Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Factory-installed dash cam

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-20 | 09:14 AM
BrickHead
Instructor

Default Factory-installed dash cam

Hello,
Does Lexus or any car brand offer factory-fitted dash cam? I’ve bought a few dual dash cams from amazon and the rear facing cams always break down after a year or two of use. It would be nice if a car manufacturer offered a build-in dash cam (front and back).

Thanks for any info.
Old 02-25-20 | 09:28 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by BrickHead
Hello,
Does Lexus or any car brand offer factory-fitted dash cam? I’ve bought a few dual dash cams from amazon and the rear facing cams always break down after a year or two of use. It would be nice if a car manufacturer offered a build-in dash cam (front and back).

Thanks for any info.
Tesla. You have to supply the USB / SD card / SSD. It also has video recording on the sides for any vandalism when car is parked.
Old 02-25-20 | 09:34 AM
BrickHead
Instructor

Originally Posted by EZZ
Tesla. You have to supply the USB / SD card / SSD. It also has video recording on the sides for any vandalism when car is parked.
Thank you! I don’t plan to buy a Tesla unfortunately. I was hoping Lexus would offer it..
Old 02-25-20 | 01:13 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

I have installed dedicated forward facing windshield a separately dedicated rear window mounted dash cams.

I tried previously a combo front with a lower resolution included rear camera, but the rear resolution was so bad i can not make out the other vehicle's front license plate just behind my vehicle.

The ones I bought was around $89 each and will take a 32Gb micro SD card CLASS 10 as is OR a 64Gb reformatted to FAT32. After three years they are still working fine. Yes, you can buy the REALLY expensive dash cams, but my $89 dash cams worked just fine.

I do have a "Ravin" unit in my teenager's car with built in dual front and inside cabin cams. It has its own cell communications built in (with a monthly subscription) that I can tap in and look/two way video chats and automatic cloud uploads. Plus I can set geofencing perimeters, speed limit alerts, agreesive braking/acceleration notification, and when parked motion alerts, vehicle error codes notification, fuel level, live speed monitoring,e and etc....

Plus real time telemetrics and historical video/pictures retrieval via smartphone remotely. It's like a BLACK BOX for the vehicle.
​​​​
I've had this unit for about two and half years when it first came out and they have since updated many more features.......

https://ravenconnected.com/

Originally Posted by BrickHead
Thank you! I don’t plan to buy a Tesla unfortunately. I was hoping Lexus would offer it..

Last edited by lexusrus; 02-25-20 at 01:17 PM.
Old 02-25-20 | 01:34 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

depending on the state they can run afoul of "wiretapping" laws where you need 2 party consent to record things like audio inside the car

good thing texas is a 1 party consent state, the consenting party being myself of course
Old 02-25-20 | 02:33 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Does not matter since I own the car and of course my teenage son consents!!! If not, he can go buy and pay for his own car!!!

Besides, whomever is inside the car can hit disconnect at anytime.

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
depending on the state they can run afoul of "wiretapping" laws where you need 2 party consent to record things like audio inside the car

good thing texas is a 1 party consent state, the consenting party being myself of course
Old 02-25-20 | 03:40 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

You can do better than factory quality and cost. Link is the the only thing I remember for Lexus.

https://www.kenshawlexus.com/parts/l...e-dash-camera/