Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

The Term 'Tesla Killers' Is Dead: OEM Struggles Prove Tesla's Worth

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-20 | 06:07 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

I think its going over $1,000 today.
I’m debating if i should cash out as its definitely going down to reality soon.
Old 02-04-20 | 06:23 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
I think its going over $1,000 today.
I’m debating if i should cash out as its definitely going down to reality soon.
Right now, if I were in your shoes, I'd probably do the same thing. Take your capital gains, pay your taxes on it, and run. If it busts soon, you've saved a big loss. If it doesn't, that's life.

Old 02-04-20 | 06:31 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Right now, if I were in your shoes, I'd probably do the same thing. Take your capital gains, pay your taxes on it, and run. If it busts soon, you've saved a big loss. If it doesn't, that's life.

Bad move
Old 02-04-20 | 06:33 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

I'm not going to tell anyone what to do with their investment but Tesla is certainly riding a bubble. Value has to be measured over time and there may be a correction coming. This high does reset what the floor is on the stocks. Even if the come crashing down, I bet they end up more valuable than any of the big 3 at the lowest.

This company certainly no longer feels like it's in any sort of danger of folding anytime soon. So no excuses everyone, go get yourself an EV
Old 02-04-20 | 06:47 AM
swajames
Pole Position

Just broke the $900 barrier.
Old 02-04-20 | 06:50 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by EZZ
I'm not going to tell anyone what to do with their investment
Oh I agree......I basically stated what I would do. But some people are braver and more willing to take chances than I am (I realize that)....I tend to be very conservative on investments.

This company certainly no longer feels like it's in any sort of danger of folding anytime soon.
Thanks to the Model 3 , at least.
Old 02-04-20 | 06:58 AM
swajames
Pole Position

Thanks to the Model 3 , at least.
It’s not just the 3. The Model S and X still drive value and will continue to do so. But it’s the upcoming Y and the truck that are really going to keep up the momentum.
Old 02-04-20 | 07:00 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Oh I agree......I basically stated what I would do. But some people are braver and more willing to take chances than I am (I realize that)....I tend to be very conservative on investments.Thanks to the Model 3 , at least.
The Model Y is gonna sell even better. You should be happy that an American company is the second most valuable automaker in the world (even though they are really a energy/autonomy company in disguise).
Old 02-04-20 | 07:03 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by EZZ
The Model Y is gonna sell even better.
We'll see.

You should be happy that an American company is the second most valuable automaker in the world (even though they are really a energy/autonomy company in disguise).
Depends on how you measure wealth...that seems to be one of the main issues of discussion in this thread.
Old 02-04-20 | 07:10 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

We'll see.Depends on how you measure wealth...that seems to be one of the main issues of discussion in this thread.
There is only 1 way to measure market value and it says Tesla is $165B market cap company
Old 02-04-20 | 08:23 AM
All4Lexus
Intermediate

Originally Posted by EZZ
The Model Y is gonna sell even better. You should be happy that an American company is the second most valuable automaker in the world (even though they are really a energy/autonomy company in disguise).
You're right about that. Model Y will eventually outsell Model 3. It's the SUV version of this car and more affordable than a Model X.

Eventually CyberTruck will outsell Model Y & Model 3 combined by end of the decade. You have look beyond the 'truck' platform, and what variants of a truck we could be producing on the same under body. Ford's F150 platform is multipurpose to so many commercial and business uses. We're not exactly ready for that. Give it 3-5 years for this to develop beyond the Truck. The Tesla dna is common to all CyberTruck variants, while current vehicle makers have to customize variants for each brand and truck platform, and couple that with various engines. We're not ready for the truck now. Model Y stirs up the hype wagon for us to be ready for that in the near future.

It's just brilliantly stupid. Couple it with the fact all vehicles in Europe have to go EV by 2035. The larger force of governments and emissions rules is what will be driving an industry change -- not consumer buying habits. You have 15 years to cut over in Europe. Cut this time in half, you're going to see a lot of new vehicles by 2027 to get their Gen 0 vehicles tested/validated/prepared/production ramped up for critical mass adoption.

The automakers who get there early with EV options by 2022-2023 can gain a competitive alternative dibs to Tesla. It's just a matter of time for USA to reconsider their EV strategy or be left behind on what China/Korean/Euro/Japan markets are doing. The panic mode is getting very real and pressuring GM/Ford/FCA if they want to rise up or cede the market to Tesla or even license and standardize on Tesla technology. This latter thinking may never happen for the simple fact Apple has never licensed their ipad/iwatch/iphone/computers out to anyone else. Strange bedfellows are going to happen to converge the technology in the EV space to some standards (which can take years to sort out some agreement).

What we see is the market acknowledging their success for doing the unthinkable. It's not so different than the market acknowledging Amazon's growth in AWS, or Microsoft putting their big boy pants back on with Windows 10 and evolution of Office to the cloud and subscriptions, and Azure. IBM got complacent and lost the opportunity to grow like its competitors did. Can Ford/GM/FCA afford to be complacent? We will see what happens in next 5 years.

It is sure an exciting evolution for all of us as drivers to witness the 21st century transformation of the transportation business and eventually be part of it.
Old 02-04-20 | 10:14 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

The automakers who get there early with EV options by 2022-2023 can gain a competitive alternative dibs to Tesla. It's just a matter of time for USA to reconsider their EV strategy or be left behind on what China/Korean/Euro/Japan markets are doing. The panic mode is getting very real and pressuring GM/Ford/FCA if they want to rise up or cede the market to Tesla or even license and standardize on Tesla technology. This latter thinking may never happen for the simple fact Apple has never licensed their ipad/iwatch/iphone/computers out to anyone else. Strange bedfellows are going to happen to converge the technology in the EV space to some standards (which can take years to sort out some agreement).
what in the world are you talking about? Why would GM and Ford be at Gen0 in 2027?

Why is China/Japan/Korea stronger in EV policies than US? Even Europe is not really, but individual countries might be.

China actually eased back their EV policies significantly, which then right away lowered the sales in 2019.
Old 02-04-20 | 10:16 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by All4Lexus
You're right about that. Model Y will eventually outsell Model 3. It's the SUV version of this car and more affordable than a Model X.

Eventually CyberTruck will outsell Model Y & Model 3 combined by end of the decade. You have look beyond the 'truck' platform, and what variants of a truck we could be producing on the same under body. Ford's F150 platform is multipurpose to so many commercial and business uses. We're not exactly ready for that. Give it 3-5 years for this to develop beyond the Truck. The Tesla dna is common to all CyberTruck variants, while current vehicle makers have to customize variants for each brand and truck platform, and couple that with various engines. We're not ready for the truck now. Model Y stirs up the hype wagon for us to be ready for that in the near future.

It's just brilliantly stupid. Couple it with the fact all vehicles in Europe have to go EV by 2035. The larger force of governments and emissions rules is what will be driving an industry change -- not consumer buying habits. You have 15 years to cut over in Europe. Cut this time in half, you're going to see a lot of new vehicles by 2027 to get their Gen 0 vehicles tested/validated/prepared/production ramped up for critical mass adoption.

What we see is the market acknowledging their success for doing the unthinkable. It's not so different than the market acknowledging Amazon's growth in AWS, or Microsoft putting their big boy pants back on with Windows 10 and evolution of Office to the cloud and subscriptions, and Azure. IBM got complacent and lost the opportunity to grow like its competitors did. Can Ford/GM/FCA afford to be complacent? We will see what happens in next 5 years.

It is sure an exciting evolution for all of us as drivers to witness the 21st century transformation of the transportation business and eventually be part of it.
Elon stated it would take years to fullfill the pre-orders taken for Cybertruck. I believe it won't outsell the Model Y due to manufacturing capacity and design reasons. Its too polarizing for mainstream while the Model Y will sell like hotcakes (and has the dedicated line to produce as many as it wants). I bet VW wishes it bought Tesla a couple years back. If it reaches $1200 stock price, it will exceed Toyota value
Old 02-04-20 | 10:33 AM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

i got me popcorn ready source

Old 02-04-20 | 10:45 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Stock is spiking because the naysayers suddenly realized their FUD campaign failed and now they gotta be in the cool Tesla stock crowd or look like even bigger fools. But they'll faceplant out again because there will be too many buyers the stock will drop and they'll lose money. Safe bet for me is hold long term I've said this from the beginning.

Quick Reply: The Term 'Tesla Killers' Is Dead: OEM Struggles Prove Tesla's Worth