Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Next time may be a little different.

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-20, 05:46 PM
Zammer
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
30 minutes?!? You seriously wait 30 minutes every week to save a few dollars on a fill up? How much is your time worth? I just filled my LS up from the gas light, with admittedly a large Giant food per gallon discount for $48. I mean, if I value my time at $80 an hour which is low the gas would have to be free to make it worth waiting 30 minutes.

And then; all of that money you saved by waiting all of those hours to buy cheaper fuel are obliterated by trading a car in on a Tesla and paying twice as much for it as the car you traded in.

The economics here just dont make sense lol

Most people cannot have multiple cars for their own personal use like that, and the cost of having that vs just one car for both purposes negates any fuel savings.

Most people do indeed have to buy one car for 100% of their needs yes.

Thats your choice, but most people don't agree. Most people follow the manufacturers recommendation and thats the end of it.

And to those of us outside of CA the number of charging stations in CA means nothing to us.
"The Department of Energy (DOE) reports that the US now has over 20,000 electric car charging stations with more than 68,800 connectors. The new numbers were released by the DOE this week: “As of May 2019, there were more than 68,800 Level 2 and DC fast charging units throughout the United States.Jul 9, 2019" That number has increased greatly since the report was issued.

You will now add something to the effect that in your neighborhood there are no charging stations.
Old 03-11-20, 05:50 PM
Zammer
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thumbs up Kense reply

Originally Posted by Kense
You've surveyed most people and what they do regarding oil changes? Anytime somebody says most people they are just pulling that out their ***.

The question was "what happens when you go to a charging station and all the spots are taken". My response, I live in California. So why should I care that you have a limited amount of charging stations, I don't so that doesn't affect us.
His *** is very prolific.

Old 03-11-20, 05:54 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,772 Likes on 1,979 Posts

Originally Posted by Zammer
So what? Apples and oranges. EVs can charge at home, while owners go about their lives. When supercharging, owners can get something to eat, shop, etc. Even if they choose to stay in the car while it is charging, it is not lost time, they can watch TV, play games, read from the car's screen, even nap. .
Why would people want to take a nap or watch TV or play games while they would otherwise be driving somewhere? That is absolutely lost time. Most people who drive places do so because they must, they need to be someplace for some reason, they don't do it for fun. I don't have time in my day to take a nap or play a game. I have places to be and time spent in my car is time spent traveling to a destination, not leisure time. Most people are not retired.

I also hear this a lot "people can get something to eat or shop", well...sure if where I want to eat or shop is attached to the supercharger station. Otherwise I'm out wandering the streets on foot while my car is dead in the water plugged into a supercharger.

Whereas in my gas car, I can stop one place and get gas in 3 minutes, drive 1/4 mile down the road and get exactly what I want to eat, and be back on the road, fed and with another 400 miles of range in not even 1/2 the time your EV is plugged into a charger and you're finding something to fill your time.

I watched a video on YouTube where a guy took a 1,200 mile trip. It took him 10 HOURS longer than it would have in a gas car. He was stopped and not moving for 10 hours. That isn't lost time? Its a ton of lost time.

Recharging on the go is a HUGE drawback to EVs. Before they really become mainsream that time to charge has for to be 2/3rds shorter than it is, and the availability of EV charging stations has to be expected by 100 fold.

Old 03-11-20, 05:58 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,772 Likes on 1,979 Posts

His *** is very prolific.
The poll I posted so far is showing 70% of respondents follow the manufacturer's oil change interval and only 30% change more frequently, and thats among enthusiasts. So apparently my *** knows what its talking about.

"The Department of Energy (DOE) reports that the US now has over 20,000 electric car charging stations with more than 68,800 connectors. The new numbers were released by the DOE this week: “As of May 2019, there were more than 68,800 Level 2 and DC fast charging units throughout the United States.Jul 9, 2019" That number has increased greatly since the report was issued.

You will now add something to the effect that in your neighborhood there are no charging stations.
There are a ton of charging stations in my area. The issue as I have said is when I travel to places where there are not. I dont need them where I live because I have my house to charge it every night.

And thats great that there are 20,000 car charging stations and 68,800 connectors. There are 168,000 gas stations in the US. So, 8 times more.

Pretending this drawback doesnt exist makes no sense. It does exist, but it will improve as time goes on. Technology will shorten charge times and improve range too. I'm not knocking the tech, I'm just saying its not there yet for me.
Old 03-11-20, 07:05 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

So what? Apples and oranges. EVs can charge at home, while owners go about their lives. When supercharging, owners can get something to eat, shop, etc. Even if they choose to stay in the car while it is charging, it is not lost time, they can watch TV, play games, read from the car's screen, even nap. .
So buy something while waiting for the thing to charge, or wasting my time when I have somewhere to be. If i have somewhere to be i dont want to shop, I dont want to read the screen, play games. And people are telling me an EV is suppose to save me money? This is a literal waste of my time, which is something far more valuable. Having to build your days schedule around when and where you can supercharge? No freaking thanks.

https://www.carscoops.com/2020/01/yo...-dont-have-to/

If he used an ICE-powered car, the trip would have cost an estimated $220 in fuel alone and would have taken about 17 hours. However, with the Model X, fuel costs were zero dollars thanks to Tesla’s Supercharger network. However, it took the YouTuber about 36 hours to complete the trip because of the stops needed for charging the batteries.

In the video, Ryan says that Autopilot is great on a long road trip because it makes the driver feel more relaxed, almost like a passenger – one that casually needs to touch the steering wheel every 8 to 10 seconds, that is. However, he added that he would never make such a long trip again in an EV because of the amount of time spent charging the batteries.

Most superchargers are located 5-10 miles (8-16 km) away from the highway and thus add a significant amount of time (and miles) to a long trip like this. We’ll now leave you with the video documenting the 1,200-mile trip on Autopilot.
took and extra 19 hours more to save $220. Is your free time is only worth $11.50/hour?

wait a second how is it $220 for 1200 miles of fuel? My truck can do that on 2 tanks of gas, which costs $75 to fill up each time, meaning my free time in the truck is worth $7.89/hour. Use a more fuel efficient vehicle and its even cheaper. You arent saving crap. Imagine if you had a family with you on this boondoggle of a trip. How much is 4x the man hours worth of time is it to spend an extra 19 hours on the road? Have you thought of what kind of books, games, and shopping to do during that extra 19 hours?

This may not be typical of most trips, but this is the potential BS you have to deal with.

Last edited by 4TehNguyen; 03-11-20 at 07:34 PM.
Old 03-12-20, 05:41 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
What happens if the charger is being used? Has a wait to be used? The EV crowd will stop at nothing to tell you it works.
Right. And the more people that buy EVs, the more likely this is to happen unless supercharging station expansion matches EV sales. But take a place like the NJ Turnpike rest stops. There would be a much greater demand for charging at a place like that. Use the gas pumps as a guide: the first rest stop heading south from NYC always has lines of cars stacked up 5-10 deep in every pump line; if I can, I always skip gassing up closer to NYC. I would assume charging stations would have a similar situation.