Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Battle betwen generations Lexus LS

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-20, 12:39 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,718 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
so based on your post i tried to watch the video, but had to skip big chunks as the reviewer is so bad. "you know what i'm saying
Oh yeah, he’s not so polished lol. I fast forwarded a lot.
Old 03-08-20, 12:41 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Prestige is not defined by sales numbers....
No, but prestige drives sales, especially in this segment.

I think Lexus hurt the prestige of the LS in general by letting it get so stale.
Old 03-08-20, 12:53 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

There are more entries now in the North American full size luxury sedan/car segment...Tesla S is the clear leader, Porsche Panamera all fighting for the same dollar..they did not exist at that time...but it is also cross-over market....I think you are unsure how to define prestige....the lower sales figures for the LS does not mean it is less prestigious...things are just different now.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 03-08-20 at 12:59 PM.
Old 03-08-20, 01:44 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I’ve owned 4 of these new, I think I have a pretty good handle on how they’re perceived by the public. My point was, it if were “more prestigious than any LS before it” as you said, it would sell better than it does relative to its peers.

No denying the car is prestigious, it’s just not anymore so than the LS has ever been.
Old 03-08-20, 01:49 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Its more prestigious today. It is just different than it used to be.
Old 03-08-20, 01:53 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

How is it more prestigious today?
Old 03-08-20, 01:56 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

There are more entries now in the North American full size luxury sedan/car segment...Tesla S is the clear leader, Porsche Panamera all fighting for the same dollar..they did not exist at that time...but it is also cross-over market....
agreed.

even cars like the s-class have dropped by half since 2014. but 2019 sales were a bit better than 2009 (right after the huge crash). stats here: https://carsalesbase.com/us-car-sale...-benz-s-class/

I think you are unsure how to define prestige....the lower sales figures for the LS does not mean it is less prestigious...things are just different now.
agreed. but the problem for the ls is defining what it does better than ANY competitor right now. from its first gen to the LS430, the LS was considered to be supremely comfortable, roomy, reliable, AND user-friendly. mercedes in contrast had some pretty awful controls back then. today, the LS has the bad controls and Mercedes is highly regarded. the LS ride quality used to be considered world class or top of class, but now mercedes leads, and bmw is now highly regarded too.
Old 03-08-20, 01:59 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Far more rare than it ever used to be. The styling means something more than it ever did. The performance is better. Made for 75 world markets. When you see the LS500, you no longer think value or Toyota, you see high-end Japanese luxury.
Old 03-08-20, 02:05 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Far more rare than it ever used to be. The styling means something more than it ever did. The performance is better. Made for 75 world markets. When you see the LS500, you no longer think value or Toyota, you see high-end Japanese luxury.
Its rarer than it used to be because it sells so poorly compared with previous generations.

As for styling, that’s subjective. I agree the car is good looking but to me it doesn’t look like a flagship car any longer. Performance is “better” but no V8 which is a huge negative in this class.

It doesn’t look like or feel like a peer to others in the segment to me anymore, where the previous generations always did.

It also consistently gets torn up in reviews.

all of these things don’t equal more prestige.
Old 03-08-20, 02:07 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

Far more rare than it ever used to be.
you're saying the LS500 is more prestigious because it's rarer?

The styling means something more than it ever did.
only if the function is great too.

When you see the LS500, you no longer think value or Toyota, you see high-end Japanese luxury.
well first i never see them. i've only seen one in person. and it's not like my town is poor. tons of mercedes, range rovers, bmws, cadillacs, etc.
second, we may see high-end japanese luxury since it's the ONLY high-end japanese luxury sedan. it's certainly not 'value' because an s-class isn't much more, as we've discussed in the other thread and often offers better deals/rates.
Old 03-08-20, 02:14 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

If the new LS500 was not more prestigious...I don't think you would all would be debating it...I have said my point...have a good night
Old 03-08-20, 02:15 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

That makes zero sense lol. You’re the one who made the statement not either of us.
Old 03-08-20, 02:59 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 457 Likes on 302 Posts

Poor selling 5LS has two issues:

(1) There is the arguable issue of 5LS rear 3/4 view styling, with the interior a trifle bland compared to S Class.

(2) Then there is the issue of being a sporting luxury intermediate between pure luxury sedans like S Class & 7 Series vs pure sports sedans like a Porsche Panamera/Maserati Quattroporte/Benz AMG GT4/BMW 8 Series - 4 Door Gran Coupes.

Because a sporting luxury intermediate lacks the spaciousness, ride and refinement of the genuine full size luxury sedan bodystyle, it is difficult for 5LS to sell in large volumes unlike the S Class or previous generations of Lexus LS's.
Old 03-08-20, 03:00 PM
signdetres
Racer

Received 886 Likes on 508 Posts

Here in my area, you regularly see all sorts of high-end luxury cars. That said, I hardly ever see the new LS. It's a very rare sight. But so to is the 7-Series & A8, though it's hard to go a day without seeing at least a few S-Classes. I think in this segment, the S-Class is just the buyers' (the full-size sedan buyers who are left) default choice because it has the long-standing reputation for being the ultimate status/success symbol that the others don't quite carry. I've seen more Maybach S-Classes than I've seen LS/7/A8/etc.

That said, I do agree with @LexsCTJill that the new LS is more prestigious than the LS' that came before it* and a large part is due to the design but also the sheer size and proportions. In person, the few times I've seen the 5LS driving by, it's hard to miss, especially at night with those stunning headlights. But what you notice compared to all the cars around it is how very long, very sleek, & very wide it is. It has presence that the previous generation cars didn't quite have as they were more subdued and blended in a bit more, but I don't think they were trying to stand out as much as the current car is trying to.

*But to clarify this point, I think if you had each generation of LS side-by-side in front of a group of people who knew nothing about cars and had no idea what they were looking at, they'd agree that each generation got nicer/more luxurious/etc. but the biggest jump would be the 4LS to 5LS. Relatively speaking, just looking at what is in front of you but ignoring what it "is," the 5LS is bolder, flashier, more exciting, more luxurious, expensive looking, etc.

However, I do not think the name "Lexus LS" carries any more weight or prestige than it once did and I don't think the 5LS did anything to change that.

I think in this segment, it's more about what "is" rather than the actual car itself. In this segment, the S-Class just "is" the leader. Mercedes could almost do whatever they wanted with the next-gen car and people would still flock to it because it "is" an S-Class.
Old 03-08-20, 03:06 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by signdetres
Here in my area, you regularly see all sorts of high-end luxury cars. That said, I hardly ever see the new LS. It's a very rare sight. But so to is the 7-Series & A8, though it's hard to go a day without seeing at least a few S-Classes. I think in this segment, the S-Class is just the buyers' (the full-size sedan buyers who are left) default choice because it has the long-standing reputation for being the ultimate status/success symbol that the others don't quite carry. I've seen more Maybach S-Classes than I've seen LS/7/A8/etc.

That said, I do agree with @LexsCTJill that the new LS is more prestigious than the LS' that came before it* and a large part is due to the design but also the sheer size and proportions. In person, the few times I've seen the 5LS driving by, it's hard to miss, especially at night with those stunning headlights. But what you notice compared to all the cars around it is how very long, very sleek, & very wide it is. It has presence that the previous generation cars didn't quite have as they were more subdued and blended in a bit more, but I don't think they were trying to stand out as much as the current car is trying to.

*But to clarify this point, I think if you had each generation of LS side-by-side in front of a group of people who knew nothing about cars and had no idea what they were looking at, they'd agree that each generation got nicer/more luxurious/etc. but the biggest jump would be the 4LS to 5LS. Relatively speaking, just looking at what is in front of you but ignoring what it "is," the 5LS is bolder, flashier, more exciting, more luxurious, expensive looking, etc.

However, I do not think the name "Lexus LS" carries any more weight or prestige than it once did and I don't think the 5LS did anything to change that.

I think in this segment, it's more about what "is" rather than the actual car itself. In this segment, the S-Class just "is" the leader. Mercedes could almost do whatever they wanted with the next-gen car and people would still flock to it because it "is" an S-Class.
Thanks so much for the call out. Appreciate that someone can see my point of view.

Quick Reply: Battle betwen generations Lexus LS