Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Genesis beats Lexus and ranks #1 brand in JD Power Dependability

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-20, 12:02 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,514 Likes on 1,653 Posts

Originally Posted by COOLIS
The data JD power used is based on 3 years of ownership. I couldn't care less about the dependability of the first 3 years, as the car would be under the comprehensive warranty. I want to know reliability 5+ years out. That, to me, speaks volume on a cars quality. My nearly 30 year old SC400 is more solid than many of the newer cars I've driven and it's never required anything more than standard maintenance items.
but rating cars 5+ yrs out may mean they're not even for sale new any longer or replaced by a completely different version making the 5+ yr info irrelevant unless one is looking for an older used car. To paraphrase what they say in finance, past performance is no guarantee of the future.

as for your 30 yr old SC400, wonderful car but there's no parallel to how cars are built today even by Lexus.
Old 02-14-20, 12:04 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
To explain what happened, I cannot state this as a fact, but one (very likely) reason for the sudden upswing in the brand's reliability is that Cadillac got caught off guard so suddenly with the introduction of the newest Lincoln products, that it was like a splash of cold water in the face. Cadillac management saw that they were going to have to so something (quick) to improve the image of their products, and QC on the assembly line was obviously a good place to start....no more sloppy fit/finish, loose-fitting parts, leaking fluids under the hood, sub-standard paint jobs, or unnecessary trips back to the dealer to fix or adjust what should have been done at the factory to start with.
The latest Navigator (2018MY) and Aviator (2020MY) could not have made Cadillac go back in time to when they planned and built their 2017 model year vehicles which are the focus of these 2020 awards.
Old 02-14-20, 12:07 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Another thing that makes these surveys challenging and of dubious value is we live in an automotive world (and world in general) of continuous improvement. so even if say, the first 6 months of a new cars production have common issues that tanks their reliability ratings, if it's fixed 6 months and a day after launch, everyone getting the car from that point on will not experience what the first 6 months of owners did.

Tesla is a good example of this. It's fair to say the first years worth of model 3's had ALL kinds of problems, but tesla was mad busy fixing them as they came along. A new 3 today probably has few if any problems, yet someone buying based off 'reliability studies' might stay away, which is unfortunate.
Old 02-14-20, 12:07 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by pbm317
The latest Navigator (2018MY) and Aviator (2020MY) could not have made Cadillac go back in time to when they planned and built their 2017 model year vehicles which are the focus of these 2020 awards.
haha, good one. Plus there's more to the auto world than detroit.
Old 02-14-20, 12:11 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by rogerh00
You seem to forget this ranking is for the last 3 years not the last 20 years that is warping your opinion.
I'm well-aware that it is for the last 3 years. One cannot really determine a pattern for just one year.

My take is that in the last 3 years Cadillac has produced 3 SUV's that are as good as any.
Whether they are as good as Lincoln's new SUVs or not is debatable. In fact, we have had a number of Car Chat posts and threads that deal specifically with recent Cadillac-Lincoln comparisons.

Old 02-14-20, 12:13 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Plus there's more to the auto world than detroit.
Definitely. For classic proof, simply look at the new Telluride and Palisade....and the GV80 to come.
Old 02-14-20, 12:20 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts

To explain what happened, I cannot state this as a fact, but one (very likely) reason for the sudden upswing in the brand's reliability is that Cadillac got caught off guard so suddenly with the introduction of the newest Lincoln products, that it was like a splash of cold water in the face. Cadillac management saw that they were going to have to so something (quick) to improve the image of their products, and QC on the assembly line was obviously a good place to start....no more sloppy fit/finish, loose-fitting parts, leaking fluids under the hood, sub-standard paint jobs, or unnecessary trips back to the dealer to fix or adjust what should have been done at the factory to start with.
If I seem to remember when GM cancelled all of their future sedan development and closed some of their plants, they said they were going to put resources and focus on what they do best, SUVs and trucks..I am sure they are able to focus more on their quality than have in the past.
Old 02-14-20, 12:29 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
.I am sure they are able to focus more on their quality than have in the past.
Although it is no secret that the new Aviator (and Explorer) have had significant issues, in general, the solid-build, fit/finish, and material quality of the latest Lincoln offerings have forced Cadillac back to the drawing board on QC. Lincoln is showing us what auto manufacturers (even Detroit LOL) can do if and when the bean-counters don't stand in the way.

If I seem to remember when GM cancelled all of their future sedan development and closed some of their plants, they said they were going to put resources and focus on what they do best, SUVs and trucks.
Apparently the CT5 and CT4 got past the sedan-axing. The CT5's quality and fit/finish shows noticeable improvement over past Cadillac sedans (even the CT6)......the CT4's, I can't say, because I have not been able to sit in one.
Old 02-14-20, 01:13 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Although it is no secret that the new Aviator (and Explorer) have had significant issues, in general, the solid-build, fit/finish, and material quality of the latest Lincoln offerings have forced Cadillac back to the drawing board on QC.
I didn't know the aviator has had significant issues (i know the explorer launch was a disaster), what kind of issues?

I don't think lincoln's issues or supposedly now 'solid-build fit/finish and material quality' have had any impact on cadillac. Gm and cadillac know the stakes and have to compete with the world's best.

Lincoln is showing us what auto manufacturers (even Detroit LOL) can do if and when the bean-counters don't stand in the way.
that apparently isn't true if they didn't adequately test the aviator at least.

About quality and cost, 'defects' can be fixed in 3 places:
- design/testing
- manufacturing
- recalls

A rule of thing is the cost from first to second might be 10x and another 10x from second to third.

So short-changing the design/test cycle is PROFOUNDLY short-sighted.
Old 02-14-20, 01:37 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

• Most Dependable Model: The Lexus ES is the highest-ranked model in the 2020 study. Its score of 52 PP100 is the best ever recorded in the 31-year history of the study.
So the outgoing lexus ES is the most dependable model in the history of the study. Pretty impressive

Source
Old 02-14-20, 05:44 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
I didn't know the aviator has had significant issues (i know the explorer launch was a disaster), what kind of issues?
They are both built on the same assembly-line in Chicago, and the affected models of both the Explorer and Aviator are being shipped to the Flat Rock, MI plant for repairs.

This Autoblog article (which, I think, has been posted before in Explorer/Aviator threads) explains it better than I can:

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/09/16/...ontrol-issues/

I don't think lincoln's issues or supposedly now 'solid-build fit/finish and material quality' have had any impact on cadillac. Gm and cadillac know the stakes and have to compete with the world's best.
Well, like I said in my previous post, I can't necessarily claim it as a fact, but common sense (and conventional wisdom) would dictate that Cadillac management got caught flat-footed by how nice the new Lincoln SUVs are......the exception being the Aviator's problems, which don't seem to be shared by the Corsair and Navigator.

Old 02-14-20, 05:46 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

So the outgoing lexus ES is the most dependable model in the history of the study. Pretty impressive

Source

I would have guessed the Toyota Land Cruiser/Lexus LX, although they may not sell in large enough numbers, in the American market, to have a well-developed pattern in either Power's or CR's reliability ratings.
Old 02-14-20, 09:58 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Proving how useless the ratings are since the CURRENT selling ES is an ENTIRELY different vehicle.
Old 02-15-20, 03:08 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

I would have guessed the Toyota Land Cruiser/Lexus LX, although they may not sell in large enough numbers, in the American market, to have a well-developed pattern in either Power's or CR's reliability ratings.
Honestly. I would have had no idea what vehicle would be #1 from the Lexus brand. Results from many of these surveys are very vague, so it’s hard to get right to the details to know why the ES set the record.
Old 02-15-20, 07:40 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Honestly. I would have had no idea what vehicle would be #1 from the Lexus brand. Results from many of these surveys are very vague, so it’s hard to get right to the details to know why the ES set the record.

It's hard to beat the way that the Land Cruiser/LX is designed and built, from a durability/reliabilitystandpoint.

Quick Reply: Genesis beats Lexus and ranks #1 brand in JD Power Dependability