Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Negotiating price on a custom order?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-20, 03:35 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexxxxy
RX350L. Atomic Silver. With a 2nd row bench seat.
The RX-L should be available with that spec, especially for a dealer in cali. More likely then not, the dealership is politely trying to say we dont want your business if its not on the lot cause were nearing end of Q1.

Lexus dealers really push back on the idea of anything but the standard colors, and region specific options. I`d say unless the dealer brings something really valuable to the table, email a bunch of others with your exact build and let them know you`d like Invoice+500- any discounts at the time of delivery. I can guarantee at least one solid deal out of that. Most dealers are discounting 15% on RXs, so the above is quite favorable to them. You can also do a dealer allocation swap for a unit scheduled for production or do a straight dealer trade if the vehicle is at port or on another dealer lot. I`d be wary on the dealer lot trades, it gets messy quite frequently and usually better for you to deal with them directly. In the messy sense, you have to worry about markups, delivery charges or delivery methods (Driven, transport etc).

GL
Old 03-02-20, 03:58 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,981 Posts

Only problem in my experience about shopping out of state is they arent as willing to negotiate as your local dealer who can earn your service business.

In the case of my car I have now. I tried to negotiate a deal for it directly and the deal through my local dealer for the same car was MUCH better.
Old 03-02-20, 04:47 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
the idea is why would they give you a discount on a non existent car vs a real car thats on the lot costing hte dealer money everyday
Because luxury shoppers demand customization not off the lot cars.
BMW and Porsche are the best at this plus you can do European and/or Performance Center (us) delivery for both.

Each dealer has monthly allocations - to them it shouldn’t matter picking options themselves or for client giving them deposit. Each of my BMWs was custom ordered and one of main reasons i left Lexus back in the day.
Old 03-02-20, 11:33 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 171 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexxxxy
RX350L. Atomic Silver. With a 2nd row bench seat.
I can almost guarantee Longo Lexus in El Monte will have that combo. Your dealer, or any Lexus dealer in CA can trade. Or maybe a possible trip down to SoCal and have a nice time of it.

Old 03-03-20, 05:50 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
Because luxury shoppers demand customization not off the lot cars.
BMW and Porsche are the best at this plus you can do European and/or Performance Center (us) delivery for both.
yea and you definitely pay for it
Old 03-03-20, 05:16 PM
Lexxxxy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
I can almost guarantee Longo Lexus in El Monte will have that combo. Your dealer, or any Lexus dealer in CA can trade. Or maybe a possible trip down to SoCal and have a nice time of it.
Thanks for the intell!
Old 03-03-20, 05:18 PM
Lexxxxy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by coolsaber
The RX-L should be available with that spec, especially for a dealer in cali. More likely then not, the dealership is politely trying to say we dont want your business if its not on the lot cause were nearing end of Q1.

Lexus dealers really push back on the idea of anything but the standard colors, and region specific options. I`d say unless the dealer brings something really valuable to the table, email a bunch of others with your exact build and let them know you`d like Invoice+500- any discounts at the time of delivery. I can guarantee at least one solid deal out of that. Most dealers are discounting 15% on RXs, so the above is quite favorable to them. You can also do a dealer allocation swap for a unit scheduled for production or do a straight dealer trade if the vehicle is at port or on another dealer lot. I`d be wary on the dealer lot trades, it gets messy quite frequently and usually better for you to deal with them directly. In the messy sense, you have to worry about markups, delivery charges or delivery methods (Driven, transport etc).

GL
Exactly so. There's also a cost associated with moving the iron between here and there.
Old 03-04-20, 09:19 PM
azmojo
Instructor

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts

I have custom ordered 3 Lexus, 2 from the factory, one they got from another dealer. Here's how it went:
Bell Lexus (Phoenix). I was told what you were told and this was for the 2014 IS350 when the 3G first came out. Custom factory order. I paid full MSRP and pretty much got the story you did. Phoenix dealers don't deal much.
Lexus Santa Monica. Another factory order, I recall that I was able to get it for close to invoice.
Lexus Santa Monica. This time they got a car from another dealer. This was for a 2017 IS350, and they were probably $1k or more under invoice. But they changed the deal at the last minute and I cancelled.

After I cancelled that last deal I ended up buying from Lexus Serramonte. They made me a great deal. I did ask fairly recently about a custom order and I think I had a verbal agreement for invoice pricing. They are great to deal with. PM me if you want my salesman's name.

FYI, All of the CA cars I shipped to my home in Phoenix. Some dealers were OK with out of state deals, others were not.
Old 03-05-20, 07:37 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

Asking on a forum will not do you any good. You simply just have to go and do it.
Old 03-05-20, 09:59 AM
Lexxxxy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by azmojo
I have custom ordered 3 Lexus, 2 from the factory, one they got from another dealer. Here's how it went:
Bell Lexus (Phoenix). I was told what you were told and this was for the 2014 IS350 when the 3G first came out. Custom factory order. I paid full MSRP and pretty much got the story you did. Phoenix dealers don't deal much.
Lexus Santa Monica. Another factory order, I recall that I was able to get it for close to invoice.
Lexus Santa Monica. This time they got a car from another dealer. This was for a 2017 IS350, and they were probably $1k or more under invoice. But they changed the deal at the last minute and I cancelled.

After I cancelled that last deal I ended up buying from Lexus Serramonte. They made me a great deal. I did ask fairly recently about a custom order and I think I had a verbal agreement for invoice pricing. They are great to deal with. PM me if you want my salesman's name.

FYI, All of the CA cars I shipped to my home in Phoenix. Some dealers were OK with out of state deals, others were not.
Thanks! Great information. Much appreciated.