Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

KBB 3 row suv comparison

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-20 | 08:09 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Default KBB 3 row suv comparison

great video... and yes, up front they say they couldn't get a new highlander in the comparison which i believe would have beaten the explorer and pilot but not the k cousins.

ford is truly delusional with their explorer pricing.

Old 02-05-20 | 11:30 AM
Wandl
Lexus Test Driver

Ford is delusional on their Escape pricing and Ranger pricing too. Heavy rebates and incentives just kills the resale values of these vehicles which then becomes a race towards the bottom. Such a contrast from Lincoln's pricing strategy...
Old 02-08-20 | 01:48 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Wandl
Ford is delusional on their Escape pricing and Ranger pricing too. Heavy rebates and incentives just kills the resale values of these vehicles which then becomes a race towards the bottom. Such a contrast from Lincoln's pricing strategy...
Is Lincoln’s resale any better?
Old 02-08-20 | 07:10 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Good video on KBB's part. I generally agree with the rankings they made....though, in the looks department, I'd consider the Palisade a little better-looking than the Telluride. KBB is also right on the money when they say that, in their opinion, even wth the loss of console-space, the Kia's traditional fore/aft shifter is far preferable to the push-button and rotary-shifters in the others.

Bitkahuna is correct that the Explorer is clearly overpriced for what you get. Along with the Chevy Blazer, I thought they were the two most disappointing new SUVs I've looked at for the money. Perhaps now that Ford is getting a new COO (I've got a thread going on that), he might be in a position to order a rollback on the Explorer's pricing....we'll see.

The new Highlander, of course, was missing. From what I saw of the new Highlander at the D.C. auto show, its general fit and finish beats the Korean twins, and absolutely trounces that of the Explorer. But I have no idea of how it drives, so I'm not sure of just where it would fit in the the rankings.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-08-20 at 07:18 PM.
Old 02-10-20 | 08:32 AM
Wandl
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Is Lincoln’s resale any better?
By percentage, arguably yes.
This was a concerted effort by Lincoln to reduce both incentives and fleet sales
https://www.motorauthority.com/news/...t-resale-value

Old 02-10-20 | 08:44 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Wandl
By percentage, arguably yes.
This was a concerted effort by Lincoln to reduce both incentives and fleet sales
https://www.motorauthority.com/news/...t-resale-value
Thanks for the post. Interesting info.
Old 02-10-20 | 08:46 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Good video on KBB's part. I generally agree with the rankings they made....though, in the looks department, I'd consider the Palisade a little better-looking than the Telluride. KBB is also right on the money when they say that, in their opinion, even wth the loss of console-space, the Kia's traditional fore/aft shifter is far preferable to the push-button and rotary-shifters in the others.

Bitkahuna is correct that the Explorer is clearly overpriced for what you get. Along with the Chevy Blazer, I thought they were the two most disappointing new SUVs I've looked at for the money. Perhaps now that Ford is getting a new COO (I've got a thread going on that), he might be in a position to order a rollback on the Explorer's pricing....we'll see.

The new Highlander, of course, was missing. From what I saw of the new Highlander at the D.C. auto show, its general fit and finish beats the Korean twins, and absolutely trounces that of the Explorer. But I have no idea of how it drives, so I'm not sure of just where it would fit in the the rankings.
Dealers have had the Highlander since early December. Disappointing they did not have it at the Washington Auto Show.
Old 02-10-20 | 11:27 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Dealers have had the Highlander since early December. Disappointing they did not have it at the Washington Auto Show.

There was at least one or two 2020 Highlanders at the D.C. Show, out on the floor, unlocked. I checked out one myself, although Toyota, this year (unusual for them), did not have a show test-drive circuit set up this year, at least when I was there. I think I remember Steve also saying he checked out the new Highlander at the show.
Old 02-11-20 | 07:36 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

There were like 4 new Highlanders at the DC show.
Old 02-11-20 | 07:49 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

i think mmarshall was saying it was missing from this kbb comparison.
Old 02-11-20 | 08:08 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i think mmarshall was saying it was missing from this kbb comparison.

Yes, it would probably have made a credible competitor. It doesn't sell in the huge numbers that it does for nothing. I agree with you, though, that, up against the excellent Telluride and Palisade, it will have its work cut out for it.
Old 02-11-20 | 11:59 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Yes, it would probably have made a credible competitor.
they made it clear up front there wasn't one available to them for comparison. I think they should redo it when they do have one available.
Old 02-12-20 | 03:13 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

It doesn't sell in the huge numbers that it does for nothing.
I think it’s the best selling. But I’m not exactly sure