Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Next time may be a little different.

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-20, 04:31 PM
Kense
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

When Tesla first came out and I rode in one, I was blown away with how crappy the materials in the inside felt to me. Especially since I was given a test drive in my Bosses P100D that cost 100K. I get it now though, I'm older and I just don't care. I'm sick of maintenance, being a slave to gasoline and wasting money on keeping the car running ever 5000 miles. I'm just sick of it and find it a huge waste of money. So much that I'm getting a Model 3 performance as my next car. I really don't care about the interior that much. I just want a car that's quick, requires virtually zero maintenance and doesn't need Gas.
Old 03-10-20, 04:52 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
Who said "needless posts"? Not me. If I thought there were needless posts, I would say it or exit. No need to read in subliminal messages. I'd like it to be an Epic Thread.
OK, fine....just so we understand each other.

BTW, on a somewhat-related topic, did you make the Philly show this year? The New York Show is going to be delayed till August because of the virus...I'm going to do a separate thread on that.
Old 03-10-20, 07:01 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Kense
When Tesla first came out and I rode in one, I was blown away with how crappy the materials in the inside felt to me. Especially since I was given a test drive in my Bosses P100D that cost 100K. I get it now though, I'm older and I just don't care. I'm sick of maintenance, being a slave to gasoline and wasting money on keeping the car running ever 5000 miles. I'm just sick of it and find it a huge waste of money. So much that I'm getting a Model 3 performance as my next car. I really don't care about the interior that much. I just want a car that's quick, requires virtually zero maintenance and doesn't need Gas.
i assume when you are talking about 5000 miles you mean oil changes. Pretty much every car manufacturer has moved to 10k oil changes. 30 minutes every 9 months to get an oil change is too much? Even cheaper if you can do it yourself. A Tesla cant even charge in that amount of time.

Doesnt need gas, where does that electricity for the tesla come from? What you really mean is I want the gas to be burned elsewhere, just not in my backyard.

I dont recommend you check on the price of a set of Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires on a T3 performance since you want a low maintenance car. Especially since EVs are known to eat tires because of the high torque and the heavy weight of the vehicle. The T3P tire set cost arent that far off from the set of tires on my viper. Some people are chewing through tires every 10k miles sometimes even as low as 5k. My viper tires last longer than that.
Old 03-10-20, 07:15 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 70 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
i assume when you are talking about 5000 miles you mean oil changes. Pretty much every car manufacturer has moved to 10k oil changes. 30 minutes every 9 months to get an oil change is too much? Even cheaper if you can do it yourself. A Tesla cant even charge in that amount of time.
One of the best comments I have ever read on here in response to an EV claim.
Old 03-10-20, 07:42 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
OK, fine....just so we understand each other.

BTW, on a somewhat-related topic, did you make the Philly show this year? The New York Show is going to be delayed till August because of the virus...I'm going to do a separate thread on that.
Absolutely--I’ve never missed it since 1998 which was my 1st year in Philadelphia.

I didn’t hear that about the NY show—which I used to go to before I moved to Philadelphia. Tough time of year for the show—many '21 models still won’t be ready yet.

Last edited by tex2670; 03-11-20 at 05:42 AM.
Old 03-10-20, 08:58 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Doesnt need gas, where does that electricity for the tesla come from? What you really mean is I want the gas to be burned elsewhere, just not in my backyard.

I dont recommend you check on the price of a set of Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires on a T3 performance since you want a low maintenance car. Especially since EVs are known to eat tires because of the high torque and the heavy weight of the vehicle. The T3P tire set cost arent that far off from the set of tires on my viper. Some people are chewing through tires every 10k miles sometimes even as low as 5k. My viper tires last longer than that.
Some people that track their car get 10k but most get 20k even driving fast. My Tesla weighs 4072 lbs for an AWD car. An S4 weight 3850 lbs. it's really not that much heavier and the weight is low so handling isn't compromised. He lives in Cali and most here have solar. My Tesla is basically free for me as I have solar. I know you don't like Tesla but you always bring the edge cases. The Performance 3 is an incredible family sedan for $55k. 0-60 in 3 seconds with no drama and super comfortable. Waaaaaay better than any family sedan in its price range.
Old 03-11-20, 11:18 AM
Kense
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes Oil Changes and nobody really waits 10K miles to change their oil. Especially on a Turbo Higher-Performance car like I have, A Red Sport, which have been blowing turbo's and showing filthy oil at 4-5000 miles with moderate driving. It's also rare to only wait 30 Minutes for an oil change, more like an hour or more and I don't have time to change my own oil and dispose of it. I'm in the Bay Area and there are charging stations everywhere including work, they are putting in faster charging stations all the time and soon you'll be able to get a full charge in minutes.

I don't need to buy PS tires, DWS06 will work just fine and cost 1/3rd the price.
Old 03-11-20, 11:38 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,772 Likes on 1,979 Posts

nobody really waits 10K miles to change their oil.
They absolutely do. Most people 100% follow the manufacturer's recommendations when it comes to service intervals. In fact, I don't know anybody outside of enthusiasts who don't.

Originally Posted by EZZ
Some people that track their car get 10k but most get 20k even driving fast. My Tesla weighs 4072 lbs for an AWD car. An S4 weight 3850 lbs. it's really not that much heavier and the weight is low so handling isn't compromised. He lives in Cali and most here have solar. My Tesla is basically free for me as I have solar. I know you don't like Tesla but you always bring the edge cases. The Performance 3 is an incredible family sedan for $55k. 0-60 in 3 seconds with no drama and super comfortable. Waaaaaay better than any family sedan in its price range
I can think of a bunch of $55k "family sedans" I would select over a Tesla Model 3. I just don't like it, I think they are unattractive inside and out, and I don't like the drawbacks of the EV powertrain. Its just not a car I would ever even consider buying. The only Tesla I find attractive from the outside is the Model S, and with that I hate the interior.

MY issue with Tesla fanboys is they don't understand that everybody who doesn't worship a Tesla isn't stupid, or backwards, or a Tesla hater. Not everyone would buy a Tesla if they "just drove one" or "if they had an open mind". Not everybody likes what you like. I have driven Telsas, they are cool but I wouldnt buy any of the ones they currently make. Would I be open to a luxury sedan built like my LS or an S Class with the performance and powertrain of a Model S? Absolutely. Would I buy one? No because I still dont like the EV limitations. If we got to the point where I could charge it everywhere in 5 minutes would I consider one? Absolutely.

I'm glad you like your Model 3 but it is NOT "Waaaay better than any other car".
Old 03-11-20, 11:48 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
They absolutely do. Most people 100% follow the manufacturer's recommendations when it comes to service intervals. In fact, I don't know anybody outside of enthusiasts who don't.

I can think of a bunch of $55k "family sedans" I would select over a Tesla Model 3. I just don't like it, I think they are unattractive inside and out, and I don't like the drawbacks of the EV powertrain. Its just not a car I would ever even consider buying. The only Tesla I find attractive from the outside is the Model S, and with that I hate the interior.

MY issue with Tesla fanboys is they don't understand that everybody who doesn't worship a Tesla isn't stupid, or backwards, or a Tesla hater. Not everyone would buy a Tesla if they "just drove one" or "if they had an open mind". Not everybody likes what you like. I have driven Telsas, they are cool but I wouldnt buy any of the ones they currently make. Would I be open to a luxury sedan built like my LS or an S Class with the performance and powertrain of a Model S? Absolutely. Would I buy one? No because I still dont like the EV limitations. If we got to the point where I could charge it everywhere in 5 minutes would I consider one? Absolutely.

I'm glad you like your Model 3 but it is NOT "Waaaay better than any other car".
You're right...i should have caveated...waaaay better performance family sedan than any other car in its price range I also understand that Tesla isn't for anyone but again, I think pointing out the edge cases of Tesla ownership as the norm should be called out.
Old 03-11-20, 11:49 AM
FatherTo1
Racer

Received 115 Likes on 95 Posts

Yes Oil Changes and nobody really waits 10K miles to change their oil. Especially on a Turbo Higher-Performance car like I have, A Red Sport, which have been blowing turbo's and showing filthy oil at 4-5000 miles with moderate driving. It's also rare to only wait 30 Minutes for an oil change, more like an hour or more and I don't have time to change my own oil and dispose of it. I'm in the Bay Area and there are charging stations everywhere including work, they are putting in faster charging stations all the time and soon you'll be able to get a full charge in minutes.

I don't need to buy PS tires, DWS06 will work just fine and cost 1/3rd the price.
Not trying to hijack Mike's thread but want to clarify a few items:

1. I have the same Pirelli P7+ tires on our Model S as we had on our LS 460, same size, same cost. It is still too early to tell final longevity. Not everyone has to put ultra expensive, ultra high performance tires on a car.

2. Typical EV charging occurs at home overnight, when electricity is cheapest. It takes two seconds to plug it in, nowhere near the 20-30 minutes it takes for me to do an oil change. And I did oil changes 4x a year. I believe the average annual mileage is now considered 15K and I drive about 20K.

3. As for electricity generation, Tesla is also working to integrate Tesla solar panels with Tesla PowerWalls at Supercharging stations. The conversion is already completed at a few locations. This minimizes reliance on the grid. Store the excess solar generation in PowerWall packs to charge cars at night. That is just smart and consistent with their core mission of severing dependence on fossil fuels, not just shifting it out of your backyard. Sure, it will take time, but see how much they've moved the industry in the last few years.

Last edited by FatherTo1; 03-11-20 at 12:17 PM.
Old 03-11-20, 12:22 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by FatherTo1
2. Typical EV charging occurs at home overnight, when electricity is cheapest. It takes two seconds to plug it in, nowhere near the 20-30 minutes it takes for me to do an oil change. And I did oil changes 4x a year. I believe the average annual mileage is now considered 15K and I drive about 20K.
The issue we're talking about is not charging at home, its charging out in the world when on a trip or something. Day in and day out the charging would be a non issue because it would charge overnight at home.
Old 03-11-20, 12:48 PM
All4Lexus
Intermediate

Received 43 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I used the Model 3's interior because it is arguably the most extreme example of today's technology transforming what used to be button-and-switch interiors into Screen-O-Matics.
Yep, infinite buttons are now possible on the screen. As Buzz Lightyear says: Infinity and beyond!
How do we strip down the auto to the must have essentials, and then build up on that framework. Why not drive costs down than struggle to make enough sales at a higher price. Tesla is not holding back on improving the cars internally. Model S used to have 1.5 km of wiring. Now Model Y is getting it down to under 100 meters. ( https://insideevs.com/news/363422/te...cture-details/ ) Truly amazing digital advancement is happening behind the scenes.
Old 03-11-20, 01:17 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Received 115 Likes on 95 Posts

The issue we're talking about is not charging at home, its charging out in the world when on a trip or something. Day in and day out the charging would be a non issue because it would charge overnight at home.
Yes, but unless you're driving over 200 miles a day, when is that going to affect you? If you can charge at work, even less of an issue. Even on a roadtrip people need a bathroom break and a stop to eat, especially with families and kids -- plenty of time to charge during a meal stop. Even if you drive nonstop, V3 Supercharging in a Model 3 is fast, netting you over 200 miles of range in 30 minutes. The wait is overblown and is not a dealbreaker for the 1-million Tesla owners now (the 1-millionth Tesla just rolled off the line). Well, maybe less than 1M owners since some people own multiple Teslas.

I completely agree an EV isn't for everyone, and not everyone needs to drive an EV. If people would rather buy something else with their money, that's great. The reasons for not getting one (or getting one) just gets overblown sometimes. I certainly don't think our Model S is the best car ever because it has some rattles now and isn't as smooth or quiet as flagship luxury sedans, but that's okay for me. It is certainly one of the funnest cars I've owned and I look forward to driving it every chance I get.

Last edited by FatherTo1; 03-11-20 at 01:22 PM.
Old 03-11-20, 01:25 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by FatherTo1
Yes, but unless you're driving over 200 miles a day, when is that going to affect you? Even on a roadtrip people need a bathroom break and a stop to eat, especially with families and kids -- plenty of time to charge during a meal stop. Even if you drive nonstop, V3 Supercharging in a Model 3 is fast, netting you over 200 miles of range in 30 minutes. The wait is overblown and is not a dealbreaker for the 1-million Tesla owners now (the 1-millionth Tesla just rolled off the line). Well, maybe less than 1M owners since some people own multiple Teslas, such as our esteemed @riknchar now (Congrats, Rick!).
I take several 300+ mile trips a year. Quite a few of them I am in my car, alone and those are 350-360 mile each way highway trips and they are typically to rural, mountainous areas where there are no Superchargers. A 30 minute charge stop is the exact opposite of fast, IMHO. I don't stop and eat, I may stop and go to the bathroom but that takes 4 minutes. Often I drive 5 hours straight through. I don't like to stop on a trip, I like to get where I'm going. If we eat, we eat in the car. In order for an EV to work for me there, it needs to charge in 5 minutes. My LS460L gets me there in less than 3/4 a tank of fuel. I dont even have to stop to refuel.

So, maybe I can make it to WV on one charge. What happens when I get there? No Superchargers, no public charging of any kind. Our family home down there has no high speed charger, I would have to charge it off an extension cord plugged into a household outlet. Its going to take 15 hours to get a charge on that, and when I get there its going to be totally dead. I run around while I'm down there, I dont want to have to get to the house and sit there for 15 hours.

It just doesnt work for me, and I don't like the car enough to try and force it to work for me.
Old 03-11-20, 01:32 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 70 Likes on 61 Posts

I take several 300+ mile trips a year. Quite a few of them I am in my car, alone and those are 350-360 mile each way highway trips and they are typically to rural, mountainous areas where there are no Superchargers. A 30 minute charge stop is the exact opposite of fast, IMHO. I don't stop and eat, I may stop and go to the bathroom but that takes 4 minutes. Often I drive 5 hours straight through. I don't like to stop on a trip, I like to get where I'm going. If we eat, we eat in the car. In order for an EV to work for me there, it needs to charge in 5 minutes. My LS460L gets me there in less than 3/4 a tank of fuel. I dont even have to stop to refuel.

So, maybe I can make it to WV on one charge. What happens when I get there? No Superchargers, no public charging of any kind. Our family home down there has no high speed charger, I would have to charge it off an extension cord plugged into a household outlet. Its going to take 15 hours to get a charge on that, and when I get there its going to be totally dead. I run around while I'm down there, I dont want to have to get to the house and sit there for 15 hours.

It just doesnt work for me, and I don't like the car enough to try and force it to work for me.
What happens if the charger is being used? Has a wait to be used? The EV crowd will stop at nothing to tell you it works.

Quick Reply: Next time may be a little different.