Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2020 Corvette a new take on mid-engined supercars!

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-20, 09:18 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,617 Likes on 1,031 Posts

I had a first gen MR2 and it was actually great on trips. Roomy for two and very stable. No steering issues. The only real downside for me was the small trunk but it was still fine. I really miss that car.
Old 02-23-20, 08:38 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,462 Likes on 1,615 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Surprisingly good review considering it's jalopnik.

The car is objectively fast, don’t get me wrong. It just doesn’t feel that fast. It’s missing the drama that I enjoy about fast cars. Ear-splitting noise. Violent gearshifts. Hammer-like acceleration. Launch control shoots the C8 forward neatly, every single time, but you never get that extra, animalistic fury I remember so vividly about a V10 BMW M5 or a Jaguar F-Type.
This was interesting
it may be missing those things that journalists enjoy who drive them for a couple of hours and don't have to live with day in and day out, but for the rest of the planet, (and the owner's neighbors) they will be very pleased those traits are gone.
Old 02-24-20, 07:39 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

one of the great things about the vette was it didnt tow the mid mounted engine line and beat mid engine cars costing much more than it and it distinguished itself. Not anymore. Now it has the generic mid engine car look and it lost its manual transmission and now its just a less expensive euro supercar copy. What identity does it have now? The reviews havent been spectacular either. If it lacks the furious anger feel now, how is the rumored 5.5 liter high reving Z06 going to solve that?

Last edited by 4TehNguyen; 02-24-20 at 07:42 PM.
Old 02-24-20, 10:42 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

I drove the C7 GrandSport and Z06 and i was not impressed at all.
Car was all over the place with disconnected steering. You have the huge nose and just never got the true sports car feel as it was too sloppy.

C8 by all accounts is a huge improvement when it comes to suspension tuning, steering feel and direct response. If it mimicks 80% of 458 Italia or R8 for $60k then its amazing achievement.

Also this is the “base” Vette which is already crazy performance but it has to be civilized for the 50-70 year old dudes that will be buying it mostly. Same thing with Porsche 911.
Z06, GrandSport and ZR1 will be even more amazing.

I like the cockpit design, removable roof and 2 trunks.

Last edited by RNM GS3; 02-24-20 at 10:47 PM.
Old 02-25-20, 05:29 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Sounds like bad C7 design which there was a lot of. The C7 was 50/50 distribution btw

no ones getting a 60k vette. They have set it it up so no one can get one. To even make money they have to sell the trims that are $80k, so would they sell you a 60k vette so they can lose money?
Old 02-25-20, 06:53 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 302 Likes on 232 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
no ones getting a 60k vette. They have set it it up so no one can get one. To even make money they have to sell the trims that are $80k, so would they sell you a 60k vette so they can lose money?
This is demonstrably false. Plenty of people on the Corvette forums have ordered a fully base car for $59,995, or Z51 with no other options, which comes to $64,995. Many already have their TPW (tentative production week).

It is true that there are no base cars being delivered until next month, because none are being built in the first 6 weeks of production, aside from a few press cars. This is based on a fully-public constraint schedule published way back in September:

Having a constraints schedule like this is totally normal as production of a new model ramps up.
Old 02-25-20, 07:28 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

one of the great things about the vette was it didnt tow the mid mounted engine line and beat mid engine cars costing much more than it and it distinguished itself. Not anymore. Now it has the generic mid engine car look and it lost its manual transmission and now its just a less expensive euro supercar copy. What identity does it have now?
^^^^^ Some good points, 4TehNguyen. The C8 does seem to, in some ways, have become an American Ferrari. But the same could also be said for the Saleens...at a much higher price than a Corvette.
Old 02-25-20, 08:17 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by geko29
This is demonstrably false. Plenty of people on the Corvette forums have ordered a fully base car for $59,995, or Z51 with no other options, which comes to $64,995. Many already have their TPW (tentative production week).
It is true that there are no base cars being delivered until next month, because none are being built in the first 6 weeks of production, aside from a few press cars. This is based on a fully-public constraint schedule published way back in September:
Having a constraints schedule like this is totally normal as production of a new model ramps up.
Nice post Geko! Thanks!

some people just can't stop hating on the C8.

one of the great things about the vette was it didnt tow the mid mounted engine line and beat mid engine cars costing much more than it and it distinguished itself. Not anymore. Now it has the generic mid engine car look and it lost its manual transmission and now its just a less expensive euro supercar copy. What identity does it have now? The reviews havent been spectacular either. If it lacks the furious anger feel now, how is the rumored 5.5 liter high reving Z06 going to solve that?
LOL, what other AMERICAN made mid engine sports cars are there?? How many other mid engine sports cars in the world have a $59K base price?

it s still THE true American sports car!! (yes, now spout off about its only 75% US made)

Last edited by bagwell; 02-25-20 at 08:22 AM.
Old 02-25-20, 08:27 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

no people just forget what GM did on the last C7, jacking up the base price by 8% within the first year. Dont be surprised if they do the same thign again and 65k is the new base price. Only a select few are going to get it at 60k. And its a spec that no one really wants to begin with. In the end its phantom marketing. When companies do this it makes me suspicious on the product itself. C8 needs to earn its respect with me but some people give away their trust freely. Especially considering how badly GM is doing with its other products like its trucks, camaros, and issues with the C7.

https://www.thedrive.com/news/29501/...st-year-report
Old 02-25-20, 08:42 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

no people just forget what GM did on the last C7, jacking up the base price by 8% within the first year. Dont be surprised if they do the same thign again and 65k is the new base price. Only a select few are going to get it at 60k. And its a spec that no one really wants to begin with. In the end its phantom marketing. When companies do this it makes me suspicious on the product itself. C8 needs to earn its respect with me but some people give away their trust freely. Especially considering how badly GM is doing with its other products like its trucks, camaros, and issues with the C7.

https://www.thedrive.com/news/29501/...st-year-report

true, and its gonna kill sales, LOL!

Chevy has gotten an unprecedented 192,131 “hand-raisers” — customers who express an interest in buying — for a nameplate that has averaged 24,000 copies sold a year since 2006. The Corvette website has been deluged by 6.9 million visits since its introduction in July of last year with Chevy’s “Visualizer” car-configuration page receiving 2.5 million visits.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ing-to-gm.html
Old 02-25-20, 09:39 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Great video