Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2021 vw gti

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-20, 10:20 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts
Default 2021 vw gti

The 2021 VW GTI has finally been revealed, and it doesn't mess with the formula. Inside and out, its only a little more aggressive looking than the regular eighth-generation Golf. Those mild exterior changes hide a punchy turbo four-cylinder that's even more potent than the last one.

That engine is an updated version of the same EA888 turbocharged 2.0-liter four-cylinder that powers the current GTI. Power has increased from 228 to 241 horses, and torque is up from 258 pound-feet to 273. A six-speed manual transmission remains standard while a seven-speed dual-clutch transmission is an option. Power still goes to the front wheels, and suspension duties are handled by MacPherson struts at the front and a multilink design at the rear.

While they won't come to America, it's worth noting that Europe will get diesel GTD and plug-in hybrid GTE variants. The former comes only with the seven-speed dual-clutch transmission and makes 197 horsepower and 295 pound-feet of torque. The PHEV makes the same 241 horsepower as the GTI and torque that happens to match the 295 pound-feet of the GTD, plus it boasts 37 miles of electric range.

Surrounding the GTI's pumped-up engine is a basic Golf body enhanced with classic GTI touches and some more aggressive bodywork. A red accent line runs across the front on the top edge of the headlights. It lines up with the red GTI badges on the fenders, too. On the European GTE, those accents are blue, and the GTD gets gray accents. The lower grille now has a hexagonal mesh instead of slats, and it looks completely open the whole way across. Hidden on either side are sets of five fog lights that are nearly invisible when switched off. Another neat piece of lighting is the full-width daytime running light. The GTI also gets a more aggressive front splitter, side skirts, rear spoiler and diffuser. The GTI's badge is now larger and is displayed proudly in the middle of the rear hatch below the VW badge. Standard wheels are just 17 inches in diameter, though 18- and 19-inch wheels are available optionally.

The GTI's interior is nearly identical to that of the regular Golf except for a few details. The standard seats are more aggressively bolstered and wear a new version of the GTI's signature plaid upholstery. A sportier leather-wrapped steering wheel replaces the standard unit, and it features touch controls. On dual-clutch-equipped GTIs, the center console hosts a little shifter nub like you'd find in a new 911. GTIs also come standard with the 10.25-inch instrument display and 10-inch infotainment display. Ambient lighting is also featured and can display 30 colors.

We expect the VW GTI to go on sale in the U.S. later this year. Naturally, pricing hasn't been announced, but expect that and more details on U.S. equipment to arrive closer to the on-sale date. The current GTI has a base price of just over $29,000, so the new one will probably start at a similar price.
Source
Old 02-27-20, 11:47 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

I see they kept the traditional black/red/gray/white plaid upholstery and red-stitching inside.....two of its most well-known trademarks. Also nice that you can still get the three-pedal manual...though today's traffic and other driving-impediments gives drivers less and less of an opportunity to enjoy rowing one's gears.

In this modern automotive world of appliances and bread-and-butter sameness inside and out, the GTI has always been one of the few vehicles with a distinct personality. Not the only one, by any means, but one of the relatively few remaining.
Old 02-27-20, 11:54 AM
Hoovey689

Overall looks like a nice clean evolution. A little cheap on the bezel that surrounds the window switches and the bezel around the odd gear shift. But I do like this
Old 02-27-20, 12:17 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I see they kept the traditional black/red/gray/white plaid upholstery and red-stitching inside.....two of its most well-known trademarks. Also nice that you can still get the three-pedal manual...though today's traffic and other driving-impediments gives drivers less and less of an opportunity to enjoy rowing one's gears.

In this modern automotive world of appliances and bread-and-butter sameness inside and out, the GTI has always been one of the few vehicles with a distinct personality. Not the only one, by any means, but one of the relatively few remaining.
Dead on.

I can't think of another car that, for the years that the GTI has been around, that each and every generation, I thought "Yeah, I would definitely get one of those." Most cars have at least one generation where they lose their way, and I lose interest. I guess the GTI and the Miata I feel this way about.
Old 02-27-20, 12:33 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Overall looks like a nice clean evolution.
I would call it a CHEAP evolution, changes are too minimal IMO.
Larger fender bulges for the GTI (that could carry over maybe to a new R) would be nice vs the same design as the Golf.

....and those wheels are horrendous...I mean even Chevy offers black wheels.

no comparison to this effort!!!

Last edited by bagwell; 02-27-20 at 12:43 PM.
Old 02-27-20, 01:05 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by bagwell
I'll amen to that. Job well done on the revised Toureg
Old 02-27-20, 05:47 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,809 Likes on 1,931 Posts

Yeah as someone who is interested in the Mk7 GTI right now, this refresh does not work for me at least on the outside. The inside is something I think I could get used to though. It's refreshingly simple. Some of the angles remind me of the Jetta interior, which isn't a good thing to reminded of. However, if the current Golf's materials carry over, it should be better quality than the Jetta.
Old 02-27-20, 05:51 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

That front end is very un-VW like. Don’t like the fog lights.
Old 02-27-20, 07:26 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell
I would call it a CHEAP evolution, changes are too minimal IMO.
Larger fender bulges for the GTI (that could carry over maybe to a new R) would be nice vs the same design as the Golf.

....and those wheels are horrendous...I mean even Chevy offers black wheels.

For a minute there thought somone photoshopped a q7 with a vW face...didnt know thats a touraeg?
Old 02-28-20, 12:45 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Squarish and angular greenhouse, shoulders, and rear-end, but overly curvy hood. Does not come together at all on the outside. Headlights are also upside-down.
Old 02-28-20, 05:29 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,462 Likes on 1,615 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
I can't think of another car that, for the years that the GTI has been around, that each and every generation, I thought "Yeah, I would definitely get one of those."
but have you ever bought one? I think most in the u.s. that think they're cool still don't buy them.

i test drove one years ago... nice to drive, but still felt rather small and i hated the plaid seats lol.
Old 02-28-20, 05:30 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
but have you ever bought one? I think most in the u.s. that think they're cool still don't buy them.
Well...no. But I might.
Old 02-28-20, 06:07 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 302 Likes on 232 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

i test drove one years ago... nice to drive, but still felt rather small and i hated the plaid seats lol.
I would never buy one with the plaid seats. But I came this close || to buying a Golf R a few years ago, and may be looking at an R or GTI as a DD in a few years for days when I can't drive my (eventual) C8.
Old 02-28-20, 07:53 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by geko29
I would never buy one with the plaid seats.
You don't like plaid? That's one of the GTI's trademarks....along with red-piping/stitching on the trim.
Old 02-28-20, 07:58 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
You don't like plaid? That's one of the GTI's trademarks....along with red-piping/stitching on the trim.
Not everyone likes plaid, trademark or not.

Quick Reply: 2021 vw gti