the same.

Back to thread-topic, one thing about the Telluride (perhaps not surprisingly) is that one of the areas of its greatest shortage is in the state of Colorado, where the vehicle is actually named for the Colorado city of Telluride, high up in the Rockies.

(you might have to disable ad-blocking to read the article)

https://www.denverpost.com/2019/12/1...r-dealerships/

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-24-20 at 03:18 PM.
Old 01-24-20, 06:38 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,773 Likes on 1,980 Posts

Spent a lot of time with a Limited Palisade at the DC Car show this afternoon, its definitely what I want. Sat in several new Highlanders too, which are very nice and big upgrades from the outgoing Highlander, but they're considerably smaller than the Palisade inside and just don't have the same appeal to me.

So, sometime over the next year have to talk my wife into the idea we dont need another van.
Old 01-24-20, 07:09 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Spent a lot of time with a Limited Palisade at the DC Car show this afternoon, its definitely what I want. Sat in several new Highlanders too, which are very nice and big upgrades from the outgoing Highlander, but they're considerably smaller than the Palisade inside and just don't have the same appeal to me.
Interesting you would mention that, because several of us on Car Chat, after actually seeing the Telluride and Palisade in person, felt it seemed smaller in real life than in the ad-images.

So, sometime over the next year have to talk my wife into the idea we dont need another van.

Did she go to the show with you?...or will she? That's probably the best place to convince her of that. Purely from a comfort point of view, I'd recommend she look at the Enclave, especially after my recent test-drive, but it's probably not as well-built as the Palisade, lacks the warranty (Buick is actually scaling back their 2020 warranty from luxury to mainstream standards), and, from what i remember, it lacks some of the back-seat entertainment features you want for the kiddies. If money is not an object with you, the Lincoln Aviator is very impressive inside and out....but it costs a hefty sum, even for its size. I like the smaller Corsair myself, but it would probably be too small for your family.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-24-20 at 07:13 PM.
Old 01-24-20, 07:12 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

No, she refuses to go anywhere near the car show with me LOL

I looked at the Enclave too, I just dont care for its jellybean look. If I was going to do GM I would get a Traverse.

No back seat entertainment for the Palisade either, but she's not worried about that says well just give them iPads. What she's mostly worried about is losing the sliding rear doors
Old 01-24-20, 07:46 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Why the Palisade over the Telluride?
Old 01-24-20, 07:49 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Interesting you would mention that, because several of us on Car Chat, after actually seeing the Telluride and Palisade in person, felt it seemed smaller in real life than in the ad-images.
My neighbor has a Santa Fe (the XL type, not the current version), and said the complete opposite. Their lease is up in the spring, and they went to look at the Palisade. Wife said "Oh that is way too big." I texted husband the dimensions vs. their Santa Fe to show how it is not really that much bigger, and that it is smaller than the Odyssey wife used to drive. However, in the end, pointing out reality didn't matter--Palisade was "too big".
Old 01-24-20, 07:54 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Did she go to the show with you?...or will she? That's probably the best place to convince her of that.
This isn't a sexist remark it's just evidential that most females would rather have surgery than go to a car show.

No, she refuses to go anywhere near the car show with me LOL
QED

My neighbor has a Santa Fe (the XL type, not the current version), and said the complete opposite. Their lease is up in the spring, and they went to look at the Palisade. Wife said "Oh that is way too big." I texted husband the dimensions vs. their Santa Fe to show how it is not really that much bigger, and that it is smaller than the Odyssey wife used to drive. However, in the end, pointing out reality didn't matter--Palisade was "too big".
maybe the palisade/telluride seems big because it's 2" wider than new highlander and 4" wider than a santa fe.
Old 01-24-20, 08:17 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
This isn't a sexist remark it's just evidential that most females would rather have surgery than go to a car show.

I agree it is not sexist. But my experience is that gender doesn't seem to make that much difference....I know a lot of both males and females that aren't that interested in vehicles or shows.

Old 01-24-20, 08:31 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

I agree it is not sexist. But my experience is that gender doesn't seem to make that much difference....I know a lot of both males and females that aren't that interested in vehicles or shows.
i agree car shows in general aren't very popular with anyone these days, but of those that still go, i still claim a much larger percentage are male than female.
Old 01-25-20, 11:02 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Why the Palisade over the Telluride?
I prefer the looks of the Palisade.

They do look big, but they arent big. Its the way they're styled, their upright look, etc.

She went with me one time and that was enough LOL
Old 01-25-20, 01:03 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

maybe the palisade/telluride seems big because it's 2" wider than new highlander and 4" wider than a santa fe.
yes--but I don't consider those dimensions much bigger to be a tipping point that it's "too big". still smaller than that family's prior Odyssey.
Old 01-25-20, 01:10 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

just got back from houston auto show. Palisade is bar none better than the 2020 highlander. Bigger, better built, priced well

Quick Reply: Kia Telluride and Hyundai Palisade Are Getting Pricier Already