Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Genesis beats Lexus and ranks #1 brand in JD Power Dependability

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-20, 06:34 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 171 Likes on 102 Posts

Interesting. Yet I keep seeing not-so-old Hyundais and Kias burning on the side of the freeway each month...
Old 02-12-20, 09:16 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Interesting. Yet I keep seeing not-so-old Hyundais and Kias burning on the side of the freeway each month...
Well I guess Toyota thought about that, and made sure to add a feature where owners couldnt pump their own gas tanks to full in the rav4s... no fuel no fire eh?
Old 02-13-20, 04:01 AM
ShrinkDoc
Advanced

Received 96 Likes on 71 Posts

There are 2 ways to assess reliability: 1) consumer survey, and, 2) actual repair records. Interestingly, actual repair records (Repairpal.com or Truedelta.com) show very different results than surveys (CR and JD Power, which are highly subjective). For example, Repairpal.com writes:

RepairPal's 2019 Reliability Rating Leaders

Honda and Acura lead RepairPal's 2019 Reliability Rating with 4 out of the top 10 most reliable vehicles.
In 2017, RepairPal created the first ever Reliability Rating based on actual vehicle repairs. Updated annually, the 2019 RepairPal Reliability Rating has analyzed millions of repair orders from over 2,000 auto shops across the US, measuring dependability by evaluating the cost, frequency and severity of repairs.
While other reliability scores are based on subjective results from consumer surveys, RepairPal's Reliability Rating uses real-world data to help consumers seek out the best car for them.

Most Reliable Car Brands

Asian automakers continued to rack up top reliability ratings with Honda, Acura, Kia, Hyundai and Mazda forming the top five.
  1. Honda claimed the title of most reliable brand, with the HR-V, Fit, Civic and Accord all in the top 20 most reliable cars overall.
  2. Acura, the luxury division of Honda, was a close second thanks to every one of its models scoring an Excellent rating, with the TLX and ILX in the top 10 overall.
  3. Kia, Hyundai and Mazda rounded out the top five, with Kia moving down from the No. 1 spot despite all of its models maintaining an Excellent rating.
  4. Toyota dropped out of the top 5 to seventh place, however had strong showings with the Yaris dropping only slightly from first to third overall, and the Corolla and Prius C jumping into the top 10.
  5. Two models from the new and growing subcompact SUV segment topped the rankings, with the Honda HR-V first and the Mazda CX-3 second overall. The Porsche Panamera continued to be the least reliable car for the second year running.
Domestic and European manufacturers rated behind Asian brands. Chrysler and Buick scored highest among domestic brands, while Volkswagen, Volvo and Fiat were the only European manufacturers to earn an Above Average ranking or higher.

Last edited by ShrinkDoc; 02-13-20 at 04:48 AM.
Old 02-13-20, 04:58 AM
mbarron37
Advanced

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

Interesting, especially if using actual data. Good find.
Old 02-13-20, 05:11 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by ShrinkDoc
There are 2 ways to assess reliability: 1) consumer survey, and, 2) actual repair records. Interestingly, actual repair records (Repairpal.com or Truedelta.com) show very different results than surveys (CR and JD Power, which are highly subjective). For example, Repairpal.com writes:

RepairPal's 2019 Reliability Rating Leaders

Honda and Acura lead RepairPal's 2019 Reliability Rating with 4 out of the top 10 most reliable vehicles.
In 2017, RepairPal created the first ever Reliability Rating based on actual vehicle repairs. Updated annually, the 2019 RepairPal Reliability Rating has analyzed millions of repair orders from over 2,000 auto shops across the US, measuring dependability by evaluating the cost, frequency and severity of repairs.
While other reliability scores are based on subjective results from consumer surveys, RepairPal's Reliability Rating uses real-world data to help consumers seek out the best car for them.

Most Reliable Car Brands

Asian automakers continued to rack up top reliability ratings with Honda, Acura, Kia, Hyundai and Mazda forming the top five.
  1. Honda claimed the title of most reliable brand, with the HR-V, Fit, Civic and Accord all in the top 20 most reliable cars overall.
  2. Acura, the luxury division of Honda, was a close second thanks to every one of its models scoring an Excellent rating, with the TLX and ILX in the top 10 overall.
  3. Kia, Hyundai and Mazda rounded out the top five, with Kia moving down from the No. 1 spot despite all of its models maintaining an Excellent rating.
  4. Toyota dropped out of the top 5 to seventh place, however had strong showings with the Yaris dropping only slightly from first to third overall, and the Corolla and Prius C jumping into the top 10.
  5. Two models from the new and growing subcompact SUV segment topped the rankings, with the Honda HR-V first and the Mazda CX-3 second overall. The Porsche Panamera continued to be the least reliable car for the second year running.
Domestic and European manufacturers rated behind Asian brands. Chrysler and Buick scored highest among domestic brands, while Volkswagen, Volvo and Fiat were the only European manufacturers to earn an Above Average ranking or higher.

I feel there is truth to this article, when talking to friends and family about their positive experiences with say Acura and Honda which reflects far better than JD Power or CR's so-so ratings. However, surprised to see Toyota below most of the most of the non-European imports as that doesn't line up with real-world feedback I hear/see.

Do we know repairPal's criteria on what constitutes a "repair"? Is a user "usability" issue part of it? i.e. I suspect Toyota/Lexus is dinged a lot usability/issues with their Infotainment, for instance RTI precision/complaints.
Old 02-13-20, 07:33 AM
rogers2
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by COOLIS
I take these results very lightly. To see Porsche in the number 4 spot, ahead of Toyota, is almost laughable. I have a coworker who has a Cayenne and the transfer case has gone out not once, but twice. Very expensive repair. A friend of a friend bought a Macan at Carmax, and shortly thereafter the transmission failed. Luckily he bought Maxcare and that covered the replacement.
Knowing 2 porsche owners that had problems doesn't make the entire brand unreliable. I know over 40 porsche (Caymans & 911) owners that abuse their cars every other weekend that doesn't have problem with the brand or reliablity.
My Cayman GTS has been rock solid. The only repair has been tires and a dynamic motor mount after an autocross event. stop with the hyperbolic
Old 02-13-20, 08:47 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

I've had Mazdas, Infiniti, Nissan, Toyota, Lexus, Honda, and Tesla now. Sure Toyota / Lexus has been very reliable but honestly, not nearly enough to offset any feature deficiency. You may have a problem here and there with other makers but really, if I have to get something fixed once in awhile, its just a little bit inconvenient. The 99.9% of the time, i get to enjoy the additional features of the car when it works. Reliability is vastly overrated these days especially if the other features don't match their competitors and reliability across all manufacturers have gone up in the last 10 years.
Old 02-13-20, 08:59 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,514 Likes on 1,653 Posts

And the follow on headlines start...

Genesis topples Lexus in its first J.D. Power dependability survey
https://www-autoblog-com.cdn.ampproj...lity-survey%2F
Old 02-13-20, 09:57 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
I've had Mazdas, Infiniti, Nissan, Toyota, Lexus, Honda, and Tesla now. Sure Toyota / Lexus has been very reliable but honestly, not nearly enough to offset any feature deficiency. You may have a problem here and there with other makers but really, if I have to get something fixed once in awhile, its just a little bit inconvenient. The 99.9% of the time, i get to enjoy the additional features of the car when it works. Reliability is vastly overrated these days especially if the other features don't match their competitors and reliability across all manufacturers have gone up in the last 10 years.
Toyota and Lexus have not always had all the features. They do have tons of first tho.
Old 02-13-20, 10:05 AM
mbarron37
Advanced

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
I don’t know if JD is right or not, but the reliability gap that once existed is now closed. I agree that the difference in quality is not very large between each manufacturer. Toyota may still be on the top, but not by a wide enough margin to really matter. Some people like to just drink the Kool-Aid and say everyone else builds crap. Not me.
Old 02-13-20, 02:00 PM
COOLIS
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by rogers2
Knowing 2 porsche owners that had problems doesn't make the entire brand unreliable. I know over 40 porsche (Caymans & 911) owners that abuse their cars every other weekend that doesn't have problem with the brand or reliablity.
My Cayman GTS has been rock solid. The only repair has been tires and a dynamic motor mount after an autocross event. stop with the hyperbolic
You can check Porsche forums and see the multitude of issues Porsche owners have had. The Cayenne has had many issues over the years. I'm not bashing Porsche by any means - they make amazing cars. Long term reliability, though, isn't one of their strong suits.

The data JD power used is based on 3 years of ownership. I couldn't care less about the dependability of the first 3 years, as the car would be under the comprehensive warranty. I want to know reliability 5+ years out. That, to me, speaks volume on a cars quality. My nearly 30 year old SC400 is more solid than many of the newer cars I've driven and it's never required anything more than standard maintenance items.
Old 02-13-20, 02:40 PM
ShrinkDoc
Advanced

Received 96 Likes on 71 Posts

As a followup to my previous post. My 2014 IS 350 F Sport at 51K miles has cost me more in repairs than my >250K mile INFINITI G35 (2004) and 2 Volvo 240D's from the 1990's. Statistics aside, much like the stock market and investing, past performance is no guarantee of future results.
Old 02-13-20, 02:47 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,514 Likes on 1,653 Posts

Originally Posted by mbarron37
I don’t know if JD is right or not, but the reliability gap that once existed is now closed. I agree that the difference in quality is not very large between each manufacturer. Toyota may still be on the top, but not by a wide enough margin to really matter. Some people like to just drink the Kool-Aid and say everyone else builds crap. Not me.
Exactly right. Especially people virtue-signalling with their 15+ yr old Toyotas and Lexus with tons of miles. If I had any interest in driving a 15 year old vehicle, Toyotas would certainly be 1 or 2 on my list.

But hey if they're happy, great.

Old 02-13-20, 03:13 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by COOLIS

The data JD power used is based on 3 years of ownership. I couldn't care less about the dependability of the first 3 years, as the car would be under the comprehensive warranty. I want to know reliability 5+ years out. That, to me, speaks volume on a cars quality.
This is spot on. Nothing comes close to Toyota or Lexus from a long term point you view. I just looked up Genesis from 2015, below average reliability from CR. A Hyundai Elantra is just average from 2014. Mercedes has lots of red dots at 5 years old. Same wig Audi and BMW As per Porsche, the crossovers I believe are high end Volkswagen models. The higher end stuff likely won’t show up in the long term CR lists. If I rented my cars, who cares...I’d love to try many different brands.
Old 02-13-20, 03:27 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
This is spot on. Nothing comes close to Toyota or Lexus from a long term point you view. I just looked up Genesis from 2015, below average reliability from CR. A Hyundai Elantra is just average from 2014. Mercedes has lots of red dots at 5 years old. Same wig Audi and BMW As per Porsche, the crossovers I believe are high end Volkswagen models. The higher end stuff likely won’t show up in the long term CR lists. If I rented my cars, who cares...I’d love to try many different brands.
Didn't you used to have a strong dislike and disregard for CR? Can their ratings be trusted?

Quick Reply: Genesis beats Lexus and ranks #1 brand in JD Power Dependability