Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Cars Vs E-Bike Vs E-Scooter (Survival of the Fittest)

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-20, 10:46 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,981 Posts

Originally Posted by MysteryMob
That definitely isn't true. I've been biking for a long time, and I hate bicyclists as much as most people. Why? Because many of them are pretentious, clueless, and don't want the law to apply to them unless it benefits them. I am more likely to see bicyclists breaking the law than I am abiding by it (when is the last time you have seen them actually stopping at lights or stop signs? It's definitely not the majority of the time).

Maybe some places are different, but my experience in Austin, San Jose, San Fran, Washington DC, Houston, Dallas, Las Vegas, and Silversprings says otherwise.
This is my viewpoint on the matter too
Old 02-21-20, 10:54 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Because most traffic rules are made for cars, not bikes. On a a bike I can negotiate space much better, and I can bring it to stop in inches if need be. When bicycling, instead of following all the rules by the book I just use common sense.
Old 02-21-20, 11:30 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Because most traffic rules are made for cars, not bikes. On a a bike I can negotiate space much better, and I can bring it to stop in inches if need be. When bicycling, instead of following all the rules by the book I just use common sense.
You make ZERO sense.

You got tourists and locals getting on the CITI Bike and literally driving AGAINST traffic with no sense of responsibility. None of them wear even a helmet.

Don’t even get me started on the food delivery guys and messengers on their electric bikes going insane speeds in between traffic.

Until bikers are required to get proper licenses and insurance to drive on public roads that share space with cars, buses, trucks - they will never get any respect from me.
Old 02-21-20, 11:38 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Och
I doubt very much that the biker "ran into you and punched your car on purpose" - you likely squeezed him. I once punched a car driven by a texting t##t that was about to turn into me.

That being said, of course there are stupid bikers out there as well, seemingly with no sense of self preservation. A lot of them have third world attitude towards riding, and I see them riding with no lights at night, salmoning, and bullying pedestrians.
The guy was a messenger on the job who think they own the road and cut right in front of me in traffic so I honked at him. He therefore punched my car causing damage.

Come drive in NYC and see how disrespectful these bicyclists treat laws and other drivers. They constantly put themselves in dangerous situations.

If he had license plate / insurance- I doubt he would behave in such reckless manner.
Old 02-21-20, 01:01 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
You make ZERO sense.

You got tourists and locals getting on the CITI Bike and literally driving AGAINST traffic with no sense of responsibility. None of them wear even a helmet.

Don’t even get me started on the food delivery guys and messengers on their electric bikes going insane speeds in between traffic.

Until bikers are required to get proper licenses and insurance to drive on public roads that share space with cars, buses, trucks - they will never get any respect from me.
Really? First of all, bicycle helmets are not mandatory, but if we are going to go there, did you know that drivers have higher rate of head injuries than bicyclists? About 50-70% of brain injury in the US occurs as a result of car crashes. Why don't drivers wear helmets? Actually, NY Gov. Cuomo is willing to consider helmet mandates for car drivers. https://www.forbes.com/sites/carlton.../#3978674ebef4

And again, if the city going to mandate license and insurance for bicycle riders, then the city must provide us with bicycle infrastructure. Very small percentage of roads in NYC even have bicycle lanes, and even where they exist they are being blocked by drivers with impunity.

If you are going to complain about bicyclists riding "insane" - most of use do what, 15-20mph tops, and reckless riders are only a danger to themselves really. Most of the "insane" bicyclist behavior that you see is actually caused by necessity - do you think we want to cut in and out of traffic if cars didn't block our path?

If you want to see "insane" get on the BQE or the Belt on Saturday night - it's becomes a freaking racetrack with a bunch of stoned and drunk drivers doing the most reckless things you can think of. Or stand on ANY busy intersection and see without fail 2-3 cars running red at every light cycle. Or watch any pedestrian crosswalk - when a car stops to yield to pedestrians all the drivers behind it start honking like a bunch of insane imbeciles.

We are all human, and nobody is perfect, but its driving that brings out the worst human qualities. Some of the nicest acting people I know turn into complete a-holes once behind the wheel.
Old 02-21-20, 01:10 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

The guy was a messenger on the job who think they own the road and cut right in front of me in traffic so I honked at him. He therefore punched my car causing damage.

Come drive in NYC and see how disrespectful these bicyclists treat laws and other drivers. They constantly put themselves in dangerous situations.
I drive, walk, ride a motorcycle and a bicycle in NYC. You need to realize that riding a bicycle can be a very frustrating experience - drivers put is in danger at every intersection. You have turning cars that fail to yield our right of way, you have cars that are waiting for left turns and other cars going around them squeezing us, you have people opening their doors into our path without looking, you have people pulling out of their driveways without looking, pedestrians darting into our path from between parked cars without looking, our lanes constantly blocked by double parked cars, trucks, construction equipment, etc. Don't even get me started on drivers texting and driving, not paying attention to the road and putting us in danger. The guy was probably frustrated with all that crap, so you honked at him, pissed him off and so he smacked your car. Next time try being more considerate.

If he had license plate / insurance- I doubt he would behave in such reckless manner.
Yes, because there are zero hit and run crashes caused by drivers.
Old 02-21-20, 02:28 PM
cheezz
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Funny how car drivers attack bikers like me who follow traffic law (stopping on red, even yielding to the drivers at 4 way stop sign). But I seem to see the pattern that car drivers don't mess with the bad bikers. I don't know if it's coincidence or what... but it has not been fair for me. I get mistreated pretty bad here as a biker. I can see your frustration and anger against the bikers because you had a bad experience with a biker who punched your car... that was definitely evil on his part. Wouldn't be nice if everyone respect each other...both the bikers and car drivers... Anyways, for me I've had enough.... don't wanna ride bike anymore due to paranoia I'm getting with drivers here.

And I do like to add that car drivers still need to be more cautious and not anger rule over them. Many drivers out there think they are superior and tough because they are in a car.... they have power to push the bikers off the road if they really wanted to. Me I can't I bounce back and fall into ditch.

Last edited by cheezz; 02-21-20 at 02:33 PM.
Old 02-21-20, 02:38 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

I can only speak for NYC, the majority of bicyclists don’t follow any road regulation.
NYPD is powerless to keep them accountable.

The bike lanes have made the situation even worse. DeBlasio has completely ruined the city when it comes to traffic. It’s basically a free for all and he is surprised that pedestrian deaths are increasing?

Stand on any NYC corner for 5min and you will be potentially hit by a random bicyclists 90% of the time.

Besides the yellow cabs, bicyclists are the next worst road hazard.
Old 02-21-20, 02:48 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Och
I drive, walk, ride a motorcycle and a bicycle in NYC. You need to realize that riding a bicycle can be a very frustrating experience - drivers put is in danger at every intersection. You have turning cars that fail to yield our right of way, you have cars that are waiting for left turns and other cars going around them squeezing us, you have people opening their doors into our path without looking, you have people pulling out of their driveways without looking, pedestrians darting into our path from between parked cars without looking, our lanes constantly blocked by double parked cars, trucks, construction equipment, etc. Don't even get me started on drivers texting and driving, not paying attention to the road and putting us in danger. The guy was probably frustrated with all that crap, so you honked at him, pissed him off and so he smacked your car. Next time try being more considerate.
Bicycles don’t belong on public roads along with cars, buses and trucks PERIOD.
its a safety risk to everyone. NYC is not some small village in Italy - like you said our roads are built for cars trucks etc. Go for a scenic ride in Central Park, Brooklyn Bridge or along West Side Highway. The major streets and Avenues are abused by bikers who do delivery or messengers with zero regard to safety.

There was even Hollywood movie where there is a scene how crazy some of these bikers ride to meet the time for delivery.
Old 02-21-20, 02:50 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

I can only speak for NYC, the majority of bicyclists don’t follow any road regulation.
NYPD is powerless to keep them accountable.

The bike lanes have made the situation even worse. DeBlasio has completely ruined the city when it comes to traffic. It’s basically a free for all and he is surprised that pedestrian deaths are increasing?

Stand on any NYC corner for 5min and you will be potentially hit by a random bicyclists 90% of the time.

Besides the yellow cabs, bicyclists are the next worst road hazard.
Again, baseless nonsense. Can you please pull stats how many people are hit by bicyclists vs cars? Since 2012 seven New York City pedestrians have been struck and killed by cyclists, compared to well over a thousand killed by drivers.

LOL if you think DeBlasio and bicyclists are making your traffic worse. Drivers are making traffic worse. Not paying attention, texting while driving, crashing and causing jams, double parking and causing jams, blocking intersections and causing jams, and so on.

Old 02-21-20, 03:01 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

its a safety risk to everyone. NYC is not some small village in Italy - like you said our roads are built for cars trucks etc. Go for a scenic ride in Central Park, Brooklyn Bridge or along West Side Highway. The major streets and Avenues are abused by bikers who do delivery or messengers with zero regard to safety.

There was even Hollywood movie where there is a scene how crazy some of these bikers ride to meet the time for delivery.
That's a load of idiotic windshield perspective, but I know where you are coming from, I used to have the same entitled mindset just a few years ago.

Look up the law, bicycles absolutely have the same rights to the public roads as cars, even more so. Driving is a privilege and car owners already disproportionately benefit from the publicly funded roads.

These messengers and everyone you love to hate are not going for scenic rides, they are going around their business much like you do in your car, only they take 10 times less space than your car. If bikes were to be banned in NYC, and everyone who rides starts driving, traffic would get a lot worse, so be careful what you wish for.
Old 02-21-20, 04:25 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och

Right, you follow the rules you want to and ignore the rest. That’s how we described entitled cyclists.

I suppose that’s just me and my “windshield perspective”
Old 02-21-20, 04:27 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts

So where do bikes go then?
Old 02-22-20, 05:32 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Right, you follow the rules you want to and ignore the rest. That’s how we described entitled cyclists.

I suppose that’s just me and my “windshield perspective”
Yes, that's your windshield perspective. There are many places in the world that have a different set of rules that make sense for bicyclists, and even a few places in the US that do as well. Understand that rules were created for cars, with other road users being an afterthought. So its not entitlement, its common sense.
Old 02-22-20, 07:48 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
Yes, that's your windshield perspective. There are many places in the world that have a different set of rules that make sense for bicyclists, and even a few places in the US that do as well. Understand that rules were created for cars, with other road users being an afterthought. So its not entitlement, its common sense.
The law is that bicycles must obey the rules of the road same as any vehicle, and youre saying you choose not to because you feel you should be above those laws because you are riding a bike. Thats the very definition of "entitlement".

Thats just your handlebar perspective talking.

Quick Reply: Cars Vs E-Bike Vs E-Scooter (Survival of the Fittest)