Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Next time may be a little different.

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-20, 03:58 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
We can make fun of the interior of a Tesla Model 3, but in reality that vehicle is a tremendous success. They are everywhere and the people that have them love them. So, who are we to say that way of designing an interior is wrong?

Of course the Model 3 is a success...I never said otherwise. That's obvious just from the increasing numbers of them we see here in this area, every day. Right now, it's arguably the fastest-growing sedan on the market.....comparable to what we saw with the Ford Taurus and Toyota Camry in the late 1980s (the Honda Accord started its explosive growth in the late 1970s).

But its success doesn't diminish or change the fact that its dash is one of the most radical ones on the marketplace. When I did my test-drive several months ago, a Tesla Rep had to essentially walk me through each step and show me where everything was. It was almost like my first flight-instruction in a Cessna 172, where you start going down a pre-flight checklist LOL.
Old 03-06-20, 04:03 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 70 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Good points. Audi has gotten unbelievable mileage out of the Quattro designation. It's synonymous with the entire brand.
Audi is synonymous with Quattro. Audi is not know for having non awd (even if they do) It’s different for Lexus. The absence of a name is done on purpose IMO. Same way Lexus LX does not call their V8 an iForce like they do in their Sequoia. The X in RX or LX denotes 4WD.
Old 03-06-20, 04:18 PM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Received 126 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Ok. So did you ever consider that when they introduced the Lexus fans to cars that had awd in 06 or whenever it was , the simple “awd” naming was made to simplify and make fully aware that anyone travelling behind a IS250awd that Lexus now has awd. Sometimes the best marketing it that of something simple. The new Avalon and Camry will denote simply awd simply to not cause any confusion. Otherwise Avalon with TVAawd just makes no sense to the average person.

Lexus was quite brilliant in the mid 90s with LX and RX where the X was for 4WD.
That's one way. But in the end it's too generic. BMW 'xDrive' is growing with evermore popularity. And as LexBob pointed out, Audi has gotten 'unbelievable mileage' out of Quattro. Quattro has become so well known now that it evokes emotional response. Lexus as always will march to the beat of their own drum. That doesn't change how I feel about awd branding importance.

I'll give Lexus a freebie. Call your AWD system LexTrac
Old 03-06-20, 04:26 PM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Audi is synonymous with Quattro. Audi is not know for having non awd (even if they do) It’s different for Lexus. The absence of a name is done on purpose IMO. Same way Lexus LX does not call their V8 an iForce like they do in their Sequoia. The X in RX or LX denotes 4WD.
The first letter indicates status in the model range (I, E, G, L, R, etc..) and the second letter refers to car body style/type. The 'S' refers to Sedan or Sport and The 'X' refers to LUV (Luxury Utility Vehicle) or SUV. The X cannot denote 4WD because the NX and RX and UX do not have 4WD.
Old 03-06-20, 04:27 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Lexus has the technology for torque vectoring.
Agree, but torque-vectoring is a whole different ball-game. It is an attempt to combine the best effects of both FWD and RWD. And that technology goes back before Lexus. AMC invented the whole idea of car-based AWD, and Subaru and Audi essentially perfected the torque-management part of it.
Old 03-06-20, 04:33 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

The first letter indicates status in the model range (I, E, G, L, R, etc..) and the second letter refers to car body style/type. The 'S' refers to Sedan or Sport and The 'X' refers to LUV (Luxury Utility Vehicle) or SUV. The X cannot denote 4WD because the NX and RX and UX do not have 4WD.
But it DID. It always has. The LX was the first. Always was meant 4WD at inception. I think the first RX was 4WD only at first as well.

It’s like 4Runner, even though there is a 2WD version, most know the 4 as 4X4.
Old 03-06-20, 04:36 PM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Agree, but torque-vectoring is a whole different ball-game. It is an attempt to combine the best effects of both FWD and RWD. And that technology goes back before Lexus. AMC invented the whole idea of car-based AWD, and Subaru and Audi essentially perfected the torque-management part of it.
What's the history lesson have to do with what I said? EZZ brought up that even though the SQ5 is FWD based, it's AWD allows more confidence than say the RX with it's conventional AWD. I merely point out that Lexus has the technology (graphics above), they just haven't used it yet

Drive an X5 and RX back to back and even the AWD versions of those cars, the RWD chassis just feels more engaging. The SQ5 is also FWD based but the quattro version with the torsion AWD system is confidence inspiring.
Old 03-06-20, 04:39 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

That's one way. But in the end it's too generic. BMW 'xDrive' is growing with evermore popularity. And as LexBob pointed out, Audi has gotten 'unbelievable mileage' out of Quattro. Quattro has become so well known now that it evokes emotional response. Lexus as always will march to the beat of their own drum. That doesn't change how I feel about awd branding importance.

I'll give Lexus a freebie. Call your AWD system LexTrac
I think there is room for name but no exactly necessary. Lexus doesn’t market LS500 as Lexus500t. But they do market the LS500 with an h. Lexus body on frame SUVs only come one way. Maybe their cars can benefit, I dunno. I don’t care what Audi does

Old 03-06-20, 04:41 PM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

But it DID. It always has. The LX was the first. Always was meant 4WD at inception. I think the first RX was 4WD only at first as well.

It’s like 4Runner, even though there is a 2WD version, most know the 4 as 4X4.
You can talk to any Lexus exec and they will tell you any Lexus vehicle with X denotes the vehicle is a LUV/SUV/CUV. So what? Inception is long and gone. Lexus has five utility vehicles that vary from 4WD, AWD, FWD, Hybrid AWD. X is a body type or class now within Lexus.
Old 03-06-20, 04:45 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Wrong thread.
Old 03-06-20, 04:45 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

You can talk to any Lexus exec and they will tell you any Lexus vehicle with X denotes the vehicle is a LUV/SUV/CUV. So what? Inception is long and gone. Lexus has five utility vehicles that vary from 4WD, AWD, FWD, Hybrid AWD. X is a body type or class now within Lexus.
I agree that today the X stands for crossover or SUV. It’s sort of self explanatory that they will have 4WD in most applications. I don’t think RX with LexDrive on the back is going to make any difference.

RX stands for Radiant Crossover in some Lexus markets lol.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 03-06-20 at 04:51 PM.
Old 03-06-20, 04:48 PM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Alright we'll leave it at that.

GL with your next car Marshall
Old 03-06-20, 06:30 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

GL with your next car Marshall

Thanks. Still a little early for any serious shopping. I just did this this thread to explain why I had taken some of the earlier positions I had...which, admittedly, are more conservative than the majority of Car Chat. The world doesn't stop for any of us, though, and tomorrow's choices are going to be tomorrow's choices....we simply have to make the best of it.

I know you are a Ford fan...if they can get their QC act together and get the introductions right, they are really doing some interesting stuff.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-06-20 at 06:34 PM.
Old 03-06-20, 06:38 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,772 Likes on 1,979 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
But its success doesn't diminish or change the fact that its dash is one of the most radical ones on the marketplace. When I did my test-drive several months ago, a Tesla Rep had to essentially walk me through each step and show me where everything was. It was almost like my first flight-instruction in a Cessna 172, where you start going down a pre-flight checklist LOL.
When I’ve driven them to me it’s all just totally intuitive.
Old 03-06-20, 06:48 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS
When I’ve driven them to me it’s all just totally intuitive.

Have you test-driven a Tesla 3? Almost nothing in that car is intuitive.....except for a couple of steering column controls, and even they don't necessarily work like most stalks. What's more, the 3, even in standard non-performance versions, has an insane amount of low-RPM torque....it is definitely not a machine for careless or inattentive drivers. Give yourself plenty of room from traffic ahead or you can get in trouble very quickly.

Quick Reply: Next time may be a little different.