Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2021 Cadillac Escalade

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-20, 03:59 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
Lol what do you care? I do not like the direction cars and trucks are headed in. I'm pretty old-school. We will be forced to drive around in BS Jetsonmobiles at least by the time I'm old, so I enjoy what I like while I can.
Ok Scotty.

J/k of course, I do not like all newer trends myself
Old 03-01-20, 03:59 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,737 Likes on 1,959 Posts

Keep your old cars in good shape lol. Progress is marching forward whether you like it or not.
Old 03-01-20, 04:53 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Keep your old cars in good shape lol. Progress is marching forward whether you like it or not.
Well not all new trends are good. I do not know anyone who actually likes the current trend of slapping giant obnoxious grilles onto cars that once had classy styling. The Escalade was probably the original and the worst offender when it debuted with ghetto grille, and I am glad the new one did not retain this ridiculous styling. Hopefully the whole trend gets reversed industry wide.
Old 03-01-20, 04:54 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
Well not all new trends are good. I do not know anyone who actually likes the current trend of slapping giant obnoxious grilles onto cars that once had classy styling. The Escalade was probably the original and the worst offender when it debuted with ghetto grille, and I am glad the new one did not retain this ridiculous styling. Hopefully the whole trend gets reversed industry wide.
They aren’t good in your opinion.

Old 03-01-20, 05:07 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

It is always about the opinions, otherwise we would have nothing to discuss in Car Chat.
Old 03-01-20, 06:37 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Don't want to get too far off topic (we're already far enough off as it is) but my late father was like that. He was (seriously) addicted to early-to-mid-1960s Chrysler products, particularly with the durable 3.7L Slant-Six and the smaller 4.5L and 5.2L V8s. He liked their drivetrains, unibody/solidness and torsion/leaf suspension, even though I found them noisy, unrefined, lousy carburetors, and with sub-standard drum brakes. That's one reason while, when I was still living at home with him, I first learned to drive on Plymouth Valiant slant-sixes with both manual and automatic transmissions. He drove strictly Valiants and the earlier Valiant-based Barracudas for some 25 years, up till his passing from cancer in 1988....and refused to own ANY vehicle with emission controls. He never liked the idea of my switching to Buicks in college (he considered them mush-mobiles), but they were clearly my favorite brand back then.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-01-20 at 06:42 PM.
Old 03-01-20, 06:39 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Good point, AJT. You hit the nail on the head......newer is not always better.

But, even there, I think there are some limits. I would never want another vehicle with a carburetor, breaker-point ignition, pre-clearcoat paint, drum brakes, or a non-synchronized manual shift.
I somewhat agree with this. I think the way prices are just driving upwards....lost of stuff that maybe people just don’t want
Old 03-01-20, 06:58 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I somewhat agree with this. I think the way prices are just driving upwards....lost of stuff that maybe people just don’t want
Can't get into all the reasons why because of CL political-restrictions, but much of the equipment put on new vehicles, driving the prices up, is due not only to what some customers want, but what the government requires, regardless of customer likes/dislikes.
Old 03-01-20, 07:00 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Except that when you adjust for inflation, vehicle prices are not up and are in fact if anything down.
Old 03-01-20, 07:08 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Can't get into all the reasons why because of CL political-restrictions, but much of the equipment put on new vehicles, driving the prices up, is due not only to what some customers want, but what the government requires, regardless of customer likes/dislikes.
People are also tricked/influenced into leasing more than ever before. The lower end luxury brand names were never even a question in my younger days. Now I hear about cheap leases and average car prices that don’t reflect what average people actually making Saw a RC F sport with all the options for $699 and 48mo. Buying something at that price point barely gets a Camry or anything at the average price point of a new buy. Just a different world today.
Old 03-01-20, 07:33 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Leases have existed for the last 30+ years and leasing was just as big a part of financing luxury cars 20 years ago as it is today.

I remember the days of Ford/Lincoln’s Red Carpet lease, GMAC SmartLease...both in the late 80s early 90s

$699 is a terrible deal for an RC F Sport. Was it an RC-F?
Old 03-01-20, 07:48 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

I don't like any of that, on any vehicle. I want a shifter directly connected to the transmission.
sorry to break it to you, but the "shifter" you use now isnt connected to the transmission at all. You are merely moving switches in an electrical circuit to activate solenoids to control the transmission, this has been the case for a long time for automatics. Any modern transmission that still has a shifter is literally a waste of space (mainly on the center console) due to the electrically controlled nature of modern automatics. It's just there to appease traditionalists that dont know any better. Just look at what a modern automatic looks like, there is no mechanical linkage on the casing, just electrical connectors as an interface

buy a manual if you want direct connection, modern automatics arent connected

funny thing is he would look the other way if i did the opposite and did grocery getting in my viper. But its frowned upon when you do it in a truck for some reason.

Last edited by 4TehNguyen; 03-01-20 at 08:00 PM.
Old 03-01-20, 08:09 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
buy a manual if you want direct connection, modern automatics arent connected
Not many vehicles offer them anymore, outside of some sports cars/sports-sedans and the cheapest of the El-Cheapo sub-compacts.

Old 03-07-20, 09:28 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Lol what do you care? I do not like the direction cars and trucks are headed in. I'm pretty old-school. We will be forced to drive around in BS Jetsonmobiles at least by the time I'm old, so I enjoy what I like while I can.
Some people do not like to drive or embrace new styles. Nothing wrong with that. I kinda don't like the new tablet styled Toyota cars they are not doing. I don't really like the new LX refresh compared to the LX570 upon debut. Sometimes it takes time to embrace stuff. Not really a fan of all the nanny stuff.
Old 03-07-20, 09:34 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

It simply becomes tiresome whenever there is a thread where some new design is debuted we have to endure the thread being taken over by commentary from the same 4-5 people about old car designs and how theyre better and how they dont like this feature or that feature..and how all of this was done better 20 years ago...its quite annoying.

We have forums where old models and old ways of doing things are discussed. This is happening in EVERY thread in CarChat about a new model right now. Every one. Discussion of the new Escalade turns into complaining about gearshifts being connected to transmissions. Discussion of the S450 turns into a discussion about how carmakers should use spare tires like they used to. On and on and on.

Quick Reply: 2021 Cadillac Escalade