Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Cars Vs E-Bike Vs E-Scooter (Survival of the Fittest)

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-20, 03:47 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,981 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Why? Cyclists and cars are supposed to share the road. If cyclists actually followed the law and rules of the road better, everything works.
Because that perspective is pro everything but cars...

Of course taking a vehicle lane away is absurd.
Old 02-24-20, 05:02 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Because that perspective is pro everything but cars...

Of course taking a vehicle lane away is absurd.
Maybe absurd to someone living in suburbia, but road engineers and urban planners will beg to differ. Do some reading on road diet and how it makes roadways safer for everyone.
Old 02-24-20, 05:14 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
I'm totally fine with licensing as long as cyclists get laws designed for cyclists and cycling infrastructure. Taking away one car lane one every road that doesn't already have a bicycle lane and turning it into a protected bicycle lane is a good start.
Bro drive around NYC - they basically took one way streets eliminated street parking and split them in half; half to cars and half as bicycle lane. So all the poor cars are lined up one after the other in bumper to bumper traffic with a whole free lane next to them that doesn’t even have 1 bicycle using it lol.
Its complete lunacy what DeBlasio has done. Yet he travels in 4-5 Suburban SUV fleet daily for his 2hour “gym workout” in Park Slope. The person personally responsible for war on cars refuses to bike or take subway!
Old 02-24-20, 05:17 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
Maybe absurd to someone living in suburbia, but road engineers and urban planners will beg to differ. Do some reading on road diet and how it makes roadways safer for everyone.
I would refer you to the comment above lol
Old 02-24-20, 07:47 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
Bro drive around NYC - they basically took one way streets eliminated street parking and split them in half; half to cars and half as bicycle lane. So all the poor cars are lined up one after the other in bumper to bumper traffic with a whole free lane next to them that doesn’t even have 1 bicycle using it lol.
Its complete lunacy what DeBlasio has done. Yet he travels in 4-5 Suburban SUV fleet daily for his 2hour “gym workout” in Park Slope. The person personally responsible for war on cars refuses to bike or take subway!
LOL, these poor cars! Sure, there are a lot of pro-car cranks losing their mind over a bicycle lane, but if you actually check the stats, the speed of traffic flow has not changed significantly on the streets that were redesigned with bicycle lanes, and in some cases has actually improved! Just look at 4th avenue in Brooklyn that was recently redesigned with parking protected bicycle lane - it used to have 3-4 double parked cars on every block and the traffic flow was a complete chaos with cars constantly merging from one lane to another to go around double parked and vehicles turning left. Now with narrower lanes double parking is pretty much gone and traffic flow smoothly. Also, eliminating parking discourages car ownership, so there are less cars on the road and thus less traffic. Even more importantly, the streets redesigned with bicycle lanes have seen dramatic reduction in car crashes and became safer for everyone.

Like it or not, but private cars are choking our cities and are on borrowed time. There was a time when Amsterdam was very car centric and its narrow streets were choked by cars, until people demanded reform. http://sustainableamsterdam.com/2015...bike-friendly/

NYC only got its first protected bike lane just over a decade ago, in 2007. It wont happen over night, but change is coming. There is going to be a lot of resistance from the old whims like the hilarious photos below, but quite frankly they need to be saved from themselves.

Cars Vs E-Bike Vs E-Scooter (Survival of the Fittest)-jpfxxar.png

Cars Vs E-Bike Vs E-Scooter (Survival of the Fittest)-6v75jie.png
Old 03-17-20, 03:02 PM
cheezz
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Got me a new Electric Scooter

Guys I received a new electric scooter today! via Fedex! The parts were ordered from China and the retailer built the scooter in Cali. Got here today and here is the video...
It's a 5600watt dual motor scooter, no name brand so it's cheaper than those name brand ones. Check it out!

Man I just took it outside and tried it for myself. I was trying to get used to how the scooter takes off and handles.. the accelerator trigger is so sensitive it just takes off from stop. I almost lost the grip on my handlebar and fell out of my scooter.. I had the speed setting to maximum. I took it out on the street and tried some pulls and it took off like rocket! I destroyed a white van at the light. At first he got the jump but I just flew past him. I was happy returning home.. Charging my battery now. The range for this scooter is about 50 miles if you ride mildly. My commute for work is 20 miles so this is more than enough.

I couldn't record the video while riding the scooter as I don't have the gear for it. I need some kind of chest mount for the camera.... I hope to record live action sometime soon.... I hope I don't get pushed off the road anymore as I will be fast enough to stay in the traffic. I need to get used to my scooter first though. Stay tuned...
Old 03-20-20, 05:54 PM
cheezz
Rookie

Wow! Today I rode my scooter to work and back home for the first time and it was a thrilling experience! I was shocked at how easily it picks up speed. Going 40~ 45 mph was effortless and the acceleration is crazy fast. It behaves similar to Tesla cars. I had to easy on the accelerator to prevent my tires from spinning and me falling off the scooter. It out-accelerated all cars on the road today it was crazy. God (Jesus) told me to obey the traffic law at every account. So I rode my scooter like the same way driving a car... respected other drivers and not to pass any cars in front of me without changing to a passing lane. I kept some respectable distance between me and the car in front. I stayed on the outside lane and I was pretty much riding in the center of the lane. The other drivers didn't feel the need to pass me because I was going sufficiently fast. I must've drew attention as a lot of drivers turned heads. I did get to top speed of 55 mph (full throttle) and that was with 18~ 20 mph of headwind! This scooter is disturbingly fast. Because I rode hard it ran down my battery fast. By the time I got to work, 10 miles of distance, my battery level went down to below 50%. I had to take it easy heading back home to preserve battery consumption. I made home alright. The scooter didn't feel very stable at low speed, but it got more stable the faster I go. It's weird. It ran over bumps on the road without troubles as the scooter has long suspension travel... shocks on front and back. It's got good damping system. Turning at the intersection was hairy... I was fighting for traction and saved myself from falling.. the problem is that it's got too much torque so accelerating and turning at the same time was difficult. I have to easy on the throttle to make turns more safely. I was riding in seating position and not in standing position as I have a seat. It helped with the aerodynamics and I was able to fast more easily and effortlessly. Oh and my scooter has turn signals and brake light LOL. I used the turn signal when I change lane at the intersection it was hilarious. Oh and it has a horn too.

Last edited by cheezz; 03-20-20 at 06:04 PM.
Old 03-21-20, 10:12 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I wouldnt be riding a scooter at 40-45MPH and certainly not 55 MPH.
Old 03-21-20, 10:27 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

I wouldnt be riding a scooter at 40-45MPH and certainly not 55 MPH.
Neither would I. They are not designed for that speed at all, and especially these questionable quality chinese models. For these types of speeds you are better off with a motorcycle from a reputable brand.
Old 03-21-20, 10:33 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Cheezz, if you are riding the scooter at what is essentially highway speed, I recommend you at very minimum take a motorcycle safety course and invest in some protective gear. Also, research motorcycle death wobble. Even heavy motorcycles can sometimes inhibit it, never mind these little scooters - they are a lot more likely to inhibit it, and its going to be a lot more violent if it happens and recovery is almost impossible.

I actually know someone who modified his bicycle with an electric motor (which essentially what those scooters are), and inhibited the wobble on the very first try. The guy ended up in a hospital with a broken arm.

Last edited by Och; 03-21-20 at 10:44 AM.
Old 03-21-20, 03:47 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
Neither would I. They are not designed for that speed at all, and especially these questionable quality chinese models. For these types of speeds you are better off with a motorcycle from a reputable brand.
Absolutely. Death looking for a place to happen.
Old 03-21-20, 05:39 PM
cheezz
Rookie

Originally Posted by Och
Cheezz, if you are riding the scooter at what is essentially highway speed, I recommend you at very minimum take a motorcycle safety course and invest in some protective gear. Also, research motorcycle death wobble. Even heavy motorcycles can sometimes inhibit it, never mind these little scooters - they are a lot more likely to inhibit it, and its going to be a lot more violent if it happens and recovery is almost impossible.

I actually know someone who modified his bicycle with an electric motor (which essentially what those scooters are), and inhibited the wobble on the very first try. The guy ended up in a hospital with a broken arm.
I had my cycling helmet (Giro Air Attack SC) on when I was riding my scooter. Jesus told me to use that helmet and that I do not need to buy a special protective gear for my scooter riding. Yeah I understand about wobbling.. Did that biker guy you knew had motor on the front wheel? That's the only reason I could think of that could possibly cause wobble. If it's mid or rear drive it shouldn't do that.

Absolutely. Death looking for a place to happen.
If a person is not living for God and depending on him for protection then yeah he/she would be in great risk getting seriously injured even possibly getting killed. Faith in God plays a huge role in this because he really does protect his people. I too was skeptical getting a fast scooter in the past but it was God that told me to get it. He actually pushed me getting that. I don't think wobble will happen to me or get myself into serious accident to the point it endangers my life... Angels are constantly at work and follow God's order to watch over us. Gotta have faith in him.
Old 03-21-20, 06:02 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I think we’re getting trolled lol
Old 03-21-20, 07:17 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts

I don’t think there is any trolling. But, I don’t believe there is a big debate regarding a scooter. Maybe it should be named “Scooter Chat” and not “Car Chat”
Old 03-21-20, 07:39 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

I think we’re getting trolled lol
It does make you wonder. I would have thought that Jesus might have told him not to do it at all.

Quick Reply: Cars Vs E-Bike Vs E-Scooter (Survival of the Fittest)