Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

How does Lexus keep winning so many dependability awards?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-20, 11:41 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
Toyota is comparable to its competitors but Lexus is definitely behind. Compare engines...the 3L Turbo for BMW has been around since last generation and produces 450hp in the M3. The newer iterations will do far more with better gas mileage and Lexus only recently released a 3.5L turbo (i'm not going to even going to mention their BMW's V8 turbo line). Their transmissions are also much much more responsive. BMW chassis weigh less than comparable Lexus chassis due to their higher use of aluminum and other chassis technology (the IS was a couple hundred lbs heavier than a 3 series and smaller) . They have wireless Apple carplay, and gesture control in their infotainment (and their infotainment is far better).

This is just an example from 1 other luxury manufacturer...Mercedes and Audi are comparable to BMW but outdo Lexus in tech.
Lexus is comparable but it all depends on how one views technology. For example, the Lexus LS500 at 416hp is far superior to the BMW 7 series I6 rated at 335hp..also has 112 more tq.....A perfect example at how Lexus technology is superior...(on the flip side, Lexus has no V8...) Number of transmissions speeds 10 over 8 in favor of the LS...adapative LED lighting favors the LS....Lexus LS also has a few world first when it comes to safety. 1. safety system that steers around cars 2. headups display that identifies pedestrians 3. blind spot monitors for front crossways......Yes, BMW has more powerful engines or other tech, but the point is Lexus also has tech too.....I think there is a difference between "liking" Lexus tech and those that say Lexus is "behind" in their tech.

The Germans have always had superior HP ratings (since 1990)...so its not the end of the world.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 02-11-20 at 11:44 AM.
Old 02-11-20, 11:43 AM
mbarron37
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

Cherry picking certain models that have been refreshed. What about the dinosaurs of Tundra, Sequoia, Land Cruiser, LX, GX and 4Runner? They have done a great job in some areas, but have been sleeping in other areas for sure.
Old 02-11-20, 11:48 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by coolsaber
whiles others have been moving at light speed. .
Others have always moved at light speed...However, there are lots of examples of Toyota or Lexus first technologies

C
Old 02-11-20, 12:06 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Kira X
They’ve used some of their engines for ten years now. .
Lexus used their UZ engines for 24 years. It was ok then but not now? How old are the engines in the Genesis sedans? How old are the MB V12 motors?
Old 02-11-20, 05:56 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,740 Likes on 1,961 Posts

Lexus is very behind in tech. All you have to do is sit in a Lexus and a BMW or Audi or MB and it’s immediately apparent.

The argument that they are not behind just “different”
doesn’t hold any water.
Old 02-11-20, 06:01 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

The is a wide spectrum and wide interpretation of what is tech. There is fine in the areas in some areas and not so fine in others. Same with everyone else.
Old 02-11-20, 06:05 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I don’t agree. I don’t see anyplace technologically where Lexus is not behind their competitors. Infotainment, driver aid tech, Demi-autonomous driving, phone integration, it goes on and on.

They have some decent tech in the LS500, but only in the LS and it doesn’t extend to any other model while other manufacturers have a much wider availability of their more cutting edge technologies.

Lexus is truly for people who really don’t care about technology.
Old 02-12-20, 12:01 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,462 Likes on 1,615 Posts

Originally Posted by Freds430
Eight years in a row for #1 in dependability by J D Power is an incredible streak and #1 by Consumer Reports. It is not just dependability however because Lexus is #1 in customer loyalty, customer satisfaction, lowest depreciation and third lowest in maintenance cost but by far lowest among the luxury manufacturers. Competition would give anything for #1 in any of these five categories let alone all five. I always go back to all these when someone post Lexus technology is behind.
and yet they are handily outsold by 'horrible' mercedes and bmw.
Old 02-12-20, 12:18 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,462 Likes on 1,615 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
I don't recall widespread issues with the 2GR-FSE when it was introduced in 2006 (I think). 2GR-FE seemed to be pretty solid from the start as well.
The 2GR series has been around since 2002. It's kind of like the nissan/infiniti vq... available in lots of variants and refined over time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_GR_engine

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
They have new engines, UX has a state of the art 2.0l,
Surely you're joking. Gutless and noisy. 169hp, 0-60 in 8.9 seconds. Read this review...

https://www.caranddriver.com/lexus/ux

3.5tt is pretty damn impressive.
It's a nice engine, on a car costing 90K+ it should be nice. The (yes i know) less powerful genesis 3.3tt is available on the g70, g80 and g90. It would be nice if lexus offered the 3.5tt on more models.

New transmissions. Updates to infotainment. Unparalleled hybrid technology.
Transmissions are fine, infotainment almost universally trashed in reviews, hybrid is the best their is, but where's the ev's? Hyundai/kia now each have them (they can't make them fast enough) and they've been praised a lot. H/k is planning on rolling out a bunch more ev's quickly.

Case in point, how old are the Genesis engines?
3.3tt came out with 2017 g90 i believe. The 3.8 only in g80 is old for sure, and going away this summer. The 5.0 is old too, and sells in tiny numbers. The 2.0t for g70 - not sure how new but obviously the g70 itself is only a year old.
Old 02-13-20, 09:52 AM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Based on the experience of the 2017 RX 350 we had, I would have to agree with the dependability bit. In 3 years of ownership, literally nothing failed. My wife loved it so much, we just signed up for a new 2020 RX F-Sport this last weekend. Before that she had a 2008 GS 350 that was bought new in 2007, nothing major failed on that car either.
Old 02-13-20, 06:14 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Lexus used their UZ engines for 24 years. It was ok then but not now? How old are the engines in the Genesis sedans? How old are the MB V12 motors?
I assume that you are going to ignore the amount of power that motor makes now vs back decades ago?

Old 02-23-20, 02:11 PM
Benoit
Advanced

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

It's very important that we take some distance here.

BMW is not ahead of their time. I was, at first, also thinking that. But BMW does a lot of mistakes for the sake to ride the hype train. Their engines have more lots of horsepower yes, but suffer carbon buildup and quicker engine failure as payment. Lexus and Toyota do exactly the opposite in this regard, in going port and direct injection, they prevent successfully carbon buildup and a longer run.

They have given the market big horsepower and some sort of lightness. But are defintely behind in hybrid technology and long run toughness. They are starting paying very high fines for their lack of innovation and the exceeding pollution of their fleet, and will defintely suffer in a low emission car future.

They have cool infotainment though. What I not consider to be irrelevant if you want to enjoy a car that you will drive long, because all functions can today. I can clearly imagine that, if a heavy and long lasting economic crisis strikes us, BWM will be one of the brands that will feel the heat hotter than others out there.
Old 02-23-20, 02:51 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

There has to be a happy medium though. Lexus can absolutely be more innovative than they are and retain their reliability.
Old 02-23-20, 02:56 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS
There has to be a happy medium though. Lexus can absolutely be more innovative than they are and retain their reliability.
Theie new engines they are bringing to market are quite innovative. Some say the LS500 V6 is the most advanced engine they have ever seen in the tuning circuit. The amount of power vs size as well as their hybrid motors are quite good. The hybrid are unparalleled. Multi-mode hybrid transmissions or whatever they actually call it. Safety tech is very competitive. It’s not all Apple Car Play which you said time and time again is the only thing you use now...so it can’t be their infotainment stuff.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 02-23-20 at 03:24 PM.
Old 02-23-20, 03:40 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Benoit
It's very important that we take some distance here.

BMW is not ahead of their time. I was, at first, also thinking that. But BMW does a lot of mistakes for the sake to ride the hype train. Their engines have more lots of horsepower yes, but suffer carbon buildup and quicker engine failure as payment. Lexus and Toyota do exactly the opposite in this regard, in going port and direct injection, they prevent successfully carbon buildup and a longer run.

They have given the market big horsepower and some sort of lightness. But are defintely behind in hybrid technology and long run toughness. They are starting paying very high fines for their lack of innovation and the exceeding pollution of their fleet, and will defintely suffer in a low emission car future.

They have cool infotainment though. What I not consider to be irrelevant if you want to enjoy a car that you will drive long, because all functions can today. I can clearly imagine that, if a heavy and long lasting economic crisis strikes us, BWM will be one of the brands that will feel the heat hotter than others out there.
Haven’t seen your posts for a while. It is nice to read a balanced opinion and viewpoint. I enjoyed reading what you had to say.

Quick Reply: How does Lexus keep winning so many dependability awards?