Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Hyundai Prophecy concept

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-20, 09:42 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts
Default Hyundai Prophecy concept

Hyundai says the Prophecy concept illustrates the ultimate automotive form

The driver steers using a pair of pivoting joysticks

Hyundai is on a quest to extract complexity from its design department in order to make its cars purer and more minimalist. It introduced a concept named Prophecy to illustrate the direction it will take future electric models in.

The company calls its next design language Optimistic Futurism, and it explained its aim is to "forge an emotional connection between humans and automobiles." We could easily argue this link was established over 100 years ago, but that's not the purpose of this piece. Back to the road: the Prophecy stands out as a swoopy, low-slung sedan that breaks all ties with current members of the Hyundai range. Its low, grille-less front end wears pixel-like headlights reminiscent of the 45 concept unveiled in 2019, and its roof line is steep enough to earn the fastback label. It flows into a rear end characterized by broad shoulders, a spoiler, and a wide panel made up of LEDs.

Are we the only ones detecting a little bit of Porsche DNA in this design? Hyundai begs to differ; it instead bragged its designers have achieved nothing less than the ultimate automotive form. It likened it to a perfectly weathered pebble, and it pointed out the propeller-shaped wheels direct air down the side of the body like water over a stone. The Prophecy's dimensions haven't been released yet, but it looks like a reasonably big sedan.

Similarly, Hyundai hasn't released technical specifications. All we know about the concept's drivetrain is that it's entirely electric, and that its battery pack is housed under the passenger compartment. Ditching gasoline allowed designers to give the Prophecy a surprisingly spacious interior with four seats, a color screen that occupies most of the real estate under the windshield, and a pair of pivoting joysticks that replace the steering wheel.
Source
Old 03-03-20, 09:46 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,271 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Looks really cool, but reminds me of my Logitech MX mouse though
Old 03-04-20, 06:02 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I miss concept cars like this. I feel like the only concept cars now are the thinly veiled production cars.
Old 03-04-20, 09:05 AM
Hoovey689

I like the overall shape. The joystick thing is interesting as one is mounted on the door
Old 03-04-20, 06:12 PM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am looking forward to seeing where Hyundai/Kia/Genesis goes from here.
Old 04-06-20, 10:15 AM
Hoovey689

Default Hyundai Prophecy EV Concept is a rolling air purifier piloted by joystick

New details, photos, videos from designer Luc Donkerwolke

Early last month, Hyundai released the joystick-controlled Prophecy EV Concept, labeled it the "ultimate automotive form," and kind of left it at that. A full gallery was released, inside and out, but any depth of knowledge or details about the vehicle were left out. It seems Hyundai was simply manufacturing a bit of mystery and drama, as a new batch of photos, video, and information has just emerged.

Hyundai has shown two extremely different concept vehicles in the past two years in the 45 hatchback and Prophecy four-door coupe. Stylistic pieces of the 45's design have already shown up in the new Hyundai Elantra, and the Prophecy is also said to preview design and technology that will make it into future Hyundais.

The 45 and the Prophecy are the first two Hyundais to ride on top of a new dedicated electric vehicle platform that Hyundai calls the Electric Global Modular Platform, or E-GMP. Although no drivetrain, battery, or charging specifics were mentioned, it is noted that the compact design of the electric platform allowed for the Prophecy's swooping exterior shape and spacious interior. The "Sensuous Sportiness" design language is inspired by cars from the '20s and '30s and is meant to contrast with the aerodynamic propeller wheels and pixelated front and rear lights that represent the current digital age.

Inside, Hyundai took a page from '70s Saab and integrated joysticks as the method of control rather than a steering wheel. The right-hand joystick is built into the center console and the left-hand stick is attached to the door. Hyundai calls this the Intuitive Human Interface and says it frees up space on the dashboard and allows for a more comfortable seating position. About 90 percent of the vehicle's interior controls can be handled with the joysticks, so distractions are minimized.

Further focus on driver comfort brought about the idea of the Smart Posture Care System (SPCS). While manual adjustments are still an option, the SPCS will adjust automatically based on the individual's inputted information such as height, seated height, and weight. The SPCS, which Hyundai says is based on "medically verified information," will adjust the seat, the mirrors, and the head-up display.

When the car is not driving, the large interior screens can shift shape to create an entertainment space. Relax Mode reclines the seats and swivels the dashboard upward for a comfortable viewing position.

Hyundai envisions a car like the Prophecy would not only coddle its occupants but also improve the environment around it. The Prophecy acts as an air filtration system with a fine dust sensor and will automatically circulate fresh air inside and spit clean air outside, even when the vehicle is parked.

Watch Hyundai Motor Group Chief Design Officer Luc Donckerwolke discuss the design themes and futuristic technology in the two exterior and interior walkarounds

Source
Old 04-06-20, 05:07 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
reminds me of my Logitech MX mouse though
Agree with Dave about the mouse-similarity (and also to my Insignia Mouse), but the car's rear-end and spoiler also has some strong Porsche-influence.

I'm so used to a traditional steering-wheel, though, (and to a control-yoke in aircraft) that I don't think I could get used to a Drive-by Wire joystick, or to the Fly-by-Wire joysticks in some aircraft. My Lacrosse has GM's Shift-by-Wire joystick, and it's annoying enough....one of the car's few real faults.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-06-20 at 05:13 PM.