Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2021 Cadillac Escalade

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-20, 07:22 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
I would be surprised if the new Escalade is old school 4wd. It is probably full time AWD with electronically lockable center diff. Either way, offroading has never been its prowess.

I don't think the Escalade (even the Escalade EXT, the twin to the Chevy Avalanche pickup) ever had part-time 4WD...that would be unbefitting something the Cadillac nameplate. Part-Time 4WD, with no center differential (and unable to be used on dry pavement), was an El Cheapo off-toad system for lower-line trucks and body-on-frame SUVs, and itself is mostly gone now.
Old 02-21-20, 07:54 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I don't think the Escalade (even the Escalade EXT, the twin to the Chevy Avalanche pickup) ever had part-time 4WD...that would be unbefitting something the Cadillac nameplate. Part-Time 4WD, with no center differential (and unable to be used on dry pavement), was an El Cheapo off-toad system for lower-line trucks and body-on-frame SUVs, and itself is mostly gone now.
First gen Cadillac Escalade used part time 4WD. Part time is still around for every body on frame manufacturer.
Old 02-21-20, 08:03 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
First gen Cadillac Escalade used part time 4WD. Part time is still around for every body on frame manufacturer.

I don't remember it having part-time 4WD, but I won't say you're wrong....it is unlikely but possible. I just couldn't find any verification of it.
Old 02-21-20, 08:33 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,981 Posts

First Escalade was 20 years ago lol
Old 02-21-20, 09:27 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

I don't remember it having part-time 4WD, but I won't say you're wrong....it is unlikely but possible. I just couldn't find any verification of it.
Only Toyota and Lexus had a full time. Range Rover too (I think). The Cadillac Escalade has a really crappy system compared to its peers, only thing it has was an AUTO engage feature . It also had leaf springs from the pick ups.
Old 02-21-20, 09:33 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 235 Likes on 197 Posts

Current BOF GM trucks have regular 4x4, including Escalade.

If someone wants "AWD," just put it in auto and when wheel slippage occurs, power is sent up front almost instantly.

Nothing non-luxurious about that. That's ideal. There's a nice switch off to the side, it's not like you have to manually do it and lock hubs lol.

My now 4 generation old Yukon is like that and I just leave it in 2. But it connects virtually instantly into 4WD if put in auto when the roads are slick.
Old 02-22-20, 10:20 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by AJT123
Current BOF GM trucks have regular 4x4, including Escalade.

If someone wants "AWD," just put it in auto and when wheel slippage occurs, power is sent up front almost instantly.

But that is still not true AWD. I think the second generation Escalade was AWD.
Old 02-22-20, 11:33 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

But that is still not true AWD. I think the second generation Escalade was AWD.
I know, but it might as well be. I fishtail all over the place on slick roads if I'm not careful when my truck is in "2". If I hit "auto" it makes it impossible to do that. It's instant.

I actually prefer that setup because 99% of the time you're in "2" and not putting any "drag" on the system.

Old 02-22-20, 12:11 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Only Toyota and Lexus had a full time. Range Rover too (I think). The Cadillac Escalade has a really crappy system compared to its peers, only thing it has was an AUTO engage feature . It also had leaf springs from the pick ups.

Well, if it has an AUTO function, then that is not true part-time 4WD, which lacks a center differential and can only be used off road or on slick surfaces which allow tire-slip. The Auto function is essentially 4WD on-demand, which automatically engages it when the primary-drive-wheels start to spin.
Old 02-22-20, 12:14 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Well, if it has an AUTO function, then that is not true part-time 4WD, which lacks a center differential and can only be used off road or on slick surfaces which allow tire-slip. The Auto function is essentially 4WD on-demand, which automatically engages it when the primary-drive-wheels start to spin.
Its still part time.
Old 02-22-20, 12:15 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Whenever I go mudding I just leave it in Auto.
Old 02-22-20, 12:25 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,981 Posts

Just because it has an auto mode doesn’t mean it doesn’t have a locking center differential.
Old 02-22-20, 12:27 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Its still part time.
TRUE part-time 4WD is an archaic, decades-old design that does not have an AUTO function. It can't go into an auto-mode, because it does not have a center-differential to adapt to changing road conditions.

I think what you are doing, Jill, is confusing the so-called "part time" operation of AUTO AWD in 2WD mode (when 4WD is not needed), with the primitive part-time 4WD system that went out long ago on all but some low-level pickups and Jeep Wranglers. Both could be considered "part-time"...but, in fact, are two entirely different systems....one with a center-diff, and the other without.
Old 02-22-20, 12:38 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

TRUE part-time 4WD is an archaic, decades-old design that does not have an AUTO function. It can't go into an auto-mode, because it does not have a center-differential to adapt to changing road conditions.

I think what you are doing, Jill, is confusing the so-called "part time" operation of AUTO AWD in 2WD mode (when 4WD is not needed), with the primitive part-time 4WD system that went out long ago on all but some low-level pickups and Jeep Wranglers. Both could be considered "part-time"...but, in fact, are two entirely different systems....one with a center-diff, and the other withou.
The auto 4WD in the original Escalade does not have a center differential. The original Escalade has a part time 4WD system...it just happens to have AUTO mode that shifts it into 4WD for you...but it can’t stay in 4WD...in goes back to 2WD.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 02-22-20 at 01:05 PM.
Old 02-24-20, 04:18 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,513 Likes on 1,652 Posts

this thread is about the 2021 escalade, so maybe we can take (yet another) discussion of bof and ancient 4wd systems elsewhere.

Quick Reply: 2021 Cadillac Escalade