Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Redesigned UX, NX, RX and LX

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-20 | 07:09 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I am sure those who like Lexus would disagree.
Originally Posted by SW17LS
Again, mistaking your opinion with fact

Spindle grille isn’t going anywhere.

No doubt....I'm not claiming otherwise. But the spindles have been controversial....that's always been at least somewhat of a fact. And that's why I mentioned a possible tone-down as a compromise.

We'll see, though....sometimes the designers have a way of surprising us or doing something unexpected.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-23-20 at 07:13 PM.
Old 02-23-20 | 07:14 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
No doubt....I'm not claiming otherwise. But the spindles have been controversial....that's always been at least somewhat of a fact. And that's why I mentioned a possible tone-down as a compromise.
What are the worldwide sales and prices for Lexus before and after the spindle grille? That should settle the argument
Old 02-23-20 | 07:28 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

What are the worldwide sales and prices for Lexus before and after the spindle grille? That should settle the argument

Not an argument, at least on my part....simply a discussion. Life's too short to get into real arguments....especially since the GM strike LOL.

But, to specifically address your point, I tend to be of the belief that first-time sales are not necessarily as important as the percentage of repeat-buyers. Some buyers have remorse after a sale, although one thing that has always kept Lexus sales going is the reliability of its products, regardless of how they looked.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-23-20 at 07:33 PM.
Old 02-23-20 | 07:37 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Not an argument, at least on my part....simply a discussion. Life's too short to get into real arguments....especially since the GM strike LOL.
Sales, profits, and market share is the bottom line. When worldwide sales suffer, spindle will change.
Old 02-23-20 | 07:39 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Sales, profits, and market share is the bottom line.
In general, that's true, but not always. If it were always so, some niche-vehicles (not necessarily from Lexus, but from automakers in general) would not have stayed in production for so long.
Old 02-23-20 | 08:51 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

The 40-mile plug-in range combined with the "safety net" of a gas backup will make it great for daily commute and road trips. Too bad it isn't offered today.
Old 02-23-20 | 09:03 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Two to three years is a long time from now. Should be now or one year from now.
The NX has nowhere to go but better. The potential to modernize it and create a striking design like no other is off the charts. If I were Lexus, I'd be drawing up something totally sleek and unexpected. The NX slot is the easiest place for the brand to trump the competition and make waves. Audi kinda had the same opportunity with the new Q3, but didn't go far enough. The Q5 has the same potential, but they will likely wimp out on that too. Lexus cannot wimp out.

Old 02-23-20 | 09:14 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Whatever design they have was probably finalized two or more years ago. Let's hope they made some good decisions with the interior/exterior and tech integration.
Old 02-24-20 | 03:59 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

not a chance... there's loads of factors involved in sales and prices other than the grille.

but i know people (even loyal prior serial lexus owners) who refused to get one because of the grille.
Old 02-24-20 | 04:51 AM
speedkar9
Lexus Champion

I went on the plant tour at the RX / Rav4 factory a few weeks ago.
Target production date for NX is April 2022 and RX is August 2022. I'm guessing they'd be 2023 models.

Regardless, Lexus has a busy 2022 debut season ahead of it with all these new SUV's.
Old 02-24-20 | 05:30 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by speedkar9
I went on the plant tour at the RX / Rav4 factory a few weeks ago.
Target production date for NX is April 2022 and RX is August 2022. I'm guessing they'd be 2023 models.

Regardless, Lexus has a busy 2022 debut season ahead of it with all these new SUV's.
But until then.... just going to rely on some special editions like the Crafted Line, or Black Line, the Lexus version of Toyota's Nightshade to try to drum up showroom traffic. They can likely get along with this since they have a large owner base in the U.S. but won't do anything to aid in conquest.
Old 02-24-20 | 05:33 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

I believe the UX is a monumental hit. I believe sales are far exceeding the expectations.
Maybe for Canada? and maybe in the soundbites they put out for monthly sales reports?

But the UX is outsold by the Volvo XC40 in the States, a brand that has significantly lower overall share of the luxury market than Lexus. New Q3 was on sale for maybe the last 1/3 of 2019 and nearly matched UX sales.

So, monumental??? I wouldn't put it that way, but hey, opinions are like butts, and everyone has one.
Old 02-24-20 | 05:37 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by pbm317
Maybe for Canada? and maybe in the soundbites they put out for monthly sales reports?

But the UX is outsold by the Volvo XC40 in the States, a brand that has significantly lower overall share of the luxury market than Lexus. New Q3 was on sale for maybe the last 1/3 of 2019 and nearly matched UX sales.

So, monumental??? I wouldn't put it that way, but hey, opinions are like butts, and everyone has one.
Thanks. Will take a look. Thanks for the response. Monumental in the sense of worldwide sales. I don’t think the UX was supposed to do anything in the US or Canada.

Old 02-24-20 | 06:22 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I don’t think the UX was supposed to do anything in the US or Canada.
I've posted this before, so I don't think it's a repeat, but when the UX debuted, I had nothing but contempt for it on the static-inspection, until I actually took it for a test-drive (at the suggestion of other posters here) and was actually quite impressed with its road manners. I said then, and still do, that IMO it's a better buy than the NX, unless you need the NX's roomier interior.
Old 02-24-20 | 06:25 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

I've posted this before, so I don't think it's a repeat, but when the UX debuted, I had nothing but contempt for it on the static-inspection, until I actually took it for a test-drive (at the suggestion of other posters here) and was actually quite impressed with its road manners. I said then, and still do, that IMO it's a better buy than the NX, unless you need the NX's roomier interior.
Yeah. You said that already.

Quick Reply: Redesigned UX, NX, RX and LX