Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2020 Corvette a new take on mid-engined supercars!

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-20, 04:40 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts
Default 2020 Corvette a new take on mid-engined supercars!

https://jalopnik.com/the-2020-chevro...mid-1841799213

Might have reinvented the wheel on this one for the better!
Old 02-21-20, 04:46 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts

Saw this yesterday at the Toronto Show. They had two models at each end of the Chevrolet display. I don’t get the la la Land love affair for this design. It just seems like it is no longer a Corvette, in the classic sense of the design.
Old 02-21-20, 04:48 PM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Received 126 Likes on 84 Posts

Surprisingly good review considering it's jalopnik.

The car is objectively fast, don’t get me wrong. It just doesn’t feel that fast. It’s missing the drama that I enjoy about fast cars. Ear-splitting noise. Violent gearshifts. Hammer-like acceleration. Launch control shoots the C8 forward neatly, every single time, but you never get that extra, animalistic fury I remember so vividly about a V10 BMW M5 or a Jaguar F-Type.
This was interesting
Old 02-21-20, 04:56 PM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Saw this yesterday at the Toronto Show. They had two models at each end of the Chevrolet display. I don’t get the la la Land love affair for this design. It just seems like it is no longer a Corvette, in the classic sense of the design.
Because that is what you are accustomed to seeing, but you need to shed that notion. Zora Arkus-Duntov "the Father of the Corvette" way back in 1962 knew that in order to be on par with the likes of Ferrari and Porsche, the Corvette HAD to be mid-engine. It took 60 years, but the man's vision finally came true.
Old 02-21-20, 05:05 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Because that is what you are accustomed to seeing, but you need to shed that notion. Zora Arkus-Duntov "the Father of the Corvette" way back in 1962 knew that in order to be on par with the likes of Ferrari and Porsche, the Corvette HAD to be mid-engine. It took 60 years, but the man's vision finally came true.
Have you seen it yourself in person?
Old 02-21-20, 07:41 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

money shot!

Old 02-21-20, 09:52 PM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Have you seen it yourself in person?
I've seen one in a showroom. front half has this corvette spade look to it, side like a Ferrari 488, rear not sure yet
Old 02-21-20, 09:52 PM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by bagwell
money shot!
Pretty nice color too
Old 02-21-20, 10:40 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 171 Likes on 102 Posts

To me a Corvette will always have more of the cabin at the back of the car. The new version just doesn't have any Corvette look or heritage to it. It's not bad, it's just more Ferrari and less Corvette.

I have a customer who has bought every single generation Vette since the beginning. This will be the first one he skips. Says he can't fit his r/c airplanes inside.
Old 02-22-20, 04:28 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

mid engine cars just all end up looking the same. Maybe the long hood, sitting on rear wheels front engine look will make a comeback for other cars. The problem with going mid engine on this one is its a point of no return.
Old 02-22-20, 06:55 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

Once you drive a mid-engine car, there is no going back.

Its like running in sneakers instead of dress shoes.

All of the car maneuvers are so much fluid, smoother and they are just so much easier to drive and control.
Not to mention stability, weight distribution etc

There are truly no negatives.

Besides Tesla, very proud that An American company actually build a world class car that truly outshines everything in its segment and will change how we look at mid-engine cars. If only Acura did the same with NSX.
Old 02-22-20, 04:57 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 103 Likes on 73 Posts

It just doesn't seem like a quintessential Corvette.

However, the reviews so far that i've seen have been STELLAR. It's objectively a great car, especially for the money.

Old 02-22-20, 07:04 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
There are truly no negatives.
I can't speak for the new Corvette as I have not sampled it, but my experience with older, less-expensive mid-engine cars, like Toyota's MR2 and Pontiac's Fiero, is they that did have some negatives. They aren't really designed for long-distance driving on Interstates or long straight roads, where the steering tends to be overly-light and darty, requiring constant small corrections to stay in the middle of your lane. They also can be a handful in windy conditions, where the light front end of the vehicle tends to get blown around. That, of course, is because, with the engine behind the driver, there is little weight over the front wheels to stabilize them. Having the engine back behind the drivers generally makes for a cramped interior, even with only two seats. The engines also tend to run hot, because the only cooling air comes through cover-grates or holes built into the side of the body panels.

So, IMO, mid-engine sports cars are great on winding two-lane roads, but of little use almost anywhere else.
Old 02-22-20, 07:14 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator
Administrator

Received 2,332 Likes on 1,419 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I can't speak for the new Corvette as I have not sampled it, but my experience with older, less-expensive mid-engine cars, like Toyota's MR2 and Pontiac's Fiero, is they that did have some negatives. They aren't really designed for long-distance driving on Interstates or long straight roads, where the steering tends to be overly-light and darty, requiring constant small corrections to stay in the middle of your lane. They also can be a handful in windy conditions, where the light front end of the vehicle tends to get blown around. That, of course, is because, with the engine behind the driver, there is little weight over the front wheels to stabilize them. Having the engine back behind the drivers generally makes for a cramped interior, even with only two seats. The engines also tend to run hot, because the only cooling air comes through cover-grates or holes built into the side of the body panels.

So, IMO, mid-engine sports cars are great on winding two-lane roads, but of little use almost anywhere else.

MM, that's quite a stretch / leap to compare the new Corvette to an 80's car.... I think most everyone will disagree with your supposition.

​​​​​​​Also, I'm 99.9% both the MR2 and Fiero have radiators in the traditional front of the car location.
Old 02-22-20, 07:23 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
MM, that's quite a stretch / leap to compare the new Corvette to an 80's car....
True. I'm not disagreeing.....that's why I said my comments applied to my limited experience with older mid-engines.

Also, I'm 99.9% both the MR2 and Fiero have radiators in the traditional front of the car location.
Sorry if my post was unclear.....I did not mean to imply that there were no radiators. Yes, they did have radiators up front, but the engines still tended to run somewhat hot. Of course, the MR2 turbo version (my former flight instructor had one) added even more heat from the turbo....which did not have the advanced intercoolers that today's turbos have.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-22-20 at 07:27 PM.

Quick Reply: 2020 Corvette a new take on mid-engined supercars!