Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Test drove bmw coupes today...

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-20, 07:23 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts
Default Test drove bmw coupes today...

Not for me, no, for my girlfriend. She has a '15 infiniti q60 which is a tank, and she likes it still, but we've both realized the seats are very uncomfortable for any drive over 30 miles! Other than that, it's fast enough, handles well, has been perfectly reliable, although the interior and safety are far far from state of the art now. (My how things change in just 5 years).

We're lucky to have a VERY nice bmw dealership in town (it's a small town) that recently won a bmw customer care award above all other dealers in the western hemisphere... quite a feat!

she's not looking for a rocket, but doesn't like slow cars. so we test drove a 230i with m-sport package first, and later a 430i convertible, not that she wants a convertible, it was just the only 4-series they had still on the lot... a couple were being picked up while we were there and 2 drop dead stunning dark gray m4's were waiting for pickup.

the 230i is small, not much of a looker to me in any trim other than m2, and it has a ride that is stiff, yet has more body roll than we expected. The engine provides good power and with the car being fairly light, it seems to reach 60 in a blink of an eye. I don't know official figures. The inline 6 turbo in the 240i would no doubt be a LOT faster, but it's also a lot more expensive.

Link to 230i we drove.
https://www.bmwinocala.com/new-Ocala...2J1C0XL7E99229

Not sure that the 430i convertible we drove had the m-sport package, but the roof of course adds some 300lbs up high and in the trunk. We noticed the 430i convertible was noticeably slower than the 230i, but perhaps without the heavy roof the difference wouldn't be so noticeable. However, the wider body and much better seats meant it was worlds more comfortable inside.

Link to 430i convertible and yes it didn't have the M-Sport package.
https://www.bmwinocala.com/new-Ocala...4Z1C0XL5P85155

i noticed later after being in those 2 cars and then checking out lots of others in the showroom that bmw has made their interiors now INCREDIBLY consistent. I saw in x3, x5, x7 because as most here know i like suvs.... more on that in a bit.

the idrive works GREAT... easy to use via either touch screen on the great controller and extensive button options around it (way more than in the past).

The screens on 230i/430i are 'short' (not tall vertically) but reasonably wide, and recessed into the dash top and thus don't feel like stick up tablets so common today. The genesis g70 (another car she's looked at even though it's not a coupe) is an example of a stick up screen we don't care that much for.

Most bmws come only with runflats now and on the 2/4 we drove, they seem 'hard'.

While interiors are consistent across bmw models, they do vary of course. The 230i has some noticeably cheap plastic pieces like the lower door storage bins, glovebox, etc.

My girlfriend would like a wireless charging pad (she loves the one in my car) but we got conflicting info on that. The website pic shows it occupying a tray behind the shifter which would be pretty normal, but the 430i we drove had it in storage box between the seats chewing up most of the space in there which was pretty ridiculous.

bmw's options list is pretty long and certainly what they choose to include standard, have in a package, or have as a separate option is pretty interesting and not what i'm used to. Adaptive cruise is a separate option for example. I think led healights were an $1100 option, and. The wireless charging pad is $500. Pretty soon it all adds up.

3 year maintenance is included on all bmw's by the way. They will also come get the car and return it and leave a loaner, just like genesis.

We left there with mixed feelings, nice but not wow. I'm sure if they'd had a 440i in dark gray or black she would likely have been smitten though i personally like the 440i grand coupe which has 4 doors.

Driving back across town, we drove by the nissan dealer (we don't have an infiniti dealer here) and both happened to notice a red new-looking Q60 sitting on the lot. We both commented on how awesome it looked and decided to go take a look. We discovered it's a 2019 Q60 3.0T S with 19k mi. on it. A salesperson came by and said someone had a 2 yr lease with 10k/yr and unloaded it and the dealer picked it up at auction. Who knows if true, but we later laughed thinking good job it wasn't black or gray, or she would have bought it. The q60 may have a dated infotainment system but we both think the exterior of the car is a real winner.

Anyway, thanks for reading. We're not in any hurry on her purchase (or maybe lease this time).

i've said she should look at a lexus RC350 even though the lexus dealer in 90 mi. away.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 02-22-20 at 07:44 PM.
Old 02-22-20, 08:49 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Thanks for the write-up, bit. You don't do many reviews or test-drives, and it's nice to get your perspective once in a while.

i noticed later after being in those 2 cars and then checking out lots of others in the showroom that bmw has made their interiors now INCREDIBLY consistent. I saw in x3, x5, x7 because as most here know i like suvs.... more on that in a bit.
Although it's impossible to cross-fit a lot of things, in general, the more parts that can be interchanged between models, the more production-money is saved.

Most bmws come only with runflats now and on the 2/4 we drove, they seem 'hard'.
Yes, they are hard. Run-flat sidewalls HAVE to be hard, unless there is a very soft suspension to compensate for them. That's the only way that they will support the weight of an entire vehicle without air.

The genesis g70 (another car she's looked at even though it's not a coupe) is an example of a stick up screen we don't care that much for.

Agreed that
Etch-a-Sketch screens look tacky, but, if you and her can get past that, IMO it's tough to beat the G70 in its class (upscale compact sport-sedan). I did a full-review on the 2.0T and was VERY impressed.....probably won have been even more so with the V6.

That way, you and her could also use the same dealership.....and a lot of dealers like loyalty and repeat-ownership.

i've said she should look at a lexus RC350 even though the lexus dealer in 90 mi. away.
If she has a Q60, and apparently likes compact-sized upscale coupes (and if her budget can handle it), have her look at an Audi A5 or S5. Always felt the A5 was simple-looking, gorgeous, and avoids the awkward styling of some other makes. Although some other manufacturers (notably Genesis) have caught up, Audi originally wrote the book on interior fit/finish and material-quality....it was the industry benchmark, short of 300K mega-luxury vehicles, of nicely-done interiors.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-22-20 at 09:00 PM.
Old 02-22-20, 09:09 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
If she has a Q60, and apparently likes compact-sized upscale coupes (and if her budget can handle it), have her look at an Audi A5 or S5. Always felt the A5 was simple-looking, gorgeous, and avoids the awkward styling of some other makes.
Not sure when it got refreshed but i just took a look at a 2020, and not that gorgeous any longer, to me.

As for the screen, it's even more of a 'tombstone' on the a5 now...

Old 02-22-20, 09:40 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

I recommend with BMW to do custom order.
The options and color combos really make a world of difference.

2 series Interior is very low rate imo, 4series is definitely better.
With the new 4series about to drop, you should be getting a CRAZY lease deal - i think $15k off msrp including the rebates they have.

Also consider the 330i Msport, the upgraded turbo 4 is MUCH better than the one in the 230i and 430i.
I believe its 255hp, 295tq - when I drove 330i, i was shocked how good it was.

Have you considered the Mustang, Cclass coupe or A5?
Old 02-23-20, 04:44 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm sure you are aware that the BMW coupes lag behind the sedans for new generations. The interior of the G20 sedans is much nicer than the interior of the F30 (or F32 for coupes) interiors.
Old 02-23-20, 06:22 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

When I was researching our recent BMW purchase I came across some videos from BMW of Ocala. They are really active on You Tube with videos of BMW models. Good luck with the new car shopping.
Old 02-23-20, 06:35 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
I recommend with BMW to do custom order.
The options and color combos really make a world of difference.
agreed, and dealer inventory of coupes is more limited. Dealer did do a good search while there to see if something fitting was anywhere and they found one in tx but not ready to buy yet anyway.

2 series Interior is very low rate imo, 4series is definitely better.
agreed.

With the new 4series about to drop, you should be getting a CRAZY lease deal - i think $15k off msrp including the rebates they have.
i guess i wasn't really paying attention to bmw releases, so the hideous tall double kidney grill we've seen in spy shots is the new 4 series?

Also consider the 330i Msport, the upgraded turbo 4 is MUCH better than the one in the 230i and 430i.
I believe its 255hp, 295tq - when I drove 330i, i was shocked how good it was.
why on earth is the 4 cyl engine in the 330i different than the 230i and 430i?

Have you considered the Mustang, Cclass coupe or A5?
thanks... mustang probably not her thing (and too big), cclass coupe looks really good, might be a contender, but doing a build on website shows the absurdity of their options list and prices...

Originally Posted by tex2670
I'm sure you are aware that the BMW coupes lag behind the sedans for new generations. The interior of the G20 sedans is much nicer than the interior of the F30 (or F32 for coupes) interiors.
I don't follow model codes like g20, f30, etc.
Old 02-23-20, 10:08 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
I don't follow model codes like g20, f30, etc.
Ok, well then the 19-20 3-Series sedan has a much nicer interior than the current 4-Series, which is on the prior generation design. Presumably, 4-Series should catch up for '21 MY, but I haven't seen anything official.
Old 02-23-20, 10:32 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tex2670
Ok, well then the 19-20 3-Series sedan has a much nicer interior than the current 4-Series, which is on the prior generation design. Presumably, 4-Series should catch up for '21 MY, but I haven't seen anything official.
thanks. obviously i didn't look in 19-20 3-series but how is it much nicer?
Old 02-23-20, 10:49 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

why on earth is the 4 cyl engine in the 330i different than the 230i and 430i?
Because the G20 3-Series is the newest model. The 230i and 430i will follow eventually.
Old 02-23-20, 10:54 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

2018 vs 2020

Old 02-23-20, 11:22 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

thanks. obviously i didn't look in 19-20 3-series but how is it much nicer?
The controls, materials, layout, display. The prior generation 3-Series debuted as a '12 model; 4-Series (with essentially the same interior) as a '14 MY. So the current 4-Series still has the interior which, with an updated generation of iDrive, and some other minor interior updates, effectively dates back to '12 MY. I mean--unless you get the digital dash, the instrument panel isn't even back-lit during the day.
Old 02-23-20, 01:14 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Ok guys, thanks, i looked online at the 3 series and you're right, it's WAY nicer and upgraded over the 2 and 4 series.

One detail: the 4 series wireless charging option takes up the entire storage bin between seats - ridiculous.

Also, gf test drove that 2019 traded in Q60 Red Sport today we saw yesterday and LOVED it except it's red, otherwise she would have bought it!

I've now pointed out the improvements on the 3 over the 4 and she's going to check out a 330i.
Old 02-23-20, 02:51 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

The new 3 series is pretty fast in 340 guise. Have you tried the Stinger? It's pretty cheap and about as fast as that Red Sport. Go test drive the Model 3 Performance. I know you want to
Old 02-23-20, 03:18 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by EZZ
The new 3 series is pretty fast in 340 guise. Have you tried the Stinger? It's pretty cheap and about as fast as that Red Sport. Go test drive the Model 3 Performance. I know you want to
That Stinger interior is not on par with A4/5, 330/40, etc.

Quick Reply: Test drove bmw coupes today...