Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2021 Ford F-150

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-20, 09:32 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,718 Likes on 1,946 Posts

They will get plenty flexible with fleets
Old 07-23-20, 10:44 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 94 Likes on 66 Posts

Fleets like familiarity. Accessories, maintenance, etc are a lot easier to keep transitioning to a similar vehicle. Converting your fleet over to an entirely new brand AND type of truck isn't something a fleet manager takes lightly.

And I suspect the Cybertruck will have plenty of issues anyway.
Old 07-24-20, 05:19 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by coolsaber
1) Internal combustion engines dont suffer a mileage penalty at all when towing?
2) All fleet trucks travel 1000 miles everyday? Big urban centers/Cities dont exist?
3) Maintenance intervals that are quite few and far between. Imagine no fluid change intervals, less brake changes.

Just saying, I think if a fleets going to consider an EV F150, their probably gonna look at the cybertruck and other EVs in the market. Saying the cybetruck will not be part of the equation to those considering an F150 EV, is like Mercedes, BMW, and any other luxury automaker downplaying the potential of their ev portfolio back in 2012...we know how thats going currently.

To clarify, I`m not saying the cybertruck is going to magically destroy non EV F150 sales. Just the mere opinion, that if the F150 EV cant match the popular EV options (Rivian and Cybertruck), the F150 EV will become the next ford focus electric.
no but ICE can go further than 100 miles on a tow
really how often does one change brakes?
work trucks idle....a lot. Can a cybertruck idle with the AC on for hours?
Old 07-24-20, 06:57 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by BrettJacks
Fleets like familiarity. Accessories, maintenance, etc are a lot easier to keep transitioning to a similar vehicle. Converting your fleet over to an entirely new brand AND type of truck isn't something a fleet manager takes lightly.
Exactly. I actually know a fleet manager that works for the state, and they buy all Fords because they know the pricing, they know the product, their mechanic crews know the product, their rep is in deep with them. Getting a fleet manager to change brands is a huge kill, and I would be shocked if one would go so different as to go to Tesla.

The fleet business is totally different than consumer business..
Old 07-24-20, 08:44 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
no but ICE can go further than 100 miles on a tow
really how often does one change brakes?
work trucks idle....a lot. Can a cybertruck idle with the AC on for hours?
1) So every fleet truck is towing everyday?
2) Fleet duty braking pads are not a thing?
3) Tesla model S 3 X Y owners dont use the AC?

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Exactly. I actually know a fleet manager that works for the state, and they buy all Fords because they know the pricing, they know the product, their mechanic crews know the product, their rep is in deep with them. Getting a fleet manager to change brands is a huge kill, and I would be shocked if one would go so different as to go to Tesla.
The fleet business is totally different than consumer business..
Did select fleet managers not also commit to going hybrid back in the 2000s over a homogeneous internal combustion motor fleet?
DId select fleet managers not also commit to going FCV?

Its cost per mile, plus PR points per mile (clean green energy).

Old 07-24-20, 08:49 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah they did, and they did so within the brand that they typically buy. You see a lot more Ford hybrids in fleets than you do Toyota hybrids, as an example. The fleet manager I know has bought a lot of FORD hybrids.

That’s why Ford is bringing hybrid and EV F150s to the market. Fleet managers who are accustomed to buying Fords will be much more likely to buy those than they will a Tesla Cybertruck.

The Cybertruck is just not going to be a fleet vehicle. Where are fleet Tesla model 3? There aren’t any.
Old 07-24-20, 09:00 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

cybertruck for fleets replacing f-150's? not any time soon.
Old 07-24-20, 09:05 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Yeah they did, and they did so within the brand that they typically buy. You see a lot more Ford hybrids in fleets than you do Toyota hybrids, as an example. The fleet manager I know has bought a lot of FORD hybrids.

That’s why Ford is bringing hybrid and EV F150s to the market. Fleet managers who are accustomed to buying Fords will be much more likely to buy those than they will a Tesla Cybertruck.

The Cybertruck is just not going to be a fleet vehicle. Where are fleet Tesla model 3? There aren’t any.
Is your region the largest and only fleet market? For instance NY and Cali Priuses were replacing gm vehicles in the early part of the 2000s and now its a mixed fleet of toyotas (prius, prime, AND Mirai) and fords (energi) and chevy (bolts). Toyota should have never gotten thus far; its a foreign brand unfamiliar to most fleets...yet here we are.

Again we shall see how the status quo Ford delivers on their EV product. So far their hybrid is the benchmark that every new truck hybrid has to beat which includes Toyotas incoming Tundra.

Old 07-24-20, 09:33 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

The guy I know is actually a fleet manager for the state university system of NY. I actually texted him about 20 minutes ago and asked if they would ever buy a Tesla Cybertruck and his response was "LOL, no". Their fleet is overwhelmingly Fords.

Toyota also does fleet sales, although not as aggressively as Ford and GM. Tesla has no fleet program whatsoever.

I will stand on my statement, the Tesla Cybertruck will never be a fleet vehicle. Its too expensive, it can't be worked on by their in house mechanic and maintenance departments, its an unknown quantity, its not a design that is compatible with their gear hauling systems. Just not going to happen.
Old 07-24-20, 10:47 AM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 94 Likes on 66 Posts

Also keep in mind that fleet guys are typically very blue collar. The blue collar crowd and the tesla crowd don't exactly have a huge overlap.

Fleet trucks spend a lot of time idling with their AC on. Far more than the given counterpoint of the 3, X, S, etc. And out here in the west it's not going to be popular to stop every 100 miles when towing.

Old 07-24-20, 02:06 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

The guy I know is actually a fleet manager for the state university system of NY. I actually texted him about 20 minutes ago and asked if they would ever buy a Tesla Cybertruck and his response was "LOL, no". Their fleet is overwhelmingly Fords.

Toyota also does fleet sales, although not as aggressively as Ford and GM. Tesla has no fleet program whatsoever.

I will stand on my statement, the Tesla Cybertruck will never be a fleet vehicle. Its too expensive, it can't be worked on by their in house mechanic and maintenance departments, its an unknown quantity, its not a design that is compatible with their gear hauling systems. Just not going to happen.
And thats one group. You have municipalities, police departments, cable companies, and even other state university systems that you have not talked to. Theres a market for EV trucks in fleets, whether it be cybertrucks or not.

Originally Posted by BrettJacks
Also keep in mind that fleet guys are typically very blue collar. The blue collar crowd and the tesla crowd don't exactly have a huge overlap.

Fleet trucks spend a lot of time idling with their AC on. Far more than the given counterpoint of the 3, X, S, etc. And out here in the west it's not going to be popular to stop every 100 miles when towing.
One might think that the Tesla is not a blue collar vehicle, but the truck marketed well has a really good chance to bring in folks who ordinarily leave these things as a hipster mobile. Best part (marketing ad) is its made in Texas; which is Truck Country.
Old 07-24-20, 03:24 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,826 Likes on 2,389 Posts

Not a smart manager to outright dismiss something before it is released or we know all the details.
Old 07-24-20, 04:20 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

He’s been a fleet manager for 20 years, I think he knows what he’s doing

When we see Tesla Cybertrucks in fleets, I’ll buy you one.
Old 08-11-20, 01:22 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts
Default 2021 Ford F-150 price list

Here is the complete 2021 F-150 Price List for all models/trims, equipment packages, options and factory invoiced accessories! Courtesty of F150gen14.com

Prices for the base model of the XL, XLT, Lariat, King Ranch, Platinum, and Limited trims, in regular, Super Cab, and Super Crew configurations, in 4x2 and 4x4 guises are (box length in parentheses):
  • Regular XL 4×2 (6.5) – $30,635
  • Regular XL 4×4 (6.5) – $35,280
  • Regular XLT 4×2 (6.5) – $36,745
  • Regular XLT 4×4 (6.5) – $40,170
  • SuperCab Lariat 4×2 (6.5) – $46,890
  • SuperCab Lariat 4×4 (6.5) – $50,315
  • SuperCrew King Ranch 4×2 (5.5) – $58,025
  • SuperCrew King Ranch 4×4 (5.5) – $61,450
  • SuperCrew Platinum 4×2 (5.5) – $60,805
  • SuperCrew Platinum 4×4 (5.5) – $64,230
  • SuperCrew Limited 4×2 (5.5) – $72,520
  • SuperCrew Limited 4×4 (5.5) – $75,945

https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/thre...cessories.212/
Old 08-11-20, 05:09 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

^^^^^^ Interesting. I always thought the F-150 King Ranch versions were the Top Dogs in trim-level and price. According to those charts, the Platinum and Limited versions actually out-price them.

Quick Reply: 2021 Ford F-150