Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio GTA

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-20, 04:22 PM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Received 126 Likes on 84 Posts
Default Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio GTA

Alfa Romeo will celebrate 110 years of building some of the world's most emotional driving machines with a brand-new Giulia Quadrifoglio GTA. GTA, which stands for "Gran Turismo Alleggerita," is a throwback to the 1965 Giulia Sprint GT, which first got the treatment. The new GTA and GTAm will elevate the Giulia's already driver-friendly formula to a whole new level.

If the plain-Jane Giulia Quadrifoglio is a BMW M3 or Mercedes-AMG C63 competitor, the GTA is your Competition or "S" variant, respectively. It boasts more power, less weight, enhanced aero, a revised suspension, and a reworked chassis and interior designed to keep the driver in place and focused on one task and one task alone: driving fast.

The wick on the GTA's 2.9-liter twin-turbocharged V6 has been turned up a bit, resulting in a new peak rating of 540 horsepower (up 30 from the base car). To reduce weight, Alfa replaced a host of exterior panels with carbon fiber equivalents. The carbon treatment extends to some other components, such as a the drive shaft. Alfa says the net reduction works out to 220 pounds.

Outside, the aero has been completely revised with technical know-how provided by Sauber Engineering (of F1 renown). It also boasts 20-inch center-locking wheels and a titanium exhaust system. Alfa replaced many of the suspension bushings, the shocks and the springs with performance-friendly hardware.

The GTA pushes the formula even farther. We hesitate to compare a sport sedan to a GT Coupe, but the relationship between GTA and GTAm is quite similar to that between the Porsche 911 GT3 and GT3 RS. Both are fundamentally the same car, but the latter compromises a great deal more of its daily drivability for the sake of improving its on-track feel and performance.

With the GTAm, this included a set of carbon-backed front bucket seats with six-point harnesses, Lexan window inserts for the side and rear windows, and a rear seat delete. In place of the rear bench, you get a harness bar attached to a structural roll hoop, plus a handy little cubby for storing your custom Bell helmet in Alfa's GTA livery (which comes with the car, as well as an Alpinestars race suit, gloves and shoes, and a personalized Goodwool car cover). Checking in at just 3,350 pounds, the GTAm boasts a power-to-weight ratio of 6.2 pounds per horsepower, which Alfa says is the best in the class, enabling a 0-60 run in just 3.6 seconds.

The GTAm also receives further aero enhancements for improved track performance. The front splitter and carbon rear wing have both been optimized for downforce. Happily, the GTAm remains entirely street-legal.

Production of the GTA variants will be limited to just 500 units, "all numbered and certified and ready to take up their place alongside their 1965 forerunner as one of the most sought-after collector’s items," said Alfa's announcement.
Source
Old 03-02-20, 04:31 PM
EXE46
Lead Lap

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Impressive! I like this car, would take over an M3C any day.
Old 03-02-20, 06:23 PM
AZFTW
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Minor complaint but I don't care for the wing at all...I know it's functional but it doesn't look right
Old 03-02-20, 06:45 PM
stasek
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

Beautiful cars.... but the 30k service (spark plugs, belts, fluids, etc) at the dealership costs $2k 😨. I’m sure an Indy can do it for probably half that, but still - spark plugs at 30k miles????
Old 03-02-20, 07:09 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

That’s a nice car
Old 03-02-20, 07:20 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by stasek
Beautiful cars.... but the 30k service (spark plugs, belts, fluids, etc) at the dealership costs $2k 😨. I’m sure an Indy can do it for probably half that, but still - spark plugs at 30k miles????
Engine designed by Ferrari...
Old 03-02-20, 08:28 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

Interesting stuff - great to see more raw sport sedans.
With the new M3 having that ugly grill, someone could steal lots of sales.
Old 03-02-20, 09:10 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

A lot of cars back in the days required 30k spark plug service, and many BMWs still do. They use copper plugs, which are apparently better for performance but don't last as long.
Old 03-03-20, 01:24 PM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Great proportions. Nice to see the Italians throw their hat in the ring
Old 03-04-20, 09:30 AM
Kense
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If you're spending $90,000 on a car maintenance costs shouldn't be your concern. Financially it's a huge waste of money either way unless you're salary is over 400K per year, you shouldn't be buying an $90,000 dollar car.
Old 03-04-20, 10:09 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Car and Driver did a long term test on a Quadrifoglio and they had reliability issues with it. Here is their summary. Hopefully AR can get a handle on things.

"We desperately hoped for this enthralling Italian sedan to succeed, but we were consistently disappointed by its unforgivable reliability issues."
Old 03-04-20, 04:00 PM
Johnny Mayday
CL Town Crier

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

Wicked machine for sure. I do wonder about how long Alfa is for the United States... I've only see a handful of Giulias on the road in Seattle, and maybe one of them was a Quad. Given the deservedly dismal rep for reliability, only a brave few appear to be taking the plunge. Still, I'd love to have one of these babies. Would daily it if I never had to worry about repair bills, ha!
Old 03-04-20, 04:52 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Is there a BMW iDrive dial I see there?
Old 03-04-20, 05:00 PM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Is there a BMW iDrive dial I see there?
No this is not BMW's iDrive. Simply a rotary **** for infotainment. Audi, BMW, Mazda etc.. all use similar rotary style *****, but BMW's is far and away the best to use.
Old 03-04-20, 05:24 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
No this is not BMW's iDrive. Simply a rotary **** for infotainment. Audi, BMW, Mazda etc.. all use similar rotary style *****, but BMW's is far and away the best to use.
Thanks Hoovey. Looks like the BMW iDrive

Quick Reply: Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio GTA