Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Redesigned UX, NX, RX and LX

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-20 | 04:08 AM
Freds430
Pole Position

Default Redesigned UX, NX, RX and LX

This is from Motor 1.com. It was posted in the NX section but thought that it also mentions the UX, RX and LX should go here.

On the SUV side, the entry-level UX will be facelifted during the 2021 calendar year for the 2022MY. The same model year will see the introduction of an all-new NX slated to come out in the fall of 2021 on the TNGA-K platform with five different powertrains, including a 2.5-liter plug-in hybrid with 40 miles (64 kilometers) of electric range. The NX is said to use a newly developed infotainment system with a 14-inch touchscreen as part of a “unique cockpit.” Some of the other tech will include a cloud-based navigation system and remote parking using a smartphone app, while the F-Sport model will offer 20-inch wheels. We’re being told it will have a “strikingly avant-garde design with revolutionary tech.”

Another model bound to ride on the TNGA-K platform will be the 2023 RX due to arrive in the 2022 calendar year as a “much better executed three-row family vehicle.” The current GX will remain in production until 2022, with a replacement currently in development for a 2023 launch.

The next LX will reportedly represent a “huge departure” from the current model. It’s said to become far more luxurious and “an entirely different vehicle” compared to the outgoing LX, with a twin-turbo V6 hybrid underneath the hood and a diesel outside of the United States. The next-gen LX is slated to come out sometime in 2022 and will be more along the lines of a Bentley Bentayga rather than a luxed-up Land Cruiser.

For the NX a 14 inch touchscreen, Android Auto and a plug-in hybrid with 40 mile range and I will buy in a second. A 40 mile range in my daily driving will cover 90% of usage. Off electricity getting 40 mpg+ and I would probably need to fill up once a month. The Rav 4 plug-in hybrid coming out this spring also has a 40 mile range and 300 horsepower and HUD. Put all this in a redesigned NX and WOW!!!!

Old 02-23-20 | 04:14 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

I do hope Lexus keeps the RX as a two row option as well. 14” NX touchscreen, lets home they keep some redundant buttons and don’t go a Audi like design like the A8 where there are so many screens
Old 02-23-20 | 08:41 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

good stuff if true, but it's going to be a long 2-3 year wait...
Old 02-23-20 | 08:57 AM
All4Lexus
Intermediate

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
good stuff if true, but it's going to be a long 2-3 year wait...
Thanks for sharing Fred430! I'm intrigued by their improved NX interior and how much better it will be. Perhaps there is some inspiration gleaned from the Audi Q3 redesign?

2-3 years is definitely an eternity. By then the hybrid/EV talk can be all the rage. Why 5 power trains for the NX? will there be enough demand for it?

I do like for multiple screens if it isnt overkill. Audi sure has pushed the limits of the 'cockpit' experience.
Old 02-23-20 | 09:08 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

14 inch touch screen...Buttons be gone LOL

Old 02-23-20 | 09:17 AM
All4Lexus
Intermediate

Originally Posted by coolsaber

LOL, I presume the 'touch' component for the on-screen pointer will be through the track pad on the bottom. The screen set up seems way too far past the steering wheel (more than an arm's length away).

I dont know about this. The colors/trim/styling does attempts an unique look. Not a fan of the beige/offwhite interiors as they can show scuffs/discolorations and not age well over time.
Old 02-23-20 | 09:18 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by All4Lexus
Thanks for sharing Fred430! I'm intrigued by their improved NX interior and how much better it will be. Perhaps there is some inspiration gleaned from the Audi Q3 redesign?

2-3 years is definitely an eternity. By then the hybrid/EV talk can be all the rage. Why 5 power trains for the NX? will there be enough demand for it?

I do like for multiple screens if it isnt overkill. Audi sure has pushed the limits of the 'cockpit' experience.
I am assuming the NX will be a scaled-up version of the UX style interior. It should be interesting.
Old 02-23-20 | 09:46 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Looks like a annoying nightmare to actually live with. Do automakers really think getting rid of physical buttons and switches is what buyers want or is it just cheaper to put all functions in a touch screen now so they are jumping on board to save money.

I would wait what is official from Lexus instead of relying on what rumors "motor1" says Lexus is going to do.
Old 02-23-20 | 11:59 AM
rogerh00
Racer

Where did the image come from? What model Lexus?

It appears that there are side mirror cameras attached to the top center of the dash. Interesting.

I'm waiting anxiously to see the new NX.
Old 02-23-20 | 01:14 PM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

See a ton of UX's and RX's around my hood - its a hit around these parts! I also imagine the UX becoming slightly bigger and more upscale in the next iteration.

Personally, the redesign of aging GX hopefully helps it compete and appeal similarly along the lines of a Range Rover Sport or BMW X5 M-Sport...and the LX redesign should target the X7 and full size Range Rover (although the article mentions it, doubt anyone considering a high end SUV would even look at a Lexus LX over a Bentley Bentayga).
Old 02-23-20 | 01:16 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by AJLex19
See a ton of UX's and RX's around my hood - its a hit around these parts! I also imagine the UX becoming slightly bigger and more upscale in the next iteration.
).
I believe the UX is a monumental hit. I believe sales are far exceeding the expectations.
Old 02-23-20 | 06:54 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by rogerh00
Where did the image come from? What model Lexus?

It appears that there are side mirror cameras attached to the top center of the dash. Interesting.

I'm waiting anxiously to see the new NX.
LF-1 Concept

This is a hint into the upcoming lineup
Old 02-23-20 | 06:57 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I believe the UX is a monumental hit. I believe sales are far exceeding the expectations.

Unless the extra interior room in the larger NX is a major priority, I'd bet that a lot of people who test-drive the two, comparing the road-manners, actually drive home in a UX.

IMO, though, if Lexus is smart on these next SUV redesigns coming up, they will dump (or at least tone down) the big spindle-grilles. They have worn out their welcomes, particularly on the RX. Acura made the mistake of keeping their parrot-beak grilles too long, and we saw what happened.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-23-20 at 07:01 PM.
Old 02-23-20 | 07:06 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Again, mistaking your opinion with fact

Spindle grille isn’t going anywhere.

I personally think the refresh RX looks way better in the front than the pre refresh car.
Old 02-23-20 | 07:06 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Unless the extra interior room in the larger NX is a major priority, I'd bet that a lot of people who test-drive the two, comparing the road-manners, actually drive home in a UX.

IMO, though, if Lexus is smart on these next SUV redesigns coming up, they will dump (or at least tone down) the big spindle-grilles. They have worn out their welcomes, particularly on the RX. Acura made the mistake of keeping their parrot-beak grilles too long, and we saw what happened.
I am sure those who like Lexus would disagree.

Quick Reply: Redesigned UX, NX, RX and LX