Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Redesigned UX, NX, RX and LX

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-20 | 09:34 AM
jbl-1985
Advanced

Originally Posted by All4Lexus
LOL, I presume the 'touch' component for the on-screen pointer will be through the track pad on the bottom. The screen set up seems way too far past the steering wheel (more than an arm's length away).

I dont know about this. The colors/trim/styling does attempts an unique look. Not a fan of the beige/offwhite interiors as they can show scuffs/discolorations and not age well over time.
Agreed. This looks like a prototype design? Otherwise, this is not practical to reach for to touch the screen, and you might as well put the touchpad/joystick back in place.
Old 02-26-20 | 11:05 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jbl-1985
This looks like a prototype design?
ya think?

Otherwise, this is not practical to reach for to touch the screen, and you might as well put the touchpad/joystick back in place.
no that prototype rendering couldn't be touch screen on that main set back screen unless you use a selfie-stick to touch it.
Old 02-26-20 | 11:07 AM
Slickride
Rookie

Must be concept design only. There is no driver side mirror, only the arm. So, it would have to be for Europe or conceptual since camera mirrors have not been approved in the US.
Old 02-26-20 | 11:14 AM
All4Lexus
Intermediate

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
ya think?

no that prototype rendering couldn't be touch screen on that main set back screen unless you use a selfie-stick to touch it.
That's for sure the official laugh of the day.
Old 02-26-20 | 11:18 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Slickride
Must be concept design only. There is no driver side mirror, only the arm. So, it would have to be for Europe or conceptual since camera mirrors have not been approved in the US.
Of course it is. Nobody thinks this is a final design LOL
Old 02-26-20 | 01:54 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by coolsaber
For sure, but the thought of folks like Jill mentioning "I don’t think the UX was supposed to do anything in the US or Canada." is exactly what confuses me.

Why would Lexus not design and cater vehicles to its largest markets that cant get enough of CUVs? That would be like saying Lexus hates making money lol?
there is nothing wrong there - small CUVs will never be a craze in the US and with every vehicle they focus on countries that they think are its prime markets.

Japan and Europe vehicle preferences are different so there will be always car like Yaris that sell 240,000 vehicles in Europe alone for 2019, but nothing in USA. Does that make Yaris unsuccessful vehicle for Toyota? I bet not. So in the same way, UX selling close to 20k per year in the USA and being #2 seller in Japan (and parts of South East Asia) and Europe is making it very successful vehicle for Lexus.

On the other hand, vehicles like GX or LX dont even sell in most of Europe (only in Russia).
Old 02-26-20 | 02:02 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mmarshall

IMO, though, if Lexus is smart on these next SUV redesigns coming up, they will dump (or at least tone down) the big spindle-grilles. They have worn out their welcomes, particularly on the RX. Acura made the mistake of keeping their parrot-beak grilles too long, and we saw what happened.
Um no, RX is the best selling cross over period, it outsells several major BMW SUV classes combined.

Old 02-26-20 | 02:07 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
not a chance... there's loads of factors involved in sales and prices other than the grille.

but i know people (even loyal prior serial lexus owners) who refused to get one because of the grille.
What we do know is that Lexus F-SPORT is very popular and has been added on every model except the LX. BUYERS are paying extra to add a package that dramatically enhances the aggressive nature of the front end. F-SPORT also upgrades suspension and exhaust but are people really paying for that? Its all about the looks.

What a few people on an enthusiast forum desires is not representative of what the general mass market consumer's desires.
Old 02-26-20 | 02:16 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by G Star
What we do know is that Lexus F-SPORT is very popular and has been added on every model except the LX. BUYERS are paying extra to add a package that dramatically enhances the aggressive nature of the front end. F-SPORT also upgrades suspension and exhaust but are people really paying for that? Its all about the looks.

What a few people on an enthusiast forum desires is not representative of what the general mass market consumer's desires.
I will say the seats are somewhat different. And I really love the feel and love of the F sport seats in most models.
Old 02-26-20 | 02:17 PM
Freds430
Pole Position

Um no, RX is the best selling cross over period, it outsells several major BMW SUV classes combined.
In 2019 in the US the RX was by far the best selling luxury SUV. The Mercedes GLC was second with 72,000 units sold. You are close with BMW. There were 111,000 RX's sold last year and X3's 70,000 sold , X5 54,000, X7 21,000 and X1's 17,000.
Old 02-26-20 | 02:19 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by spwolf
there is nothing wrong there - small CUVs will never be a craze in the US and with every vehicle they focus on countries that they think are its prime markets.

Japan and Europe vehicle preferences are different so there will be always car like Yaris that sell 240,000 vehicles in Europe alone for 2019, but nothing in USA. Does that make Yaris unsuccessful vehicle for Toyota? I bet not. So in the same way, UX selling close to 20k per year in the USA and being #2 seller in Japan (and parts of South East Asia) and Europe is making it very successful vehicle for Lexus.

On the other hand, vehicles like GX or LX dont even sell in most of Europe (only in Russia).
This a great post. Thank you for your balanced viewpoint. Lexus models are sometimes very different depending where you are in other parts of the world. Canada no longer gets RWD GS or LS models, all awd. Other parts of the world get diesel Lexus models, hybrid model exclusive to those areas. 4 cylinder RX and ES models. Even a non turbo LS350 in China.

Coming back to the UX, you get your UX with adaptive variable suspension in Europe, North America does not get it....then there is the EV version in Europe and China as well

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 02-26-20 at 02:30 PM.
Old 02-26-20 | 02:31 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

my point was the grille alone cannot be correlated with worldwide sales as the sole determinant.

you're right that sport packages are popular... lexus took the cue from bmw m-sport, and mercedes amg-sport
Old 02-26-20 | 04:46 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I never said it didn't. What I did say was that the spindle grille did seem to effect some sales......not enough to bump it ut of first place.
Old 02-26-20 | 04:49 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by spwolf
there is nothing wrong there - small CUVs will never be a craze in the US
I'm not sure what you mean by that. CUVs, and particularly small ones, ARE already a craze in the U.S. Automakers selling in the American market is falling all over themselves trying to get new models out. They are debuting faster than we can write them up here on Car Chat LOL.
Old 02-26-20 | 04:50 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I'm not sure what you mean by that. CUVs, and particularly small ones, ARE already a craze in the U.S. Every automaker selling in the American market is falling all over themselves trying to get new models out. They are debuting faster than we can write them up here on Car Chat LOL.
The smallest CUV are even more popular outside of the United States

Quick Reply: Redesigned UX, NX, RX and LX