Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2021 Cadillac Escalade

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-20, 12:22 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
The second gen Escalade he's driving there did have a bad interior but other than that was a solid truck and a massive success. It had the big 6.0 with 345hp which made it a beast. Nothing it competed with came close to catching it for power, and it won comparison tests.

Pigs would fly before they'd ever get it. That was a solid, very powerful truck. Here with our massive country and huge roads, cheap fuel, insane amount of outdoorsy people with boats to tow (unlike there where it's cold and rainy 90% of the time), the Escalade fit the bill quite nicely.
So much for the Escalade being a "solid truck".

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dSG...VS0OVyoG9/view
Old 02-20-20, 12:31 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 235 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
So much for the Escalade being a "solid truck".

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dSG...VS0OVyoG9/view
It's not because America-bashing Clarkson drove a Range Rover up a hill? He thinks any vehicle from England is pure gold.

Look at sales numbers of the second gen Escalade.
Old 02-20-20, 12:32 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by JDR76
Really? I'm seeing lighting glare on the top left of the instrument cluster and left screen, with reflections all over. I can imagine what would happen on a sunny day.

To be clear, I would define glare to be bright light, whether provided by or reflected off the screen.
I do see it in this picture. I guess I was looking at another one.
Old 02-20-20, 12:33 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,981 Posts

It's not because America-bashing Clarkson drove a Range Rover up a hill? He thinks any vehicle from England is pure gold.

Look at sales numbers of the second gen Escalade.
Of course he does, hes british lol. Hating on America is a shtick.
Old 02-20-20, 06:04 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Clarkson has a point (in regards to the bit he did), if you need a dual purpose vehicle, a range rover is your only option (EDIT next to say a boxy G wagon). The caddy has zero credibility as a offroad machine nor overlanding. But for a luxury yacht you cant deny the Escalade.
Old 02-20-20, 06:40 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Of course he does, hes british lol. Hating on America is a shtick.
Clarkson also thinks the 2Gen Lexus SC430 is the worst car ever designed. I have to disagree. While the back seat is a joke (for all intents and purposes, they should have made it a 2-seater) and the overall body shape is awkward, it's hard to rank such a beautiful interior/dash and excellent materials so poorly. The materials that Lexus uses inside most of its vehicles today couldn't hold a candle to that.
Old 02-20-20, 06:42 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by coolsaber
Clarkson has a point (in regards to the bit he did), if you need a dual purpose vehicle, a range rover is your only option (EDIT next to say a boxy G wagon). The caddy has zero credibility as a offroad machine nor overlanding. But for a luxury yacht you cant deny the Escalade.
An Escalade with proper off road tires (not 22" rims and zero sidewall tires) would be quite capable off road. It has real 4WD with low range and a very stout BOF platform. Older Escalades were stuck with AWD which I thought was a stupid move.

And Clarkson is dead wrong- you need a Land Cruiser or LX, not a RR for that. There's a reason you don't see Range Rovers in the desert lol. Clarkson never seems to ever mention that English vehicles are among the worst for reliability.
Old 02-20-20, 06:46 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

And Clarkson is dead wrong- you need a Land Cruiser or LX, not a RR for that. There's a reason you don't see Range Rovers in the desert lol. Clarkson never seems to ever mention that English vehicles are among the worst for reliability.
Many decades ago, you saw Land Rovers not only in the desert but the primitive African jungles as well...but those Land Rovers were a different class (and much more reliable) than Later LR products.

Today, I totally agree with you.......LC or LX for the worst conditions.

Older Escalades were stuck with AWD which I thought was a stupid move.
Probably two reasons for that. One, buyers were probably not as likely to take an Escalade, with its nicer trim, off-road, and get it scratched up, than they would a cheaper Suburban. Two, the long wheelbase and wide stance of these vehicles are not conducive to rock-crawling and/or tight spaces off-road.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-20-20 at 06:50 PM.
Old 02-20-20, 07:28 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a3...e-oled-screen/

Craig Zinser, director of Cadillac's infotainment division, says his team found ways to lengthen the life of its OLEDs; he estimates they'll last at least 15 years. Keep that in mind when you're looking to pick up an Escalade on the used market seven years from now.
Old 02-20-20, 09:37 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Clarkson also thinks the 2Gen Lexus SC430 is the worst car ever designed. I have to disagree. While the back seat is a joke (for all intents and purposes, they should have made it a 2-seater) and the overall body shape is awkward, it's hard to rank such a beautiful interior/dash and excellent materials so poorly. The materials that Lexus uses inside most of its vehicles today couldn't hold a candle to that.
Its all just a schtick lol
Old 02-20-20, 10:15 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Its all just a schtick lol
Yes, but not without merit.
Old 02-20-20, 10:50 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
Yes, but not without merit.
Schtick always has merit that’s why it’s funny
Old 02-20-20, 11:07 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Probably two reasons for that. One, buyers were probably not as likely to take an Escalade, with its nicer trim, off-road, and get it scratched up, than they would a cheaper Suburban. Two, the long wheelbase and wide stance of these vehicles are not conducive to rock-crawling and/or tight spaces off-road.
Oh, I get it. I totally see why it and the Denali were AWD....you don't fuss with it. Worked fine for what it was intended for.

It's just more of my preference that if I have a genuine truck I'm driving, I want a dedicated, selectable 4x4 setup.

However, do notice that the current Escalade (now on way out) abandoned the AWD and went back to 4X4. The Denali did, too.

Also, agreed about the SC430 interior. Stunning build quality and materials.
Old 02-21-20, 04:44 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

However, do notice that the current Escalade (now on way out) abandoned the AWD and went back to 4X4. The Denali did, too.

s.
I think the outgoing generation of Escalade was full time 4wd (like LX570)
Old 02-21-20, 05:34 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

I would be surprised if the new Escalade is old school 4wd. It is probably full time AWD with electronically lockable center diff. Either way, offroading has never been its prowess.

Quick Reply: 2021 Cadillac Escalade