Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Sirius fee

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-20, 11:11 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,311 Likes on 1,012 Posts

If they hadn't waived the fee, I would have cancelled on the spot even though I had two months left. I agree that they are desperate for customers and need to do all they can to retain members.
Old 02-23-20, 11:22 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by swfla
If they hadn't waived the fee, I would have cancelled on the spot even though I had two months left. I agree that they are desperate for customers and need to do all they can to retain members.
Are you going to renew it in two months?
Old 02-23-20, 11:30 AM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Received 126 Likes on 84 Posts

SiriusXM loves to haggle. When a trial subscription run out and they plan to jack up the price, just threaten to leave and magically they'll offer a much lower rate
Old 02-23-20, 01:30 PM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 426 Likes on 283 Posts

SiriusXM is the worst - you have to call and haggle with them at the end of every contract or your rates go back up to the "normal" rates. I'm done with them next month - have been with them since 2005 but with a family Spotify account at $15/month with no commercials and my ability to listen to anything I want, whenever I want, I'm not missing out on anything by cancelling SXM. I personally think they are in big trouble with things like I Heart Radio, Spotify, Apple Music, etc. I'd argue the only thing SXM has that's exclusive is Howard Stern, and I don't think he'll be doing radio much longer.
Old 02-23-20, 03:05 PM
swfla
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Are you going to renew it in two months?
Not sure at this point. I'm paying $5 plus tax each month. There are 4-5 channels I really like. San Diego has plenty of FM-HD stations too. My cell plan has 3MB data/month at $15/month with Mint Mobile. I can go over and buy more data. So it's a cheap alternative if I dump XM and apply the $5 to Mint. I've got Amazon Prime and Pandora. Being retired, I'm frugal about a lot of things but love my Lexus.
Old 02-24-20, 11:20 AM
riredale
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

Tried Sirius couple of years ago, didn't see the point since I could get ANYTHING via my phone and Bluetooth. But I still subscribe to nav traffic, since it's cheap (I think just $4 a month) but far less granular and useful than Google maps traffic.
Old 02-26-20, 09:36 AM
pryorsmith
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For the last 3 years I have never paid Sirius more that $5 / mth. Just ask . Now that they own Pandora they seem to understand that the original Sirius business model was out dated because for the first time in those 3 years, I just got a full year for $60 plus royalties and tax for $72 and change total. Before that it was always $5 /mth every 5 months. This includes streaming on phone, laptop or tv.
Old 02-27-20, 06:14 AM
evident
Racer

Received 131 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel

Almost every time I get in my car my sirius radio has to "update channels or service" for a minute or two
been a SXM user on and off for years and never had this issue on my accord, tsx, rx350 or IS350...
Old 02-27-20, 06:24 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by pryorsmith
For the last 3 years I have never paid Sirius more that $5 / mth. Just ask . Now that they own Pandora they seem to understand that the original Sirius business model was out dated because for the first time in those 3 years, I just got a full year for $60 plus royalties and tax for $72 and change total. Before that it was always $5 /mth every 5 months. This includes streaming on phone, laptop or tv.
Did you ask for the 12 mo./$60 or did they offer it? I've been getting the 5 mo./$5 for a long time and would like to extend the renewal interval if possible. Tks.
Old 02-27-20, 06:36 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Did you ask for the 12 mo./$60 or did they offer it? I've been getting the 5 mo./$5 for a long time and would like to extend the renewal interval if possible. Tks.
I have been renewing at this rate for a couple of years without any issue. I just call the day before my expiration and say I need my promo extended at the same rate. Or I ask what their current promos are, and usually it's $5/mo.

The last time I did this in December, though, that rate was for the "Select Light" package (which wasn't even shown on their website), which eliminated the streaming which they had added for free during the prior 12-month period. I pushed hard to get them to include the streaming, but I dropped it because I don't really use it.
Old 02-27-20, 07:03 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

From above comments, it seems that the deal is different with each phone call or region. I remember asking for 12 months on my last renewal (4 months ago). They said it wasn't available. I too have noticed updating when starting the car if it has sat for a few days, but it's quick. Maybe this merge with Pandora will bring benefits and continuity to members. I'm guessing that they've been surviving on people who neglect to cancel after their free trials are over.
Old 02-27-20, 12:25 PM
wasjr
Instructor

Received 58 Likes on 46 Posts

I have had XM for many years on several cars. I just call to cancel before the current expiration. For 3-4 years it was $112 (including tax), but my wife's 19 ES300h and my 15 S550 trials ended last August, and I was offered the $60 ($72 plus tax) annual on those two. Then when I called in October on my MDX renewal I asked for the $60 and was given that with no problem.

Re the "updating channels," I had never had that happen until I got the 15 S550. Now every 3-4 weeks I will get that message when I start the car.

Also, with the older S550 it does not have TuneStart to start most songs at the beginning, and it does not get all channels, such as 311 Yacht Rock that is in my rotation.
Old 03-02-20, 04:36 AM
pryorsmith
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did have to ask. I have an ‘18 Highlander for my wife and she doesn’t want SX since she doesn’t spend a lot of time driving. SX sent her the 12 month incentive and I asked for it on my LS460. I had asked every time b4 but was always refused. I dislike talking to these people every time but I do like the streaming aspect to there service and stations like their comedy selections.
Old 03-02-20, 11:44 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by wasjr
I have had XM for many years on several cars. I just call to cancel before the current expiration. For 3-4 years it was $112 (including tax), but my wife's 19 ES300h and my 15 S550 trials ended last August, and I was offered the $60 ($72 plus tax) annual on those two. Then when I called in October on my MDX renewal I asked for the $60 and was given that with no problem.

Re the "updating channels," I had never had that happen until I got the 15 S550. Now every 3-4 weeks I will get that message when I start the car.

Also, with the older S550 it does not have TuneStart to start most songs at the beginning, and it does not get all channels, such as 311 Yacht Rock that is in my rotation.
I have to use a separate Sirius only receiver to get the channels/deal I get. In order to get Howard Stern for the $5 or so a month for some stupid reason I can't use a XM radio like what my car has, it can only be Sirius or else it will be around three times as expensive every month, I can not even us radio's that say Sirius/XM so I have to use a old school older Sirius only receiver. That may have something to do with it needing to update so much, sometimes needing to acquire signal too. When I first got Sirius it would almost never do that though it would lose signal somewhat often when I would drive under trees or bridges or certain areas.
Old 03-02-20, 11:55 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
I have to use a separate Sirius only receiver to get the channels/deal I get. In order to get Howard Stern for the $5 or so a month for some stupid reason I can't use a XM radio like what my car has, it can only be Sirius or else it will be around three times as expensive every month, I can not even us radio's that say Sirius/XM so I have to use a old school older Sirius only receiver. That may have something to do with it needing to update so much, sometimes needing to acquire signal too. When I first got Sirius it would almost never do that though it would lose signal somewhat often when I would drive under trees or bridges or certain areas.
Correct. "Sirius Select" package is no exactly the same as "XM/Sirius Select" package. No Howard/NFL games on XM/Sirius Select. It's ridiculous that the packages can't be made the same across the board. I'm assuming that they just don't want to boot older customers off having those stations; but they realize the value of the NFL and Howard, so they can extort "new" customers to pay for those stations.

Quick Reply: Sirius fee