Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Next time may be a little different.

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-20, 01:33 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,772 Likes on 1,979 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
What happens if the charger is being used? Has a wait to be used? The EV crowd will stop at nothing to tell you it works.
Exactly! Then it’s an hour or more!
Old 03-11-20, 01:42 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 70 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
EV's do not work for long trips for those who have experience with gas and want to do it the same way based on timing and distance. I could see a possible future where you rent a hotel room and you pay for a reservation to charge your EV in the hotel room parking spot that is only reserved for you. But I doubt it will be cheaper to reserve this than fill up a Toyota Camry. I personally think early adopters are fooled into thinking it will be so cheap for a EV down the road, once there is a significant demand for EVs, the associated costs, surcharges, even proposed tire taxes for EVs will offset gas costs. But EV owners will never stop and look at things from a distance or an open-minded POV

Evidence: Ontario Canada is proposing at 10% luxury tax on purchases over $100,000...A Porsche Taycan EV is $220K in Canada, whereas a Porsche Panorama starts at a lot less, like $100K or so

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 03-11-20 at 01:48 PM.
Old 03-11-20, 01:46 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Received 115 Likes on 95 Posts

You're both correct, Steve/Jill. That is my biggest concern too. As popularity and EV adoption grows, I am worried about overcrowded charging stations. Even at work there are grumblings of how to share the limited charging spots among the two dozen EVs, but that's not as bad as running into a full station on a roadtrip.

I agree with what Steve wrote earlier regarding not forcing an EV to fit one's lifestyle. Seeing the long lines at Costco gas and waiting half an hour for my turn 4x a month also didn't work for me any longer. Doesnt bother my wife to wait in the Costco line though. Of course, there are several.other nearby gas stations but they're also a few dollars more per fill-up so it's a trade-off between time and money.
Old 03-11-20, 01:50 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

people dont stop to eat every 300 miles. Bathroom breaks take 10 minutes or less. All of that assumes you have a supercharger available on your route. Imagine having to take a big detour off your route just because you have to get to a supercharger. This is going to cost time in addition to charging time. You would literally have to plan an entire trip around where superchargers are located. Hopefully its not a very cold/hot day or get stuck in a wreck on the freeway that day as all of these will affect your range. I can go 600+ miles on a single tank in my truck and gas up anywhere in under 10 minutes. Heck if someone got the ecodiesel ram with 33 gallon tank thats 1000 mile range. Honest question, range is 300 miles at what highway speed? Here around Houston if you are not driving 80 mph you will get run over on the freeway. When you start to get out of town, not uncommon for people to drive 85-90 mph. These speeds will definitely affect the range. I'm not going putt putt around on the freeway at 65 mph to maximize my range because youll get run over in addition to the, guess what, additional time it will take to get somewhere as if there isnt enough time bleeding out already.
Old 03-11-20, 02:04 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
people dont stop to eat every 300 miles. Bathroom breaks take 10 minutes or less. All of that assumes you have a supercharger available on your route. Imagine having to take a big detour off your route just because you have to get to a supercharger. This is going to cost time in addition to charging time. You would literally have to plan an entire trip around where superchargers are located. Hopefully its not a very cold/hot day or get stuck in a wreck on the freeway that day as all of these will affect your range. I can go 600+ miles on a single tank in my truck and gas up anywhere in under 10 minutes. Heck if someone got the ecodiesel ram with 33 gallon tank thats 1000 mile range. Honest question, range is 300 miles at what highway speed? Here around Houston if you are not driving 80 mph you will get run over on the freeway. When you start to get out of town, not uncommon for people to drive 85-90 mph. These speeds will definitely affect the range. I'm not going putt putt around on the freeway at 65 mph to maximize my range because youll get run over in addition to the, guess what, additional time it will take to get somewhere as if there isnt enough time bleeding out already.
You're assuming i take my little daily beater for a long drive somewhere. Its my daily commuter weapon...silent, deadly fast, cheap to run. I'll take my swagger wagon on long trips because my kids LOVE the space. You don't have to get a car for the 0.1% of the time you decide to go somewhere far vs. the 99.9% of the time you use the car for commuting.
Old 03-11-20, 02:12 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 70 Likes on 61 Posts

And.....I think this thread is done!
Old 03-11-20, 02:17 PM
Kense
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

They absolutely do. Most people 100% follow the manufacturer's recommendations when it comes to service intervals. In fact, I don't know anybody outside of enthusiasts who don't.

I can think of a bunch of $55k "family sedans" I would select over a Tesla Model 3. I just don't like it, I think they are unattractive inside and out, and I don't like the drawbacks of the EV powertrain. Its just not a car I would ever even consider buying. The only Tesla I find attractive from the outside is the Model S, and with that I hate the interior.

MY issue with Tesla fanboys is they don't understand that everybody who doesn't worship a Tesla isn't stupid, or backwards, or a Tesla hater. Not everyone would buy a Tesla if they "just drove one" or "if they had an open mind". Not everybody likes what you like. I have driven Telsas, they are cool but I wouldnt buy any of the ones they currently make. Would I be open to a luxury sedan built like my LS or an S Class with the performance and powertrain of a Model S? Absolutely. Would I buy one? No because I still dont like the EV limitations. If we got to the point where I could charge it everywhere in 5 minutes would I consider one? Absolutely.

I'm glad you like your Model 3 but it is NOT "Waaaay better than any other car".
Going 10,000 miles between oil changes is not something I'm going to do period. There have been numerous issues with people waiting that long between oil changes with my model of car.
Old 03-11-20, 02:19 PM
Kense
Instructor

Those of you outside of California obviously don't understand the amount of charging stations here. In fact, there's a Tesla Charging station 1 mile from my house with 40 spots.
Old 03-11-20, 02:23 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

EV's do not work for long trips for those who have experience with gas and want to do it the same way based on timing and distance. I could see a possible future where you rent a hotel room and you pay for a reservation to charge your EV in the hotel room parking spot that is only reserved for you. But I doubt it will be cheaper to reserve this than fill up a Toyota Camry. I personally think early adopters are fooled into thinking it will be so cheap for a EV down the road, once there is a significant demand for EVs, the associated costs, surcharges, even proposed tire taxes for EVs will offset gas costs. But EV owners will never stop and look at things from a distance or an open-minded POV

Evidence: Ontario Canada is proposing at 10% luxury tax on purchases over $100,000...A Porsche Taycan EV is $220K in Canada, whereas a Porsche Panorama starts at a lot less, like $100K or so
Most EVs sell in the $50k range like other cars. You literally have no shred of evidence that EVs will cost as much / more in the future that ICE. If anything, once battery prices get to $100 per kwh, the BEV will be priced the same as the ICE with the same options according to most analystis. However, maintenance and fuel costs will be significantly less.
Old 03-11-20, 02:48 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by FatherTo1
Seeing the long lines at Costco gas and waiting half an hour for my turn 4x a month also didn't work for me any longer. Doesnt bother my wife to wait in the Costco line though. Of course, there are several.other nearby gas stations but they're also a few dollars more per fill-up so it's a trade-off between time and money.
30 minutes?!? You seriously wait 30 minutes every week to save a few dollars on a fill up? How much is your time worth? I just filled my LS up from the gas light, with admittedly a large Giant food per gallon discount for $48. I mean, if I value my time at $80 an hour which is low the gas would have to be free to make it worth waiting 30 minutes.

And then; all of that money you saved by waiting all of those hours to buy cheaper fuel are obliterated by trading a car in on a Tesla and paying twice as much for it as the car you traded in.

The economics here just dont make sense lol

Originally Posted by EZZ
You're assuming i take my little daily beater for a long drive somewhere. Its my daily commuter weapon...silent, deadly fast, cheap to run. I'll take my swagger wagon on long trips because my kids LOVE the space. You don't have to get a car for the 0.1% of the time you decide to go somewhere far vs. the 99.9% of the time you use the car for commuting.
Most people cannot have multiple cars for their own personal use like that, and the cost of having that vs just one car for both purposes negates any fuel savings.

Most people do indeed have to buy one car for 100% of their needs yes.

Originally Posted by Kense
Going 10,000 miles between oil changes is not something I'm going to do period. There have been numerous issues with people waiting that long between oil changes with my model of car.
Thats your choice, but most people don't agree. Most people follow the manufacturers recommendation and thats the end of it.

Those of you outside of California obviously don't understand the amount of charging stations here. In fact, there's a Tesla Charging station 1 mile from my house with 40 spots.
And to those of us outside of CA the number of charging stations in CA means nothing to us.

Last edited by SW17LS; 03-11-20 at 03:01 PM.
Old 03-11-20, 03:45 PM
Kense
Instructor

You've surveyed most people and what they do regarding oil changes? Anytime somebody says most people they are just pulling that out their ***.

The question was "what happens when you go to a charging station and all the spots are taken". My response, I live in California. So why should I care that you have a limited amount of charging stations, I don't so that doesn't affect us.
Old 03-11-20, 03:51 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

You've surveyed most people and what they do regarding oil changes? Anytime somebody says most people they are just pulling that out their ***.
Have you surveyed them? Anytime somebody says "nobody" is just pulling that out their ***.

Translation: If my statement was BS, so was yours.

But we do have a forum, so I'm going to start a poll

The question was "what happens when you go to a charging station and all the spots are taken". My response, I live in California. So why should I care that you have a limited amount of charging stations, I don't so that doesn't affect us.
Nobody is trying to convince you that you should not drive an EV. Those of us who aren't fans of EVs however are being told that we should drive them and that all of our concerns aren't real.

Enjoy your Tesla. I don't like them and they don't fit into my needs. Its okay, I don't have to like them or want one for you to enjoy yours.

Last edited by SW17LS; 03-11-20 at 03:55 PM.
Old 03-11-20, 05:05 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Received 115 Likes on 95 Posts

30 minutes?!? You seriously wait 30 minutes every week to save a few dollars on a fill up? How much is your time worth? I just filled my LS up from the gas light, with admittedly a large Giant food per gallon discount for $48. I mean, if I value my time at $80 an hour which is low the gas would have to be free to make it worth waiting 30 minutes.

And then; all of that money you saved by waiting all of those hours to buy cheaper fuel are obliterated by trading a car in on a Tesla and paying twice as much for it as the car you traded in.

The economics here just dont make sense lol
Oh I concur, it is not the best use of my time to wait at Costco. If I'm lucky I may get in and out in 15-20 minutes and that makes it tougher to decide whether it's worth driving down the street in the other direction. The idea of going out of my way is also unappealing so I choose the more tolerable option. Plus I'm not particularly a fan of the alternative gas stations. We frequent Costco enough that gas is just another thing to get at Costco.

If it's one thing I learned on this forum, and from you, that is to get what makes you happy. I mean, don't go bankrupt doing it but you have the idea. In my small attempt to steer the conversation back to the OP's point(s), we learn a lot about ourselves through life experiences, one of which is the car buying and ownership experience. At least cars are easier to change with your tastes than changing spouses/partners.
Old 03-11-20, 05:17 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by FatherTo1
If it's one thing I learned on this forum, and from you, that is to get what makes you happy. I mean, don't go bankrupt doing it but you have the idea. In my small attempt to steer the conversation back to the OP's point(s), we learn a lot about ourselves through life experiences, one of which is the car buying and ownership experience. At least cars are easier to change with your tastes than changing spouses/partners.
That is absolutely the truth. If its what you want and its not going to hurt you, then get it, If your Tesla brings you joy, then you can certainly find a way to work through whatever negatives there may be from owning an EV.
Old 03-11-20, 05:36 PM
Zammer
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

One of the best comments I have ever read on here in response to an EV claim.
So what? Apples and oranges. EVs can charge at home, while owners go about their lives. When supercharging, owners can get something to eat, shop, etc. Even if they choose to stay in the car while it is charging, it is not lost time, they can watch TV, play games, read from the car's screen, even nap. .

Quick Reply: Next time may be a little different.