Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Next time may be a little different.

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-20, 12:13 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
At most legal speeds in the U.S., and/or under most driving conditions, most people probably won't really notice the difference between FWD an RWD handling unless they really push it. RWD superiority is most noticeable under track conditions, which the average driver doesn't do.
Mike, its not so much about track driving at the limit, most people actually would do better in a FWD car on the track. But under normal driving, RWD cars still provide certain sensations that FWD cars just can't do.
Old 03-06-20, 01:21 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Mike, its not so much about track driving at the limit, most people actually would do better in a FWD car on the track. But under normal driving, RWD cars still provide certain sensations that FWD cars just can't do.
Totally agree. Its the feeling of balance in the cornering vs. the pushing and off setting feel of heavy FWD vehicles. Drive an X5 and RX back to back and even the AWD versions of those cars, the RWD chassis just feels more engaging. The SQ5 is also FWD based but the quattro version with the torsion AWD system is confidence inspiring.
Old 03-06-20, 02:06 PM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Received 126 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
Totally agree. Its the feeling of balance in the cornering vs. the pushing and off setting feel of heavy FWD vehicles. Drive an X5 and RX back to back and even the AWD versions of those cars, the RWD chassis just feels more engaging. The SQ5 is also FWD based but the quattro version with the torsion AWD system is confidence inspiring.
Lexus has the technology for torque vectoring. Two years ago they debuted Dynamic Torque Vectoring AWD (distributes torque to the left and right rear wheels) and E-Four. The problem is they have barely employed it on their vehicles as of yet and have not taken advantage of a snazzy name like Quattro, SH-AWD, xDrive, 4Matic, 4Motion, Symmetrical AWD etc. which helps sell.
Old 03-06-20, 02:23 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
The system in the X5 is very RWD biased, and in the latest X5/X6M you can turn on RWD mode.
Old 03-06-20, 02:58 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 70 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Lexus has the technology for torque vectoring. Two years ago they debuted Dynamic Torque Vectoring AWD (distributes torque to the left and right rear wheels) and E-Four. The problem is they have barely employed it on their vehicles as of yet and have not taken advantage of a snazzy name like Quattro, SH-AWD, xDrive, 4Matic, 4Motion, Symmetrical AWD etc. which helps sell.
The outgoing awd on their Lexus cars and GX and LX is a very good system. I’d argue it is superior. The Torsen system NEVER turns off and can sense slip before slip occurs, can move traction to either wheel at F or R but always is splitting at the Center. People don’t realize what it is. Sad.

The Torsen set up is proactive. It’s also all mechanical.

Toyota also has a torque vectoring diff in their RWD F cars.
Old 03-06-20, 03:07 PM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
The outgoing awd on their Lexus cars and GX and LX is a very good system. I’d argue it is superior. The Torsen system NEVER turns off and can sense slip before slip occurs, can move traction to either wheel at F or R but always is splitting at the Center. People don’t realize what it is. Sad.

The Torsen set up is proactive. It’s also all mechanical.

Toyota also has a torque vectoring diff in their RWD F cars.
Who said outgoing? This is for vehicles like the RX and IS. And E-Four for the UX etc..
Old 03-06-20, 03:11 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Who said outgoing? This is for vehicles like the RX and IS. And E-Four for the UX etc..
I don’t think they will keep the Torsen awd for the cars in the future. That is what I mean. I think they will go to this new system. You said Quattro, 4Matic etc which is used on their sedans and never mentioned they have something very good as it is. So if you are just referring to RX or UX all good. IS has a Torsen set up.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 03-06-20 at 03:17 PM.
Old 03-06-20, 03:17 PM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

I don’t think they will keep the Torsen awd for the cars in the future. That is what I mean. I think they will go to this new system.
We will see in 2-3 years when the next GX and LX are expected. So long as they maintain the billygoat capabilities with locking diffs, transfer cases I don't see an issue.
Old 03-06-20, 03:21 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

We will see in 2-3 years when the next GX and LX are expected. So long as they maintain the billygoat capabilities with locking diffs, transfer cases I don't see an issue.
Billy goat. Lol. I
Old 03-06-20, 03:22 PM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

I don’t think they will keep the Torsen awd for the cars in the future. That is what I mean. I think they will go to this new system. You said Quattro, 4Matic etc which is used on their sedans and never mentioned they have something very good as it is. So if you are just referring to RX or UX all good. IS has a Torsen set up.
You missed my point on that one. Not all of the AWD systems I mentioned are equal, but they all share one thing in common: they have a name. With Lexus there is no branding with their old or new setup which is a mistake IMO. Names sell. I think they are missing an opportunity if they don't name their new system.
Old 03-06-20, 03:26 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

You missed my point on that one. Not all of the AWD systems I mentioned are equal, but they all share one thing in common: they have a name. With Lexus there is no branding with their old or new setup which is a mistake IMO. Names sell. I think they are missing an opportunity if they don't name their new system.
I kinda disagree. Toyota markets their Lexus body on frame 4WD as “full time 4WD”. For the suvs. The cars are just awd but they make sure Torsen is talked about in their literature. Upcoming Avalon and Camry are just “awd” and they made special emphasis to make sure people know it’s called just awd.

Full time 4WD has a lot of marketing power to those who understand and value it. Mercedes does not use 4Matic for their G wagon, they go with four wheel drive.

Toyota does market their awd in the RAV as “on demand” I think. And there is E-awd I think for the hybrid.

Rumor is 4active might be their naming structure.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 03-06-20 at 03:32 PM.
Old 03-06-20, 03:30 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,772 Likes on 1,979 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
You and I were raised (and learned to drive) in a clearly different environment, where people actually had to do just that.......DRIVE. We didn't have electronic safety-nannies doing everything for us, and/or didn't have to depend on video-screens. Today's younger drivers grew up in a completely different environment, with the whole world literally in their hands, on a Smart-Phone screen, and expect more or less the same thing in their vehicles.
I think the important thing to note from the quote above is that...times change and generations come from different experiences. The experiences of different generations aren't "right" or "wrong", they just "are". Younger adults today come from a different perspective, and have different wants and expectations out of their products. Tech is very important to them, and thus you see manufacturers bringing that tech into the car because thats what the next wave of buyers want.

Theres a tendency in life and certainly on this forum to look down at younger generations and belittle what their frame of reference is and imply that their preferences are somehow wrong because you had a different life experience than they did. Well, thats what older generations thought of your generation, and what older generations than that thought of them.

We can make fun of the interior of a Tesla Model 3, but in reality that vehicle is a tremendous success. They are everywhere and the people that have them love them. So, who are we to say that way of designing an interior is wrong?
Old 03-06-20, 03:39 PM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

I kinda disagree. Toyota markets their Lexus body on frame 4WD as “full time 4WD”. For the suvs. The cars are just awd but they make sure Torsen is talked about in their literature. Upcoming Avalon and Camry are just “awd” and they made special emphasis to make sure people know it’s called just awd.

Full time 4WD has a lot of marketing power to those who understand and value it. Mercedes does not use 4Matic for their G wagon, they go with four wheel drive.

Toyota does market their awd in the RAV as “on demand” I think. And there is E-awd I think for the hybrid.

Rumor is 4active might be their naming structure.
I'm not so much worried about niche vehicles like the GX and LX which have loyal followings. EVERYONE knows they are 4WD. Same would go for the G-Wagen, it was developed for the German army, so obviously it's capable.

Quattro has so much value. Acura made the mistake of dropping SH-AWD from the second generation RDX, but rectified that by adding it back for the 3rd generation

Rumor is 4Active is the name of this upcoming car based on the FT-4X concept. The 4Runner's little brother

Old 03-06-20, 03:48 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

I'm not so much worried about niche vehicles like the GX and LX which have loyal followings. EVERYONE knows they are 4WD. Same would go for the G-Wagen, it was developed for the German army, so obviously it's capable.

Quattro has so much value. Acura made the mistake of dropping SH-AWD from the second generation RDX, but rectified that by adding it back for the 3rd generation

Rumor is 4Active is the name of this upcoming car based on the FT-4X concept. The 4Runner's little brother

Ok. So did you ever consider that when they introduced the Lexus fans to cars that had awd in 06 or whenever it was , the simple “awd” naming was made to simplify and make fully aware that anyone travelling behind a IS250awd that Lexus now has awd. Sometimes the best marketing it that of something simple. The new Avalon and Camry will denote simply awd simply to not cause any confusion. Otherwise Avalon with TVAawd just makes no sense to the average person.

Lexus was quite brilliant in the mid 90s with LX and RX where the X was for 4WD.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 03-06-20 at 03:58 PM.
Old 03-06-20, 03:53 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Good points. Audi has gotten unbelievable mileage out of the Quattro designation. It's synonymous with the entire brand.

Quick Reply: Next time may be a little different.