Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Genesis beats Lexus and ranks #1 brand in JD Power Dependability

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-20, 03:35 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Didn't you used to have a strong dislike and disregard for CR? Can their ratings be trusted?
Never liked their reviews that are not day and date(with other publications)
The reliability ratings I have never had any issues with.
Old 02-13-20, 03:37 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Didn't you used to have a strong dislike and disregard for CR? Can their ratings be trusted?

Most of the time, with most vehicles, CR reliability ratings can be trusted. But there are a few exceptions. All-new vehicles are sometimes erratic in their reliability-data the first year, particularly if they are slow-selling and not many owners respond to the questionnaire. I've seen CR really pan a new vehicle's reliability, than revise it to average or even better than average, all within the first model-year, or the reverse.

The Ford Taurus, particularly in the early years, seemed to be touch-and-go in its quality control....it was difficult for CR to really make a pattern out of it. One would come off the assembly line like a Swiss Watch, the next one would be more or less average, and the next one, right behind it, a lemon.
Old 02-13-20, 06:38 PM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Received 126 Likes on 84 Posts

I don't find this surprising. Genesis makes a solid product. But I think this has more to do with they only sell 3 models right now, so less to go wrong vs everyone else. This should wake up all the major players though, hopefully a better effort from everyone.
Old 02-13-20, 06:44 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
I don't find this surprising. Genesis makes a solid product. But I think this has more to do with they only sell 3 models right now, so less to go wrong vs everyone else. This should wake up all the major players though, hopefully a better effort from everyone.
For sure. Competition is good. It would be interesting to know what the JD Power ratings were for Lexus in the first few years they can’t to market in the early 90s and what the disparity was for the other brands. Then compare the numbers to this year for Genesis.
Old 02-13-20, 07:07 PM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've never driven a Genesis product, but they definitely look quite nice (yes, I know that is subjective...). Good to see they have some substance behind the style.

When did they kill the coupe?
Old 02-13-20, 07:51 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,981 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
There is definitely truth to this. In fact, they only sold 2 models in 2017
Old 02-13-20, 08:56 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,514 Likes on 1,653 Posts

Originally Posted by 92 SC400
When did they kill the coupe?
Before genesis became a brand.

before it was a brand they had the hyundai genesis sedan and the hyundai genesis coupe. I went in a coupe once, it was great. Still like the exterior design when i see them on the road. That one had the 2.0t and there was also a 3.8 v6 version as well. The hyundai genesis sedan eventually became the genesis g80 (and still going, long in the tooth, to be replaced later this year). They had the hyundai equus also, which was replaced by the genesis g90 in 2017.
Old 02-13-20, 08:58 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,514 Likes on 1,653 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
In fact, they only sold 2 models in 2017
Just like Lexus when it launched.
Old 02-13-20, 11:54 PM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Before genesis became a brand.

before it was a brand they had the hyundai genesis sedan and the hyundai genesis coupe. I went in a coupe once, it was great. Still like the exterior design when i see them on the road. That one had the 2.0t and there was also a 3.8 v6 version as well. The hyundai genesis sedan eventually became the genesis g80 (and still going, long in the tooth, to be replaced later this year). They had the hyundai equus also, which was replaced by the genesis g90 in 2017.
Yeah, I do remember them selling the both of those cars under the Hyundai brand but assume that they had kept producing the coupe. Interesting that they got rid of it - seemed like a fairly popular car for the tuners.
Old 02-14-20, 03:53 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 92 SC400
Yeah, I do remember them selling the both of those cars under the Hyundai brand but assume that they had kept producing the coupe. Interesting that they got rid of it - seemed like a fairly popular car for the tuners.
I think the Genesis models did their best under the Hyundai names they were carrying at the time. Anyway, I always found the coupe to be loverly a pretty cool interior that was of high-quality. It seemed like consumers really liked it.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 02-14-20 at 06:06 AM.
Old 02-14-20, 06:05 AM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I've seen CR really pan a new vehicle's reliability, than revise it to average or even better than average, all within the first model-year, or the reverse.
Yeah, like Cadillac going from dead last to 12th this year. These lists have no reliability.
Old 02-14-20, 07:44 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by rogerh00
Yeah, like Cadillac going from dead last to 12th this year. These lists have no reliability.

Remember.....in this particular case, the term "Cadillac" does not refer to simply one or two vehicles, but the average reliability of the brand, as a whole, compared to the competitors. Cadillac, as a brand, has a recent history of below-average reliability.

To explain what happened, I cannot state this as a fact, but one (very likely) reason for the sudden upswing in the brand's reliability is that Cadillac got caught off guard so suddenly with the introduction of the newest Lincoln products, that it was like a splash of cold water in the face. Cadillac management saw that they were going to have to so something (quick) to improve the image of their products, and QC on the assembly line was obviously a good place to start....no more sloppy fit/finish, loose-fitting parts, leaking fluids under the hood, sub-standard paint jobs, or unnecessary trips back to the dealer to fix or adjust what should have been done at the factory to start with.

In a similar manner, Dodge products (Ram trucks are now a separate brand), showed a big jump in CR's reliability ratings in just a year or so. Dodge, like most FCA products, used to be one of the worst, but is now in the middle of the pack. CR attributes it (and I tend to agree) to the fact that they have kept the unreliable-but-popular Challenger and Charger in production so long, without major changes to the basic design, that they have finally gotten most of the problems out of that design. Those two vehicles, BTW, are living proof that vehicles don't have to constantly change to "keep up"....they keep selling in spite of past unreliability, and have an extremely high owner-satisfaction rate, even wth their designs being so dated.
Old 02-14-20, 10:29 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Remember.....in this particular case, the term "Cadillac" does not refer to simply one or two vehicles, but the average reliability of the brand, as a whole, compared to the competitors. Cadillac, as a brand, has a recent history of below-average reliability.

To explain what happened, I cannot state this as a fact, but one (very likely) reason for the sudden upswing in the brand's reliability is that Cadillac got caught off guard so suddenly with the introduction of the newest Lincoln products, that it was like a splash of cold water in the face. Cadillac management saw that they were going to have to so something (quick) to improve the image of their products, and QC on the assembly line was obviously a good place to start....no more sloppy fit/finish, loose-fitting parts, leaking fluids under the hood, sub-standard paint jobs, or unnecessary trips back to the dealer to fix or adjust what should have been done at the factory to start with.

In a similar manner, Dodge products (Ram trucks are now a separate brand), showed a big jump in CR's reliability ratings in just a year or so. Dodge, like most FCA products, used to be one of the worst, but is now in the middle of the pack. CR attributes it (and I tend to agree) to the fact that they have kept the unreliable-but-popular Challenger and Charger in production so long, without major changes to the basic design, that they have finally gotten most of the problems out of that design. Those two vehicles, BTW, are living proof that vehicles don't have to constantly change to "keep up"....they keep selling in spite of past unreliability, and have an extremely high owner-satisfaction rate, even wth their designs being so dated.
For some reason I have hard understanding why still? Is the only competition luxury competitor to Caddy a Lincoln? Nothing Acura, Lexus, Infiniti, big three Germans?
Old 02-14-20, 10:59 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by COOLIS
The data JD power used is based on 3 years of ownership. I couldn't care less about the dependability of the first 3 years, as the car would be under the comprehensive warranty. I want to know reliability 5+ years out. That, to me, speaks volume on a cars quality.
my thoughts exactly!!!
Old 02-14-20, 11:30 AM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

You seem to forget this ranking is for the last 3 years not the last 20 years that is warping your opinion.

My take is that in the last 3 years Cadillac has produced 3 SUV's that are as good as any. The XT4, XT5
and XT6 are their best sellers now. JD Powers data has finally caught up.

Quick Reply: Genesis beats Lexus and ranks #1 brand in JD Power Dependability