Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Ford shows its dealers the sub-Ranger pickup

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-20, 08:32 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts
Default Ford shows its dealers the sub-Ranger pickup

Ford is moving forward with its plan to release so-called white-space vehicles that fill the void left by cars like the Fiesta and the Focus. It recently showed one of these models, a sub-Ranger pickup truck, to its top dealers.

While photography wasn't allowed during the event, retailers described it to Automotive News as a pickup whose sides are oddly reminiscent of the original Ranger released for the 1983 model year. If that's accurate, it will arrive as a boxy, slab-sided truck that puts an unmistakable emphasis on function rather than on form. Spy shots of a heavily camouflaged test mule (pictured) suggest it will be offered with four doors and a long cargo box. Additional body styles might not be available as Ford seeks to keep costs in check by simplifying its range.

Called P758 internally, the trucklet will ride on a unibody platform shared with the current-generation Focus sold overseas. An earlier report claims Ford has put its Australian division — which no longer builds cars — in charge of developing it. Power will come from a 2.0-liter four-cylinder engine that shifts through an eight-speed automatic transmission. Front-wheel drive will likely come standard, and all-wheel drive will be offered at an extra cost.

Dealers reported the yet-unnamed model will be manufactured in the Hermosillo, Mexico, factory that currently makes the Fusion and the Lincoln MKZ, two nameplates scheduled to retire in 2020. Pricing will start at under $20,000 before destination. To add context, the outgoing Fiesta carries a base price of $14,260 while the Ranger starts at $24,410. The Blue Oval predicts it will sell about 100,000 units annually starting in late 2021, though the United States won't be its only market. Canada will get it, too, and many Latin American markets have a healthy appetite for small trucks. Its city-friendly, car-like dimensions could earn it a trip across the pond, too.
Source
Old 03-09-20, 08:47 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

so the size of an original Ranger, HOPEFULLY.
Old 03-09-20, 02:32 PM
Trexus

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

Ford doesn't want to resurrect the Courier name? The Ranchero competed with the El Camino which was basically a two door car with a truck bed.
Old 03-09-20, 03:16 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Trexus
Ford doesn't want to resurrect the Courier name? The Ranchero competed with the El Camino which was basically a two door car with a truck bed.

As I understood it, the Courier was actually a Mazda pickup rebadged as a Ford. Later on, of course, it was the opposite....Mazda sold rebadged Ford Rangers as the B-series.
Old 03-10-20, 01:02 PM
Wilson2000
Pole Position

Received 484 Likes on 385 Posts

Yes, whatever became of the now extinct "mini-truck?" They dominated the roads in the 70's and 80's when gas prices were climbing. Most non-commercial truck needs were satisfied with the mini-truck, and I have to believe would be today as well. Kudos to Ford for thinking of residential, small truck owners!

We have many, many sizes of SUV's to pick from, from mini-ute to massive; why not with trucks? I think the manufacturer's marketing geniuses are actually fairly dumb.
Old 03-10-20, 04:12 PM
Trexus

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Wilson2000
Yes, whatever became of the now extinct "mini-truck?" They dominated the roads in the 70's and 80's when gas prices were climbing. Most non-commercial truck needs were satisfied with the mini-truck, and I have to believe would be today as well. Kudos to Ford for thinking of residential, small truck owners!

We have many, many sizes of SUV's to pick from, from mini-ute to massive; why not with trucks? I think the manufacturer's marketing geniuses are actually fairly dumb.
Agreed! Toyota should also bring the Hilux (AN120/AN130) to the U.S. and Canada (already sold in Mexico). More choices in truck size, price, engine choices, etc...Toyota would rule the compact and mid-size pickup truck market...
Old 03-10-20, 06:58 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Trexus
..Toyota would rule the compact and mid-size pickup truck market...
Toyota already rules the mid-size segment pick up with their Tacoma.
Old 03-11-20, 12:00 PM
Wilson2000
Pole Position

Received 484 Likes on 385 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Toyota already rules the mid-size segment pick up with their Tacoma.
True, but a fact that defies logic. Maybe they are the best among weak competition? I wanted to replace my 2001 Tundra SR5 4x4 with the 2015 Taco, but I drove it and canceled the plan. I concur with CR's review "...it's primitive. The ride is stiff, and handling is ponderous." I would add...the engine wasn't smooth and the cab was cramped. In fairness, it was the first year of the redesign, so maybe they were still getting bugs out. But five years later, the reliability and owner satisfaction ratings are only average. I know Toyota can do better as I absolutely love my Tundra and decided to keep it until a better Toyota truck comes along. The redesigned Tundra better be "insanely great" after making us wait so long for it!
Old 03-11-20, 12:20 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

True, but a fact that defies logic. Maybe they are the best among weak competition? I wanted to replace my 2001 Tundra SR5 4x4 with the 2015 Taco, but I drove it and canceled the plan. I concur with CR's review "...it's primitive. The ride is stiff, and handling is ponderous." I would add...the engine wasn't smooth and the cab was cramped. In fairness, it was the first year of the redesign, so maybe they were still getting bugs out. But five years later, the reliability and owner satisfaction ratings are only average.
All fair points, the overall score from the Tacoma is 47..The Jeep Gladiator is 46, the GM twins are 37....Ranger and Ridgeline are better in scoring than the Toyota. I have read the new 2020 has been retuned and a height control has been added to the drivers seat. Toyota also has excellent marketing for its Tacoma truck as well.

I know Toyota can do better as I absolutely love my Tundra and decided to keep it until a better Toyota truck comes along.!
That truck design was their best ever.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 03-11-20 at 12:29 PM.
Old 03-12-20, 06:20 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

That photo might (?) be just a disguised test-mule....hard to say. Previous articles on the subject indicated that it would be a crossover/unibody.....more or less like a Escape with a bed.

https://carbuzz.com/news/ford-offici...ew-small-truck