Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Red Light Cameras in S. California Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-03, 05:15 PM
squarehat
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question Red Light Cameras in S. California Question

A buddy of mine just moved out to L.A., and called me this afternoon to say that he was making a left turn, and as he was making the turn, the light went red, and his car got "flashed" by a red light camera. He wanted to know if everybody who got "flashed" got a ticket, or whether they're reviewed by humans (like to see if somebody was waiting in the middle of the intersection to turn left when the light changed). I promised him I'd post on CL since there's such a large member base from southern CA. What happens if he does indeed get a ticket (e.g. fine amount, points on license, etc.)? Thanks for your input.
Old 08-29-03, 09:33 PM
LB Lex
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If someone gets a ticket via red-light-camera, it is the same as getting a ticket by a cop, therefore, the fine, points, etc apply. The person would most likely be cited for failing to stop at a red light (aka running a red light). This applies to making a right-hand turn too. You have to stop before you make a right-turn when the light is red.

Oh, and someone reviews the photos before a ticket is issued.
Old 08-29-03, 11:11 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I went to traffic school a few months ago and they were discussing those cameras. Basically if you're caught with those cameras you're pretty much set to get a ticket. There are many strict criterias that need to be met before the camera will actually take a picture (for example, the car's location, the actual light position, if the lights are calibrated in the past 2 weeks, if the camera was calibrated in the last 5 days, etc.) It's very very hard to fight a camera ticket vs. fighting a police officer ticket. There could be human errors (actually, often) when cited by a police officer, but those cameras don't lie. If you're caught with it then that means you REALLY did it, and you pretty much can't get away from it.

I would be happier to be caught with a camera than a police officer because then I'll know I REALLY ran the red light or something, instead of arguing with some guy.
Old 08-29-03, 11:37 PM
SC300Es
Pole Position

Received 63 Likes on 44 Posts

I was under the impression you only got a ticket with no points in this case. Afterall, they have no idea who's driving the car.

Ed
Old 08-30-03, 02:49 AM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by SC300Es
I was under the impression you only got a ticket with no points in this case. Afterall, they have no idea who's driving the car.

Ed
they used to take 2 pics of inside the cabin. 1 from directly in front, 1 from the side.

until they took a pic of a guy with his mistress and mailed it to his house. he sued and won. they're not taking cabin pics anymore (invasion of privacy i guess)
Old 08-30-03, 06:54 PM
LS4fun
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by GlobeCLK
they used to take 2 pics of inside the cabin. 1 from directly in front, 1 from the side.

until they took a pic of a guy with his mistress and mailed it to his house. he sued and won. they're not taking cabin pics anymore (invasion of privacy i guess)

He sued, he won, and his wife filed for divorce and got all the money! American Dream!