Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

A little junkyard stroll

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-20, 05:28 AM
Arsenii
Pole Position

Received 793 Likes on 665 Posts
Post A little junkyard stroll

Hello,

I have no idea if you guys are interested in that kind of stuff, so I figured why not to share one of my junkyard experiences, which turned out to be a bit more abnormal than usual..

It all started when I broke the connector on the voltage regulator, I figured I would just go to the junkyard and pull it off of there. That is when I found a very interesting place full of undiscovered treasures. There was everything I could think off, from 1960's Mercedeses to some RX-8s.. There is just a ton of some valuable classics around, and it indeed pains to watch those cars rotting away, especially that realization that no matter what you do, some of those will never run again..

Adress: U-Pull And Save Auto Parts, 240 E Columbia Ave, Pontiac, MI 48340.

Not an expert on American classics.. But there is a good old Beetle in the back.

It seems like some kind of 1959–1968 Mercedes W111. This one is especially dreadful to see at the junkyard, even in this condition, it is still worth restoring, since it is extraordinary rare, and it still has its engine and interior remnants in place... I already tried contacting Mercedes-Benz Classics department, and received a response that they refuse to acquire it, but they wished me luck with it, so maybe that will help. So for now, it is up for grabs, or rotting away entirely..

Presumably W111 from the back.

Some while ago it was a 1986–1988 Mazda RX7 FC. Now it is just a remnant of it.. No idea what happened to it, the frame is in good shape, and the engine is gone..

RX-8.. Rest in peace...........

1997–2005 Lexus GS300. This one was actually wrecked in some kind of front end accident.. But otherwise is in fair condition.

GS300 interior. I wonder why airbags haven't exploded? It had some extensive front end damage..

What about some UFOs? Never seen those before.. As it turned out, it is a 1991-1993 Nissan NX2000 - a really rare, but really interesting car.. Wonder why it is there

NX2000 from the back.

NX2000 interior. That roof alone worth a ton..

Some-While-Ago glorious Jaguar XJ. No idea why it is at the junkyard, besides some rust spots and a bad clear coat, there are no body defects.. Maybe it is just Jaguar's nature?

1994–1997 Jaguar XJ from the back.

XJ Interior. No idea what is the mileage on this thing, but the interior is in flawless condition, besides some junkyard nature dangling from the ceiling...

This one is especially dreadful - it's a 1989–1994 Lexus LS400. There is not a lot of them left as it is, and even worse, it doesn't look like a beater, the exterior and the interior are in relatively good condition. Even if it is the engine or transmission that gave out, it had some life left in it at the moment of unavoidable. But now, it is there for good..

1995-2002 Mazda Millenia. Another car that is there for some unknown reason - it is in great condition, even for the junkyard.. Well, it was, before the junkyard fell on it. To be honest, I never liked American version, it just looks weird. Japanese one looks and feels much better, but it doesn't justify its appearance there..

1994-1998 Saab 900. Always loved Saabs, they are just different from the rest, at least were before GM chimed in..

Saab 900 from the back

900 interior. Remember what I wrote about uniqueness?

1998-2002 Isuzu Trooper. It seems like this one got a fair bit of damage done to the back left wheel. And overall, the car was a mess, no wonder why it resides there now.

And finally the car that I was after - 1994–1996 Lexus ES300............ I really, really love this car.. It is very hard to see it there, although this time its presence there is at least somewhat justified, this car is well and truly dead. It is rusted through, the interior is obliterated, and I really doubt that the engine is still operational.. A sorrowful sight...

ES300 from the back. Also, notice gold emblems, this is not just a simple Lexus..

ES300 interior. Just this photo can show the state of affairs..

ES300's service sticker. If it really has less than 213,005 miles, I afraid to imagine who was the owner of this thing.. My 2000 ES300 has 210,000, and is in great shape..

And as a bonus, a little, but much beloved 1991–1995 Toyota Paseo, or is it Cynos? No idea.. Luckily it was on the other side of the junkyard fence.

And some of the all-time classics - my own 1998-2001 Lexus ES300 Platinum Edition. It has some issues here and there, but overall it is a gorgeous car! A bit dirty though..

Please let me know if you are interested in that kind of stuff.. I just hope that this could save at least one valuable classic.

Thank you for visiting!
Old 02-12-20, 06:17 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Wow, that NX2000 - I used to see a number of these back in the 90ies and early 2000's, and have completely forgot about the existence of that car. I still see Toyota Paseos on the road, albeit very rare. These were very cool super compacts.
Old 02-12-20, 07:11 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,612 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Fun thread! Thanks for posting your photos.
Old 02-12-20, 07:51 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Great post. Sad to see those Lexus models in there

Moderator edit: please do not quote long strings of photos.

Last edited by geko29; 02-12-20 at 07:54 AM.
Old 02-12-20, 07:52 AM
Arsenii
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Och
Wow, that NX2000 - I used to see a number of these back in the 90ies and early 2000's, and have completely forgot about the existence of that car. I still see Toyota Paseos on the road, albeit very rare. These were very cool super compacts.
Same here, I always loved the second generation Paseo, it's just a great little city rider.. Could only dream of Paseo with turbo 4A-GE, that would be a blast ..

I wonder why those small Japanese cars, like Toyota Sera, Mazda Astina, Autozam AZ-1, Suzuki Cappuccino, etc were forgotten? In a way, they even shaped the future in which we live now.. Guess I will never receive an answer on that question.......
Old 02-12-20, 09:15 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Arsenii
Same here, I always loved the second generation Paseo, it's just a great little city rider.. Could only dream of Paseo with turbo 4A-GE, that would be a blast ..

I wonder why those small Japanese cars, like Toyota Sera, Mazda Astina, Autozam AZ-1, Suzuki Cappuccino, etc were forgotten? In a way, they even shaped the future in which we live now.. Guess I will never receive an answer on that question.......
Add Honda CRX and Del Sol to that list. I think some of the cars on your list were not on sale in the US.

Honda did try to bring back the CRX as hybrid CRZ model, but it was awful and quickly discontinued.
Old 02-12-20, 09:38 AM
Arsenii
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Och
Add Honda CRX and Del Sol to that list. I think some of the cars on your list were not on sale in the US.

Honda did try to bring back the CRX as hybrid CRZ model, but it was awful and quickly discontinued.
Those are also fabulous, but they are not actually forgotten.. A lot of people still remember and appreciate them, even non-car type ones..

Speaking of Del Sol..

Old 02-12-20, 01:08 PM
riredale
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

I go to our local U-Pull-It junkyard only every couple of years but it's always fun to see all the cars in various states of disassembly. And all the different makes and models under the sun. I was surprised to learn from one of the workers that the typical wreck doesn't stay that long. It comes in, gets picked apart, then goes to the crusher. The junkyard guys who dictate which ones stay and which ones go must have an encyclopedic knowledge of parts values for all the cars. If a car can't pay for its space, out it goes.
Old 02-12-20, 01:13 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,612 Likes on 1,028 Posts

There's a section on www.autoweek.com that is dedicated to "Junkyard Treasures".

Here are a few:

1991 Geo Storm GSi

1980 Honda Accord Hatchback

When the Cheapo Tercel Got the Land Cruiser's Dash Inclinometer
Old 02-12-20, 02:43 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

That '65 Thunderbird in the first image was interesting. My late father had one in the late 1960s. Beautiful car inside and out. I drove it all the way to Ohio and back during one of our family vacations.

Not an expert on American classics.. But there is a good old Beetle in the back.
OK, then, I'll help you out. The '65 T-Bird is on the right. Next to it, in dark red/brown, is a 1958 Ford wagon. Next to that is the red Beetle....an old rear-engine/air-cooled version. The white car is an early-1980s Chevy Cavalier.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-12-20 at 02:51 PM.
Old 02-12-20, 02:47 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

U-Pull And Save Auto Parts looks like a well organized junkyard. Probably easier to shop.
Old 02-13-20, 08:17 AM
Arsenii
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LexBob2
U-Pull And Save Auto Parts looks like a well organized junkyard. Probably easier to shop.
Yeah, I would probably agree on that one, it is really easy to navigate through there, and it has some really nice staff actually.. Especially if compared to some local junkyards, which are an utter mess.

Originally Posted by riredale
I go to our local U-Pull-It junkyard only every couple of years but it's always fun to see all the cars in various states of disassembly. And all the different makes and models under the sun. I was surprised to learn from one of the workers that the typical wreck doesn't stay that long. It comes in, gets picked apart, then goes to the crusher. The junkyard guys who dictate which ones stay and which ones go must have an encyclopedic knowledge of parts values for all the cars. If a car can't pay for its space, out it goes.
Despite their great organization, it is interesting you say that.. It seems like they have a whole section broken out just for this kind of "twisted" museum. In a way, it deserves some appreciation..
Old 02-13-20, 10:31 PM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Very cool thread, thanks for sharing! That NX2000 is cool, I remember back then there was a similar Mazda product, I think it was the MX-3. I wonder if they were designed together. Another cool car from the 90's is the Subaru SVX, with the window within a window.
Old 02-13-20, 11:59 PM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

One of my buddies is a frequent junkyard visitor and usually comes across some cool finds.
Old 02-14-20, 08:36 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jwong77
Very cool thread, thanks for sharing! That NX2000 is cool, I remember back then there was a similar Mazda product, I think it was the MX-3. I wonder if they were designed together. Another cool car from the 90's is the Subaru SVX, with the window within a window.
There is just something very cool and nostalgic about these 90ies Japanese compacts. I was a teen in the 90ies but I always loved seeing them on the road.

Quick Reply: A little junkyard stroll