Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Genesis beats Lexus and ranks #1 brand in JD Power Dependability

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-20, 08:55 AM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

Can't help but notice that Cadillac is now ranked #12 over Hyundai and Kia.
Old 02-12-20, 09:04 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,514 Likes on 1,653 Posts

there's only three value propositions... price, product (features, design, etc.), and service.

genesis is beating lexus on price
genesis is beating lexus on product (in the areas genesis has vehicles) and dependability is obviously part of that which genesis now has won
genesis is beating lexus on service by making it so no owner ever has to drive anywhere for service (i love it)

genesis needs a bigger and smaller suv (smaller gv70 coming later this year or early next year), a coupe, and one or more electric vehicles and they'll really be a force. the good news on the ev front is unlike toyota/lexus, they already have ev's being sold right now all over the world.
Old 02-12-20, 09:07 AM
COOLIS
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

I take these results very lightly. To see Porsche in the number 4 spot, ahead of Toyota, is almost laughable. I have a coworker who has a Cayenne and the transfer case has gone out not once, but twice. Very expensive repair. A friend of a friend bought a Macan at Carmax, and shortly thereafter the transmission failed. Luckily he bought Maxcare and that covered the replacement.
Old 02-12-20, 09:10 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by COOLIS
I take these results very lightly. To see Porsche in the number 4 spot, ahead of Toyota, is almost laughable. I have a coworker who has a Cayenne and the transfer case has gone out not once, but twice. Very expensive repair. A friend of a friend bought a Macan at Carmax, and shortly thereafter the transmission failed. Luckily he bought Maxcare and that covered the replacement.
so the cayenne is out of warranty, how old?

porsches are generally considered VERY reliable.
Old 02-12-20, 09:17 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by rogerh00
Can't help but notice that Cadillac is now ranked #12 over Hyundai and Kia.
Yeah, there are a lot of champions for the Hyundai and Kia brand on here, so they won’t like that. My brother had two Hyundai, his Elantra was not well built, many many problems. Engine had to be replaced. But his Santa Fe has been solid. He did move on from the Hyundai to a different brand after he smashed up his hatchback Elantra

Subaru is quite low as well on the list. Cadillac is hated on this forum, so it’s nice to see Cadillac move up.
Old 02-12-20, 09:20 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by COOLIS
I take these results very lightly. .
So do I. But good for Genesis, well done Too bad they have no dealers to sell.

We have to not forget, Toyota had 6 models and Lexus had 2 top models in each segment. And the ES was the best car overall

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 02-12-20 at 09:33 AM.
Old 02-12-20, 09:21 AM
COOLIS
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

It's a 2013. The first failure was covered under warranty. The second failure, while technically out of warranty, was covered by Porsche as well.

I know this data from JD is based off of only 3 years, so that's why I would take this with a grain of salt. Most cars are reliable over their first 3 years. That's why most comprehensive warranties are generally 3-4 years - low risk for the manufacturer. I'd like to see data from 5-7 years out, and I think the clear leader would still be Toyota and Lexus.
Old 02-12-20, 09:33 AM
Kense
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Porsche is "Very Reliable" because most people don't drive their Porsche's that much. The daily driven ones like Cayanne's and Panamera's have issues. They also are one of the most expensive brands to service. Those reliability survey's also claim Audi is very reliable which to me is BS.
Old 02-12-20, 11:23 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 162 Likes on 120 Posts

by who exactly?
Old 02-12-20, 12:01 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by spwolf
by who exactly?
well certainly by everyone i've ever talked to who has or does own one or more (and that's a lot of people).

but otherwise i've certainly not heard of bad problems with porsches written about in the press.

and this article shows porsche is right up there.

Genesis – the luxury brand sold by Hyundai – topped the list of highest-quality brands. It was followed, in order, by Lexus, Buick, [b]Porsche and Toyota.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 02-12-20 at 12:04 PM.
Old 02-12-20, 12:20 PM
Orzel
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by spwolf
by who exactly?
Well, we are on our second Macan, both have been bulletproof. Have close to 30k on our 2018 S and no issues whatsoever. Other than an odd transfer case issue experienced by some Porsche owners, and covered by Porsche, they have been very reliable.
Old 02-12-20, 02:41 PM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,166 Likes on 753 Posts

there's only three value propositions... price, product (features, design, etc.), and service.

genesis is beating lexus on price
genesis is beating lexus on product (in the areas genesis has vehicles) and dependability is obviously part of that which genesis now has won
genesis is beating lexus on service by making it so no owner ever has to drive anywhere for service (i love it)

genesis needs a bigger and smaller suv (smaller gv70 coming later this year or early next year), a coupe, and one or more electric vehicles and they'll really be a force. the good news on the ev front is unlike toyota/lexus, they already have ev's being sold right now all over the world.
Not close with Genesis and Lexus. Lexus has been #1 in dependability for eight years in a row and in 2020 dropped one position to #2. Will be interesting to see the results in a year. Ask Genesis CEO would you rather be # 1 in dependability or #2 and #1 in lowest depreciation, #1 in customer loyalty and #1 in customer satisfaction. Genesis sold 21,000 units in 2019 in the US. Lexus sold 121,000 RX's. Guess price, features and service must not be that important to a whole lot of buyers.
Old 02-12-20, 02:49 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Freds430
Not close with Genesis and Lexus. Lexus has been #1 in dependability for eight years in a row and in 2020 dropped one position to #2. Will be interesting to see the results in a year. Ask Genesis CEO would you rather be # 1 in dependability or #2 and #1 in lowest depreciation, #1 in customer loyalty and #1 in customer satisfaction. Genesis sold 21,000 units in 2019 in the US. Lexus sold 121,000 RX's. Guess price, features and service must not be that important to a whole lot of buyers.
absolutely lexus is a WAY bigger force, excellent track record, and WAY longer established than tiny upstart genesis.

lexus has been around 30 years... genesis, what, 4?

interesting sales comparison you made... CLEARLY the giant hole in genesis' pipsqueak line up has been no suv's, and the GV80 is more upscale and more expensive than the RX so the RX will continue to sell like hot donuts. and comparing sales numbers between brands is problematic. bmw and mercedes far outsell lexus in the u.s. and those other factors you mention don't seem to matter.

and in 2019 the IS sold 15K units and the newcomer G70 sold 12K units. that's quite impressive for a newcomer.
Old 02-12-20, 05:10 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,981 Posts

Good for Genesis!
Old 02-12-20, 05:30 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

Lexus needs to regain its lead on dependability, but also needs to catch up on tech/power train. Times are changing...

Quick Reply: Genesis beats Lexus and ranks #1 brand in JD Power Dependability