Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Ford's future

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-20, 08:03 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
That's my basic view, too, but the public, as a whole, has become enamored with crossovers. I'm a firm believer in the axiom that one cannot sell what they do not build, but the real question is if there are enough potential sales to justify the expenses of production. Plus, not only that, but the Focus and Fiesta had a crap dual-clutch transmission that caused its owners nothing but problems (there is a class-action suit on it), even after several years of production. The Fusion, I agree, was a nice mid-size sedan...one of my favorites in that class, and it did continue to sell. Why Ford axed it has simply not really adequately explained.
Unfortunately, as the US car sale decline (which they are). People will gravitate towards Japanese sedans as times get tougher. Someone who NEEDs a car vs wants a car will buy the safer bet...American brands do not offer the safer bet option

Last edited by bitkahuna; 02-15-20 at 09:14 PM.
Old 02-15-20, 11:45 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

^^^Be careful when you quote someone and bold-out some of the type, Jill...if you accidentally bold out one or more quote brackets, the graphics will not come out correctly with the gray background.

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Unfortunately, as the US car sale decline (which they are). People while gravitate towards Japanese sedans as times get tougher.
Korean sedans are becoming as much of a factor, if not more so, than Japanese.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-15-20 at 11:48 AM.
Old 02-15-20, 11:46 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

^^^Be careful when you quote someone and bold-out some the type, Jill...if you accidentally bold out one or more quote brackets, it will not come out correctly with the gray background.
Things happen so fast on my iPhone lol
Old 02-15-20, 02:13 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 95 Likes on 67 Posts

One reason it is a low-margin business is because of dividends paid out to the shareholders. I'm not saying that those who invest should not be rewarded for it (they should be)....but money that is paid out each quarter to shareholders obviously cannot be used in the company for future growth. The people who run the company have to decide which is more important, and where the available money is going to go. The fact, example, that Lincoln products are so much more impressive now than several years ago shows the difference that wise investment of available funds can make.

Perhaps this is a little off-topic (I'll let you decide that as a moderator), but, while we are all pondering the question of Ford's future, I think we should also look at, and remember, the valuable contributions to the auto industry and country that Ford has made over the years. First, more than any other single company, it actually put America itself on wheels, with the perfection of the moving-assembly-line and the simple, reliable Model T. Then came the first reliable mass-produced V8 with the Model A. Ford produced, in the famous Tri-Motor, the first corrugated-metal airliner for flying passengers, and the smaller Ford Flivver recreational aircraft. During World War II, Ford assembly-lines built the famous ******/Bantam Jeep under license, and produced the war's most widespread bomber, the B-24 Liberator. The massively successful 1964 Mustang invented the idea of the ponycar itself and set a new (at the time) sales-record for a Detroit product. The Taurus, in the 1980s, revolutionized the way sedans were designed and built. The original Ford GT managed to take Formula-One titles away from Ferrari, who produced some of the best exotic sports cars in the world. And the 1990 Explorer was the first SUV to truly appeal to the American family-masses....much more so than had the earlier Jeep Wagoneer.

Again, dividends are not a factor in margin. It's basic accounting.

​​​​
Old 02-15-20, 02:54 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by BrettJacks
Again, dividends are not a factor in margin. It's basic accounting.​​​​
And how do you determine what the dividends will be? Accounting. You have to figure out your company's profits, after expenses, and split it up by the number of stock shares to determine dividends per share. You are an accountant yourself...you of all people would know that.
Old 02-15-20, 02:56 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Things happen so fast on my iPhone lol

Yes, agreed. I also find that a phone is much more difficult to use for posting and replying than a regular desktop or laptop PC and mouse.
Old 02-15-20, 09:24 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,462 Likes on 1,615 Posts

Ford is still hanging on to the large truck category, but struggle in the lower priced Areas. UAW is killing them.
(Emphasis mine), thank you.

I'm a firm believer in the axiom that one cannot sell what they do not build
Not sure that's an axiom to be a firm believer in, it's just self-evident, but of course you CAN sell what someone else builds. (Honda/isuzu way back, supra/z4 now.

but the real question is if there are enough potential sales to justify the expenses of production.
exactly right, not to mention r&d, certification, marketing, etc. ford was selling a lot of sedans, but not making any money so it was pointless unless they could magically come up with more competitive sedans or somehow get higher margins (higher prices or lower costs). It's a rough business.

^^^Be careful when you quote someone and bold-out some of the type, Jill...if you accidentally bold out one or more quote brackets, the graphics will not come out correctly with the gray background.
the issue in this case was that LexCTJill bolded the open "[" of the closing QUOTE tag, which meant it wasn't recognized as closing the quote, so the opening quote tag wasn't recognized either. I fixed the post by going into 'source' mode.

And how do you determine what the dividends will be? Accounting. You have to figure out your company's profits, after expenses, and split it up by the number of stock shares to determine dividends per share. You are an accountant yourself...you of all people would know that.
I recommend not debating accounting with an accountant. Dividends are generally offered to attract investment in a stock that isn't increasing in value much. Utilities and banks have offered dividends as examples because their businesses grow so slowly there's little interest in buying the stock otherwise. Having said that i will always kick myself for not having bought boatloads of bank of america after the 2008 crash especially after the govt FORCED them to eat the turd of Countrywide.

Anyway, way off topic... but about FORD dividends in particular, i have a friend who bought some shares of ford around $9 because he thought it was a 'cheap' way to get dividends. Not the best investing move but he's young and learning. Ford right now is around $8.10 a share so any dividends he's made would be wiped out by the equity losses.

Old 02-16-20, 07:03 AM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

Forgotten in this thread is the Mustang Mach-e. I think it will be Ford's diamond in the rough.
Old 02-16-20, 07:34 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

I think Ford is in a world of trouble.

It all goes back to management/ownership having the wrong view of the future. They want to be a mobility company- what does that mean?
They can’t build proper ICE cars for the most part, i have ZERO confidence that this FUGLY Mach E EV crossover will be any good. Companies like BMW and MB have already realized its not that easy. Tesla Model Y is coming in a few months and is better and cheaper than the Ford and its a Tesla!

Ford and GM need to merge - share platforms and develop EV vehicles, factories, charging stations, marketing etc.

The F150 will keep them afloat for next 5-10yrs if economic conditions remain strong.
Old 02-16-20, 11:09 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
(
Not sure that's an axiom to be a firm believer in, it's just self-evident, but of course you CAN sell what someone else builds. (Honda/isuzu way back, supra/z4 now.
Yes, I agree with that reasoning. Sometimes, though, that can affect a vehicle's image. The connection to BMW seems to have turned some former Supra fans to the new one.

I recommend not debating accounting with an accountant.
Well, I very much respect Brettjack's experience in that field...but, in this case, we were discussing (not debating) the issue of stock dividends and payouts, which go beyond simple accounting itself. It can be quite complex and sometimes unscrupulous...some company managers have gone to prison for trying to manipulate it or pull things that are illegal.

Anyway, way off topic... but about FORD dividends in particular, i have a friend who bought some shares of ford around $9 because he thought it was a 'cheap' way to get dividends. Not the best investing move but he's young and learning. Ford right now is around $8.10 a share so any dividends he's made would be wiped out by the equity losses.
Well, you're the moderator, but I don't see Ford's dividends as being off-topic...what they pay out to stockholders could very well affect or modify the company's future.

$8 a share, BTW, sounds like a real buying opportunity. I generally avoid stocks, but that price may (?) tempt me. I don't expect to se the kind of run-up that Tesla stocks have recently had, but the general direction will probably be up.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-16-20 at 04:21 PM.
Old 02-16-20, 11:34 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,462 Likes on 1,615 Posts

Well, you're the moderator, but I don't see Ford's dividends as being off-topic...what they pay out to stockholders could very well affect or modify the company's future.
i didn't mean ford dividends was off-topic, you're right, i meant the BofA comments right before that.

$8 a share, BTW, sounds like a real being opportunity. I generally avoid stocks, but that price may (?) tempt me. I don't expect to se the kind of run-up that Tesla stocks have recently had, but the general direction will probably be up.
Stock price is largely meaningless. Don't fall into the trap. See post #11.

just because it's at $8, doesn't mean it can't go to $4, or $2, etc.
Old 02-16-20, 04:41 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Stock price is largely meaningless. Don't fall into the trap. See post #11.

just because it's at $8, doesn't mean it can't go to $4, or $2, etc.

Sure, you could buy it at even $1 a share (they call those penny-stocks)...and it could drop to 50 cents (or even 25 cents). But one obviously assumes at least some risk (or the risk of the company's bankruptcy) no matter where the purchase-price is. That's simply part of the investing process itself.
Old 02-16-20, 05:18 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Dividends may result in the company being undercapitalized, but it has no bearing on the profitability of the vehicles. Profit determines dividends, not the the other way around.

Ford and GM have a distinct disadvantage in the industry when compared to Toyota, Honda, et all.....higher labor costs that can't just be shrugged away. It will always cost the domestics more to produce the same vehicle as the Japanese automakers. Profit margins aren't big on small cars. The japanese are able to make this up through volume. But volume can't save the Focus or the Cruze when there isn't enough(or any) profit per vehicle. And if the UAW isn't willing to make concessions on that front, then the cars simply can't be produced profitably, especially as the sales decline in that segment as the market shifts towards CUV's. Personally I would like to see the Fusion continue, and it sounds like Ford hasn't been vocally committed to killing it. My 2012 was a very nice car. I sold it to my sister and she loves it. The Fusion wasn't plagued by the transmission issues that the Focus and Fiesta were, since it uses a traditional automatic gearbox rather than that getrag DCT(Ford's partnership with getrag is a whole other matter I could rant about)

That said....the financial results at Ford are concerning and I hope Hackett knows what he's doing. It seems like Mulally's retirement has had a long-lasting impact. I really enjoy the Ford products I've driven. I've considered picking up a Mustang GT as a weekend toy. It would be sad to lose such an iconic part of the American auto industry.

Also, slight correction to an early remark I saw. Ford upset Ferrari in endurance racing, not Formula 1. If anybody hasn't seen Ford v Ferrari, I highly reccomend watching it.

Old 02-16-20, 05:25 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by BrettJacks
Also, slight correction to an early remark I saw. Ford upset Ferrari in endurance racing, not Formula 1. If anybody hasn't seen Ford v Ferrari, I highly reccomend watching it.
Watch it? I lived through it. But, as I understand the term Formula 1, at the time, didn't it also include the long 12-hour race at Sebring and the even longer 24-hour race at LeMans?
Old 02-16-20, 06:39 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

No, it's always been a different type of racing. The Triple Crown of Motorsport is an achievement where a driver wins championships in 3 different motorsports:
Formula One - Monaco Grand Prix
Indycar - Indianapolis 500
Sports Car Endurance Racing - 24 Hours of Le Mans

These races use very different cars. Le Mans uses cars that are the closest thing to "production" out of the 3, as there are certain homologation rules to enter, especially back when Ford went in the 60's. Now they have different classes, with prototypes being the top dog and usual overall winner.

Quick Reply: Ford's future