Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Next time may be a little different.

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-20, 06:51 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,772 Likes on 1,979 Posts

I have. I didn’t find it confusing at all.
Old 03-09-20, 11:00 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Received 115 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Have you test-driven a Tesla 3? Almost nothing in that car is intuitive.....except for a couple of steering column controls, and even they don't necessarily work like most stalks. What's more, the 3, even in standard non-performance versions, has an insane amount of low-RPM torque....it is definitely not a machine for careless or inattentive drivers. Give yourself plenty of room from traffic ahead or you can get in trouble very quickly.
LOL. The insane torque (and surge in speed) was exactly why I had to ge one! It is ironic, I never subscribed to the old adage, "there's no replacement for displacement". I felt displacement was the lazy/easy way for power. Instead, I was hooked on horsepower/high RPM and marveled at what an Integra Type R, S2K, or NSX could do with VTEC up to 9000 RPM. EVs/Tesla made me appreciate torque.

I find the Tesla UI well laid out and easy to use, especially with voice control for typing. For those of us that prefer the old touchscreen in the earlier LSes over the Remote Touch Controller, you'd think a big touchscreen would be a welcomed evolution. At least a big touchscreen feels familiar like a phone or tablet. I remember driving the F-Pace and loved how you can customize the screen and lay out the controls to your liking.

Big screens give carmakers greater latitude and freedom to be creative and redesign controls through software. You can have as many seat memory profiles as you want in software. If a certain layout is unpopular, it's much easier to push out a software update and change the interface than try to move physical buttons and switches. I used to like tons of buttons because it felt like I was piloting a space craft, and I thought the flip down "control panel" on the 2007 GS was so cool, but now I view the assortment of buttons as cluttered.

Last edited by FatherTo1; 03-09-20 at 11:08 PM.
Old 03-10-20, 07:23 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by FatherTo1
LOL. The insane torque (and surge in speed) was exactly why I had to ge one! It is ironic, I never subscribed to the old adage, "there's no replacement for displacement". I felt displacement was the lazy/easy way for power.
Obviously, that displacement-quote does not apply to BEVs. It was originally cloned, back in the late 40s and 50s, by those who first got into the street-rod scene and by those who ran illegal moonshine in their cars to try and evade the Feds. Tricks like special cams, headers, manifolds, exhaust systems, superchargers, axle-ratios, etc....helped, but, in general, all else equal, more and larger cylinders meant more power.

Old 03-10-20, 07:42 AM
FatherTo1
Racer

Received 115 Likes on 95 Posts

Obviously, that displacement-quote does not apply to BEVs. It was originally cloned, back in the late 40s and 50s, by those who first got into the street-rod scene and by those who ran illegal moonshine in their cars to try and evade the Feds. Tricks like special cams, headers, manifolds, exhaust systems, superchargers, axle-ratios, etc....helped, but, in general, all else equal, more and larger cylinders meant more power.
T@mmarshall , I didn't know the history of the slogan. I always thought it originated in the 90s as a response to the import tuner scene.

Actually, my 2006 Tundra was probably when I first started to appreciate torque, so much that my license plate read TRQADDQ (as in torque addict). My buddies never read it right and still tease me about it to this day in good fun.
Old 03-10-20, 07:47 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

LOL. The insane torque (and surge in speed) was exactly why I had to ge one! It is ironic, I never subscribed to the old adage, "there's no replacement for displacement". I felt displacement was the lazy/easy way for power. Instead, I was hooked on horsepower/high RPM and marveled at what an Integra Type R, S2K, or NSX could do with VTEC up to 9000 RPM. EVs/Tesla made me appreciate torque.
maybe youll like big displacement cars now. I got tired of the high hp/$ ratio for mods on the small engines. Couldve bought a V8 from the beginning and the mod potential is still only beginning. Its much easier to performance drive a large motor and less shifting, no big deal if you fall off the power band, unlike the 4 bangers.
Old 03-10-20, 07:53 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

T@mmarshall , I didn't know the history of the slogan. I always thought it originated in the 90s as a response to the import tuner scene.
Nope.....it goes back a lot further than that. It originated before I was born, and I wasn't born yesterday LOL.

In fact, much of both the postwar Harley motorcycle-club and street-rod scenes (with the chopped '32 Ford Deuce coupes and Ford/Chevy V8s) originated from ex-fighter-pilots who, no longer having their planes to be aggressive with, turned to bikes and modded-cars instead)
Old 03-10-20, 09:22 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,511 Likes on 1,651 Posts

what is this thread about? mmarshall, is it that your next vehicle may be different from what you've had before? we know you're considering a cuv of course.

Old 03-10-20, 11:32 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
what is this thread about? mmarshall, is it that your next vehicle may be different from what you've had before? we know you're considering a cuv of course.

That's part of it........but also to state why I took some of the views I did in the past (which led to a lot of conflict with some other Car Chat posters during the recent GM strike and sedan/plant-discontinuations). I'm also becoming less-picky about what I drive in the future...vehicle-type, color, options, etc.... In fact, we are very fortunate, here in the U.S., to be able to afford the new vehicles we have, period, and, on top of it, be blessed in abundance with cheap gas (by world standards). To my understanding, only two countries in the world currently undercut our gas prices here in the U.S......One, Venezuela, because Chavez and Maduro bankrupted the country with huge subsidies for their oil industry, and, Two, Saudi Arabia, because they are an independent nation and sit right on top of the world's largest known oil reserves.
Old 03-10-20, 01:03 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

That's part of it........but also to state why I took some of the views I did in the past (which led to a lot of conflict with some other Car Chat posters during the recent GM strike and sedan/plant-discontinuations). I'm also becoming less-picky about what I drive in the future...vehicle-type, color, options, etc.... In fact, we are very fortunate, here in the U.S., to be able to afford the new vehicles we have, period, and, on top of it, be blessed in abundance with cheap gas (by world standards). To my understanding, only two countries in the world currently undercut our gas prices here in the U.S......One, Venezuela, because Chavez and Maduro bankrupted the country with huge subsidies for their oil industry, and, Two, Saudi Arabia, because they are an independent nation and sit right on top of the world's largest known oil reserves.
Isn't your Buick only about 2 years old? How often do you get new vehicles? I didn't think you were in that window yet. I wonder how many posts we can get this thread up to until you are actually ready to replace your current car?
Old 03-10-20, 02:40 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tex2670
Isn't your Buick only about 2 years old? How often do you get new vehicles? I didn't think you were in that window yet. I wonder how many posts we can get this thread up to until you are actually ready to replace your current car?
No...it's close to three years old. I ordered it in 2017.

Typically I keep a car anywhere between three and six years...usually four or five. Not only that, but some what I'm looking at now would not be a serious candidate for another year or two at least, simply because they are new and untested products from manufacturers, like Ford and GM, with known histories of teething problems.

With all due respect, if you think this thread is producing too many needless posts, fine.....there are a lot of other threads in Car Chat.
Old 03-10-20, 02:56 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 70 Likes on 61 Posts

With all due respect, if you think this thread is producing too many needless posts, fine...
I have to be honest. People seem to attack you for some reason.. You should use the "ignore feature" I do.

I saw a beautiful white Corsair today....I instantly thought of you.
Old 03-10-20, 03:14 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I have to be honest. People seem to attack you for some reason.. You should use the "ignore feature" I do.
Thanks for the compliment. I sometimes am tempted to use that feature, but I'm not that sort of person. I've only used it once, about three years ago, and that was on a true jerk....someone who apparently no longer posts on CL. Besides, I'm used to people disagreeing with me....time sometimes proves me right, or proves me wrong.

I saw a beautiful white Corsair today....I instantly thought of you.
Yes, tough to beat the Corsair in that compact/luxury crossover-SUV segment, though I have not sampled its primary competitor yet...the Cadillac XT4 (sat in one at the D.C. auto show, and that was it). That's something else I have to add to my sample-list...might get to that in a couple of weeks, though I've got taxes, military-base-ID issues, Real-ID drivers' license, housework, and several other things to take care of as well.....can't spend all day just looking at new vehicles.

Have you sampled or test-driven a Corsair yet? It's done on the Ford Escape platform, but considerably more refined, both inside and out. Gone are the days when Lincoln SUVs were simply rebadged Fords with a little more trim.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-10-20 at 03:17 PM.
Old 03-10-20, 03:18 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 70 Likes on 61 Posts

Yes, tough to beat the Corsair in that compact/luxury crossover-SUV segment, though I have not sampled its primary competitor yet...the Cadillac XT4. That's something else I have to add to my sample-list...might get to that in a couple of weeks, though I've got taxes, military-base-ID issues, Real-ID drivers' license, housework, and several other things to take care of as well.....can't spend all day on just new vehicles for myself.

Have you sampled or test-driven a Corsair yet? It's done on the Ford Escape platform, but considerably more refined, both inside and out. Gone are the days when Lincoln SUVs were simply rebadged Fords with a little more trim.
I like it. I thought it was just a refresh of the MKC, but I think not. It is OK for me, I not too interested in small crossovers, not my cup of tea. But the interior is excellent. I like the theme Lincoln is doing
Old 03-10-20, 03:21 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I like it. I thought it was just a refresh of the MKC, but I think not
Not by a long shot. It's a totally different (and new) platform from the MKC, which was based on the previous Escape (Kuga) platform. The Corsair's interior, of course, is also totally new (based on that of the Navigator and Aviator) with a huge upgrade in the quality of its materials.
Old 03-10-20, 04:31 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

.With all due respect, if you think this thread is producing too many needless posts, fine.....there are a lot of other threads in Car Chat.
Who said "needless posts"? Not me. If I thought there were needless posts, I would say it or exit. No need to read in subliminal messages. I'd like it to be an Epic Thread.

Quick Reply: Next time may be a little different.