Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Test drove bmw coupes today...

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-20, 03:20 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
That Stinger interior is not on par with A4/5, 330/40, etc.
It's on par with the current 4 series and the Red Sport. Not bad at all. Just presenting options.
Old 02-23-20, 04:47 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

BMW coupes were always great to drive, and they came a very long way when it comes to interior appointment. Our first BMW coupe was a 2010 335i, and it was an awesome car to drive but its interior was just god awful, especially the clusterpluck they called cup holders.

The current 2 series I think is ideal. I am 6'4, and I had a m235i and now nave an M2, and I never found them small. My m235i was a bit short on headroom for me, but I got the M2 without a sunroof, which robs about 2" of headroom, and now I have no issues. The interior materials in the 2 series are not very premium, but they are fine, and the car is built very solid. If you load it with premium option and upgraded audio, it really does everything well. BMW's i-Drive is simply the best system out there. Annoyingly, the 2 series is still missing a HUD, even in top M2 trim. Wireless charging in my M2 is inside the handrest, and it does take up most of the space, but I am not a hoarder so its really not an issue for me - the only other things I carry in there are a couple of pens, and sunglasses. The updated 2019+ 2 series I believe has wireless charger in the tray above cup holders. My wife and I both love our M2, it is ergonomic for tall and short people, the driving experience is orgasmic, and I think it looks amazing.

The current 4 series can be appointed much nicer on the interior, especially if you go with the M4, which has a bunch of customization. But the current 4 series is bloated and ugly, and looks like a frog in the M4 trim. Judging from the spyshots the upcoming 4 series is even uglier with its obnoxious grille, but it is going to have even nicer interior appointments. Like others said, you can probably find a 4 series with heavy discounts at this time.

That said, a few weeks ago my wife and I went to test drive the M8 - we were considering it to replace her X6M. What a god awful it turned out to be. It is gorgeously styled on the exterior and gorgeously appointed on the interior, but it is ridiculously uncomfortable. Firstly, the rear seat is utterly useless - it is much smaller than the rear seat in the much smaller 2 series. Then the driving positing is horrible. I am tall, and I had no headroom, and had poor visibility with tiny windows and long hood. My wife is short, and she couldn't even see over the high placed dashboard, long hood and all the tiny windows. I didn't even bother driving it, my wife drove it around the block and came back disappointed.

I don't know if it is just BMW thing, or all coupes in its class at terrible like that. The M8 reminded me of going to test drive the SC430 ten or so years ago. It was our dream car for my wife and I, we thought it looked stunning, but were utterly disappointed after test drive. Much like the M8, gorgeous styling, amazing interior materials, but ridiculously uncomfortable, no head room, and very poor visibility. We then also checked out the 6 series and 3 series coupe, and were disappointed in the 6 series as well, but very impressed by the 3 series, and ended up with one.

The Q60 is a good car, but much like Lexus they have subpar infotainment system, which is a real deal breaker.
Old 02-24-20, 09:29 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Ok guys, thanks, i looked online at the 3 series and you're right, it's WAY nicer and upgraded over the 2 and 4 series.

One detail: the 4 series wireless charging option takes up the entire storage bin between seats - ridiculous.

Also, gf test drove that 2019 traded in Q60 Red Sport today we saw yesterday and LOVED it except it's red, otherwise she would have bought it!

I've now pointed out the improvements on the 3 over the 4 and she's going to check out a 330i.
As others stated the 3series is on the new platform while the current 4series is still using previous gen platform therefore doesn’t have the updated engines, Interior and Idrive tech.

The new 4 series will be available in the Fall of this year.
One major change is the new 4series convertible will be soft top. The other major change is the ugly grill.

I think the 330i in Msport trim is probably the perfect daily. The new 4cyl turbo is so responsive, high revving, and actually sounds pretty good from outside. The lease program is also very attractive.

The Interior quality is not that much better than previous gen, you do get some glittery stuff like more metal trim and accent lighting that u can make green, blue etc. I have it set on purple in my X3 lol
Old 02-24-20, 09:46 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
The new 3 series is pretty fast in 340 guise. Have you tried the Stinger? It's pretty cheap and about as fast as that Red Sport. Go test drive the Model 3 Performance. I know you want to
stringer is way bigger, and not a coupe, so not what my gf wants.

she test drove a 2019 red sport yesterday. LOVED it, but it's red, so a no go.

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
As others stated the 3series is on the new platform while the current 4series is still using previous gen platform therefore doesn’t have the updated engines, Interior and Idrive tech.

The new 4 series will be available in the Fall of this year.
One major change is the new 4series convertible will be soft top. The other major change is the ugly grill.

I think the 330i in Msport trim is probably the perfect daily. The new 4cyl turbo is so responsive, high revving, and actually sounds pretty good from outside. The lease program is also very attractive.

The Interior quality is not that much better than previous gen, you do get some glittery stuff like more metal trim and accent lighting that u can make green, blue etc. I have it set on purple in my X3 lol
good info. while the 330i interior isn't world's different, it's meaningfully different - gauges, and the wireless charging pad goes in a sport behind shifters (i think) thus not eating all storage space between seats.
Old 02-24-20, 11:16 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,726 Likes on 1,898 Posts

As I mentioned in a thread I posted a while back, I am not too impressed with the interior environs of the M235i I drove, but I do think it was lacking any sort of interior upgrades. However, it was fun to drive. Not sporty, mind, but still very pleasurable with great power and handling. Not to mention, it was very easy to hop in and drive, too. Everything was pretty easy. I think, for me, I'd probably rather check out a 4-series and see how it feels. Yes, it's bigger, but the interior is probably notably nicer.
Old 02-24-20, 11:41 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by arentz07
As I mentioned in a thread I posted a while back, I am not too impressed with the interior environs of the M235i I drove, but I do think it was lacking any sort of interior upgrades. However, it was fun to drive. Not sporty, mind, but still very pleasurable with great power and handling. Not to mention, it was very easy to hop in and drive, too. Everything was pretty easy. I think, for me, I'd probably rather check out a 4-series and see how it feels. Yes, it's bigger, but the interior is probably notably nicer.
You do need to pay for the upgrades - base version gets you a small screen, horrible stereo, no auto dimming mirrors, and I think even a different steering wheel.
Old 02-24-20, 01:13 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Originally Posted by Och
You do need to pay for the upgrades - base version gets you a small screen, horrible stereo, no auto dimming mirrors, and I think even a different steering wheel.
Oh yeah. The M235i does get the nice steering wheel standard, being an M-performance model, and it is great. Nice and thick rim and decent-quality leather. Worth spec-ing.

Last edited by arentz07; 02-24-20 at 01:40 PM.
Old 02-24-20, 01:25 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Did she test drive the nicest BMW of all...the Supra
Old 02-24-20, 04:07 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,718 Likes on 1,946 Posts

I would definitely check out the C Class coupe. They are more expensive, but theyre beautiful IMHO

I too like the Q60
Old 02-25-20, 06:30 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I would definitely check out the C Class coupe. They are more expensive, but theyre beautiful IMHO

I too like the Q60
c class coupe is very nice. She hates the stand up screen though, but will probably look at one soon... she's not in a rush.
Old 02-25-20, 07:43 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

c class coupe is very nice. She hates the stand up screen though, but will probably look at one soon... she's not in a rush.

It's getting harder and harder to avoid the Etch-a-Sketch screens, though, unless you go with GM or maybe a couple of others. The majority of manufacturers seem to be jumping on that bandwagon.

They might (?) just be doing it for more reasons, though, than simple cost-cutting. Video-screens, as we all know, have a relatively high failure rate, often need replacing (most shops don't even try to repair electronics any more...they just replace the hardware), and it is probably easier to replace the stick-up screens than to go deep into the center of dashboard and have to rip a lot of things out.
Old 02-25-20, 08:10 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Sounds like the RC would be the coupe for her - no pop-up screen!

Seriously though, have you given that car any consideration? I saw that the dealer is far away... but could be worth a trip for a car. Especially if there's somewhere closer to you where you could get service done.
Old 02-26-20, 04:48 AM
TripleL
No Substitute

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

The RC would be nice given what she's had and wants. Since she's not in a rush I think she really wants a C8 vette. You're welcome
Old 02-26-20, 05:29 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 297 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
Did she test drive the nicest BMW of all...the Supra
He's 6'4", so I'm guessing not. I am the same height, and when I tried to sit in one at the auto show, with my butt on the seat I smacked my cheek on the roof trying to get in.
Old 02-26-20, 06:40 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Video-screens, as we all know, have a relatively high failure rate, often need replacing (most shops don't even try to repair electronics any more...they just replace the hardware), and it is probably easier to replace the stick-up screens than to go deep into the center of dashboard and have to rip a lot of things out.
What do you mean by relatively high failure rate? Since every car now has a screen that would seem to make it a major problem, yet I've never met or read of anyone having a screen failure. The screen though may get replaced as part of a general infotainment system problem because it's typically all connected.

Originally Posted by arentz07
Sounds like the RC would be the coupe for her - no pop-up screen!

Seriously though, have you given that car any consideration? I saw that the dealer is far away... but could be worth a trip for a car. Especially if there's somewhere closer to you where you could get service done.
Thanks and i agree! We'll make the trip to Orlando at some point and have decided to look at an RC and also (shhh ) check out the T car (no not Toyota ) as well.

Originally Posted by TripleL
The RC would be nice given what she's had and wants. Since she's not in a rush I think she really wants a C8 vette. You're welcome
LOL, no way in hell she's driving a vette. She considers those the car of not svelte middle-aged guys

Originally Posted by geko29
He's 6'4", so I'm guessing not. I am the same height, and when I tried to sit in one at the auto show, with my butt on the seat I smacked my cheek on the roof trying to get in.
I'm 6'3" but you're right, not happening.

Quick Reply: Test drove bmw coupes today...