Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2021 Ford F-150

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-20, 01:38 PM
Blaze876
Instructor

Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts

Am I the only one that think the f150 hasn't had a good design since 1997? I hate the taillights of the current model.
Old 04-08-20, 04:34 PM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Received 126 Likes on 84 Posts

2004 Lariat was one of the most handsome trucks I've seen
Old 06-18-20, 02:22 PM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Default Ford's redesigned F-150 pickup will offer greater connectivity, sleeper seat

Over-the-air software updates and new 'sleeper seat'

DETROIT (Reuters) - Ford Motor Co (F.N) next week will show the next generation of its brawny F-150 pickup truck that offers a new sleeper-seat feature and over-the-air software updates in a machine Ford is counting on to help pay off coronavirus-related debts.The new F-150, part of the best-selling vehicle line in the United States, accounts for $50 billion in annual revenue, and a significant share of Ford’s annual profit. While Tesla Inc (TSLA.O) and General Motors Co (GM.N) have moved faster on over-the-air software upgrades and high-speed in-vehicle data networks, the new F-150 will bring such technology squarely into the mainstream.

The new truck, expected to launch later this year, is a critical plank in Chief Operating Officer Jim Farley’s plan to slash $5 billion in warranty costs, speed Ford’s push into vehicle connectivity and add to the No. 2 U.S. automaker’s already-strong position in the North American commercial vehicle market.

Ford has borrowed more than $20 billion to ride out the economic shock from the coronavirus pandemic. Profit from the new F-150 will be key to paying that money back.

Ford is not taking big risks with the exterior look of the new truck given its sales dominance, instead focusing on improving the interior, according to those who have seen it. Ford is scheduled to publicly show for the first time the new F-150 online on June 25.

“It’s really about technology and productivity,” Farley said at a Deutsche Bank conference on June 10.

One prominent feature will be the lay-flat passenger seat like those seen in first-class cabins on some planes, said a person familiar with the plans who asked not to be identified. “You can basically live in the truck,” the person said.

Ford’s nicer interior, including a larger display screen, follows a similar move by Fiat Chrysler Automobiles NV (FCHA.MI) (FCAU.N) with its new Ram truck, which received enthusiastic reviews for its stylish interior and optional 12-inch display screen.

“Ram taught everybody a little bit of a lesson,” said Rhett Ricart, owner of Ricart Ford in Columbus, Ohio. “The old 5-inch screen for your navigation and radio controls is gone. They’re all going to be 10-, 12-, 15-inch screens. That was started by Tesla.”

The F-150’s new electrical architecture will allow Ford to provide over-the-air updates to key modules controlling the vehicle, replacing trips to the dealership.

The new truck’s connectivity also will help Ford boost sales to commercial customers, and reduce warranty costs, Farley told investors.

The F-Series truck has been around since 1948, while the F-150 debuted in 1975. Sales of the current version have remained strong despite its age, and the new model could help Ford hold or even build its position in the segment, said Sandy Munro, chief executive of Michigan-based consulting firm Munro & Associates.

“If they add the same stuff as what Ram did and if they can add more stuff like Tesla’s doing, there’ll be a gigantic gap between Ford, and Ram and Chevy,” he said.

The key for Ford will be to avoid the kinds of costly production problems that hobbled the launch of the new Explorer SUV last year. Ford acknowledged it erred in trying to launch the Explorer and Lincoln Aviator simultaneously while breaking in a new assembly line at its 95-year-old plant in Chicago.

Farley has been visiting the plants in Dearborn, Michigan, and Kansas City, Missouri, that will build the new F-150. Despite delays related to the virus, he said the launch is in “really good shape.”
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-f...-idUSKBN23P34E
Old 06-19-20, 08:04 AM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Default Ford previews 2021 F-150 with LED-intensive teaser image

It's making its global debut online on June 25

Source
Old 06-19-20, 10:33 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,504 Likes on 1,646 Posts

i hate it already.
Old 06-19-20, 11:20 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411

More so than the King Ranch?
Old 06-19-20, 12:35 PM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by mmarshall
More so than the King Ranch?
The King Ranch saddle interior is nice, but yes I prefer the exterior of the Lariat. The honeycomb looks better IMO than the horizontal slats which are reminiscent of the smaller Ranger of the time.

Old 06-19-20, 01:26 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン
Forum Moderator

Received 445 Likes on 367 Posts

The King Ranch saddle interior is nice, but yes I prefer the exterior of the Lariat. The honeycomb looks better IMO than the horizontal slats which are reminiscent of the smaller Ranger of the time.

I agree! The 2004 F150 Lariat was my favorite truck. It still looks good today.
Old 06-19-20, 02:03 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

i've always wondered why cars didn't use bigger infotainment screens.

cheap tablets only cost $99. What's $99 compared to a $40000 price tag?
Old 06-19-20, 06:01 PM
Felix
Pole Position

Received 508 Likes on 441 Posts

Ford is trying to finish up the '20my's w/ whats left, to move up the '21's. They are running the whole plant all thou there are many ppl who are still off work due to the cares act. In fact truck body was emptied last Friday and sent to the main building (to chassis, trim, & final) because there weren't enough ppl here to run both. Good, mandated every maintenance person (at least 8hrs- but w/ no midnite maint coming in, it may be longer since product runs until 3am. 93 degrees since Monday & wearing masks makes it hotter, tiki wear works & vest is only if on a bike or buggy....... btw this is in Claycomo......
Old 06-20-20, 10:52 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 69 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Felix
Ford is trying to finish up the '20my's w/ whats left, to move up the '21's. They are running the whole plant all thou there are many ppl who are still off work due to the cares act. In fact truck body was emptied last Friday and sent to the main building (to chassis, trim, & final) because there weren't enough ppl here to run both. Good, mandated every maintenance person (at least 8hrs- but w/ no midnite maint coming in, it may be longer since product runs until 3am. 93 degrees since Monday & wearing masks makes it hotter, tiki wear works & vest is only if on a bike or buggy....... btw this is in Claycomo......
It will be interesting to see what happens with F150 sales going forward. Whole industry in America is shrinking and the top dog is gonna lose some sales. I believe Ford could probably pull off a EV version...but how expensive will that be
Old 06-20-20, 11:17 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by pman6

Ha. Auto companies will sometimes skip on a $2 part if they think they don't need it.
Old 06-20-20, 06:49 PM
Felix
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Ha. Auto companies will sometimes skip on a $2 part if they think they don't need it.
As well as delete a lot of standard equipment & throw it in option packages that some possibly you wouldn't want, like frinstance, moon & tune, which for me at the time I didn't want a sunroof, but the optional audio system.
Old 06-20-20, 06:57 PM
Felix
Pole Position

Great upgraded hydroformed frame, but it really ate front brakes, after a few rotors/pads swaps on a few of them, installed a few BBK's which really helped.......
Old 06-20-20, 07:09 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by pman6

Cause automotive standards are not the same as walmart standards. The criteria of spending hours in a vibration heavy chamber, wildly varying temperatures will require something beefy.

Quick Reply: 2021 Ford F-150