Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

A little junkyard stroll

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-20, 08:37 AM
RX469
Pole Position

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Thanks for sharing the junkyard pics. What jumped out at me is how well organized the cars are and not just thrown in there.
Old 02-14-20, 10:51 AM
Johnny Mayday
CL Town Crier

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

Awesome post! I love junkyard posts, and MI seems to have some great ones. Given how nice the Jag looks, my guess is that the engine grenaded. This era had plastic cam chain tensioners, and since it was an interference engine, when they failed the engine was toast. They also had gearbox issues, but that was a ZF thing that impacted several other cars, so not entirely Jag's fault there. Cam thing was an easy fix, so a lot of these actually made it well past 100k!

Old 02-14-20, 10:57 AM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

What's keeping cars like this one on the rims from moving forward or backward?

Originally Posted by Och
Wow, that NX2000 - I used to see a number of these back in the 90ies and early 2000's, and have completely forgot about the existence of that car. I still see Toyota Paseos on the road, albeit very rare. These were very cool super compacts.
Yeah, when I saw that NX, it brought memories when I first learned to drive stick in a pulsar NX
Old 02-14-20, 11:01 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 297 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
What's keeping cars like this one on the rims from moving forward or backward?
The rims under the rims. Wheels roll really easily on flat ground. inside a hole, not so much.
Old 02-14-20, 12:08 PM
Arsenii
Pole Position

Received 793 Likes on 665 Posts

Originally Posted by jwong77
Very cool thread, thanks for sharing! That NX2000 is cool, I remember back then there was a similar Mazda product, I think it was the MX-3. I wonder if they were designed together. Another cool car from the 90's is the Subaru SVX, with the window within a window.
Hmm, I've heard about MX3, but I never thought that those went past the drawing board..
SVX was an astonishing car, I even saw a few passing by.. Wonder why Subaru stopped producing cars like that? I just hope to never see it there..

Originally Posted by Och
There is just something very cool and nostalgic about these 90ies Japanese compacts. I was a teen in the 90ies but I always loved seeing them on the road.
You know that feeling when you see some of those cars, you just grab a chair, sit and look at it until the place closes? Frankly, it was very hard for me to leave that place..

Originally Posted by RX469
Thanks for sharing the junkyard pics. What jumped out at me is how well organized the cars are and not just thrown in there.
That is actually even more than that, all the cars there are separated in specific categories, like pickups, classics, SUV's etc. I found it to be the easiest junkyard to navigate through. Not to mention how clean it is there..

Originally Posted by Johnny Mayday
Awesome post! I love junkyard posts, and MI seems to have some great ones. Given how nice the Jag looks, my guess is that the engine grenaded. This era had plastic cam chain tensioners, and since it was an interference engine, when they failed the engine was toast. They also had gearbox issues, but that was a ZF thing that impacted several other cars, so not entirely Jag's fault there. Cam thing was an easy fix, so a lot of these actually made it well past 100k!
Indeed so, there are a lot of really interesting cars there, the only problem is that they are all rusted through, inside and out. I even saw a 2008 Dodge Challenger with its side skirts rusted shut on my way to the junkyard..

About the Jaguar - that is an interesting theory.. It didn't cross my mind that the hood on this car opens toward the front, i realized it only when came home... I am not done with this junkyard though, I still need a couple more parts, so I may also check that.. But only when it will get at least a tad bit warmer, since we have 12 degrees right now.

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
Yeah, when I saw that NX, it brought memories when I first learned to drive stick in a pulsar NX
Pulsar NX? That is one beautiful car, especially that universal EXA N13.. Never seen those around here though, California is probably the only state where those were able to survive..
Old 02-14-20, 12:10 PM
DDLexus
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

I used to visit junk yards out of necessity when I owned a Saab 900 Turbo SPG back in the day. Now i visit to see what treasures i might find. Here are a few photos from my recent trips.

Old 02-14-20, 12:47 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,612 Likes on 1,028 Posts

I remember the MX-3. As I recall, it had the worlds smallest mass produced V6, at 1.8 liters.
Old 02-14-20, 04:21 PM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Heres one I Googled up.
Old 02-22-20, 08:49 PM
Arsenii
Pole Position

Received 793 Likes on 665 Posts
Default Round #2

The second run revealed a bit more interesting details.. The most curious one out of them is that I came there for an engine part, but all 1MZ-FE and 3MZ-FE engines are completely gone.. Not a single MZ engine is left in that area, they are just gone.... Not the slightest bit of an idea what is going on in there..

Moving on to something "less" depressing:

I finally worked out a way to open the hood on that Jaguar.. BTW, I was a bit surprised to find out that ll the electronics in that car is done by Denso..

And with that, I also found a true reason why it is there.. It turned out that I was a tad bit optimistic with my initial estimates..

The most ingenious lug wrench I've ever seen.. It is retractable to gain more leverage without taking precious room. And it does indeed seem to work alright..

Going back to some unexpected surprises, never in my life I thought that Daewoo Lanos was sold here, since, let's be honest, there is not a single point of it being sold here. That is probably the reason why all that magnificence appeared there with only 50,000 miles on the clock.. And don't be fooled, no one took those headlights, they are just in the interior for some reason.

Disappointed over the fact that I didn't find any MZ engine around, I came to a different junkyard, only to realize that it also lacks those. But it wasn't a total waste of time, I still found a pristine looking 1981–1991 Jaguar XJS, which it seems like it came straight out of the auction, since it still has all of those marketing claims. Care for some Jaguar V12? It is a shame to see it like that, since, as Wikipedia states, there are only 73,207 built. At least I saw one of those up close..

Jaguar XJS from the back. No idea where that "Trinity" badge came from..

What do you think? Maybe you have some other cool junkyard stories to spice things up a bit? This story is not over just yet.. At least I hope so, since I still haven't found a single MZ engine around...

Last edited by Arsenii; 02-22-20 at 08:53 PM.
Old 02-24-20, 02:23 PM
Johnny Mayday
CL Town Crier

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Wow, that NX2000 - I used to see a number of these back in the 90ies and early 2000's, and have completely forgot about the existence of that car. I still see Toyota Paseos on the road, albeit very rare. These were very cool super compacts.
I forgot about those too! Weird that you never see them on the road!