Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: How often do you change your oil?
According to the manufacturer's service interval, or less frequently?
65.67%
More frequently than is suggested by the manufacturer?
34.33%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Do you change your oil as often as the manufacturer recommends, or more often?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-20, 06:46 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

only exception to my oil change interval is the viper, i change it once a year regardless of the mileage. Only did 2200 miles last year on it and I send it out for annual oil analysis. I use 15W-50 on it, the factory fill is 0W-40. Chief powertrain engineer said unofficially that the 0W-40 was for mileage and he would recommend 15W-50. It is thicker, took a while to drain on the last oil change when cool. I definately let the car warm up for a few minutes before even moving out of the driveway.
Old 03-16-20, 08:50 AM
Wilson2000
Pole Position

Received 498 Likes on 396 Posts

Variable valve timing (VVTi) is affected by the oil's weight specification, so always use what the manufacturer recommends if you have a VVTi engine.
Old 03-16-20, 10:00 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
only exception to my oil change interval is the viper, i change it once a year regardless of the mileage. Only did 2200 miles last year on it and I send it out for annual oil analysis. I use 15W-50 on it, the factory fill is 0W-40. Chief powertrain engineer said unofficially that the 0W-40 was for mileage and he would recommend 15W-50. It is thicker, took a while to drain on the last oil change when cool. I definately let the car warm up for a few minutes before even moving out of the driveway.
Would this not be better for the Viper? 0 for better startup protection (when the motor is cold), but still offering 50 protection at high temp.

Old 03-16-20, 10:25 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

not when that is $20/qt on amazon, when I can go to wally world and get 15W-50 for $24/5qt. I need to have 11qt plus a couple extra for occasional to off. They do make 5W-50 for $8/qt but not available at Walmart. Being able to get it at wally world is the main convenience of it. Perhaps I can consider 5w-50 in the future
Old 03-18-20, 09:38 AM
RaiderHawk
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

For me, it is every 5K miles or every 6 months. Whichever comes first.
Old 03-18-20, 02:29 PM
COPAPILOT
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The manual says every 10,000 miles unless the car is used in severe conditions, like driving off road or in a desert. I check the look of my oil every few thousand miles and it is still clean at 10,000 miles so it is a waste of resources to change it more often. As a Professional Engineer, I can not justify wasting resources when there is nothing to be gained technically. I know the dealers need to make money but they can find another way that does not wast natural resources.
Old 03-18-20, 02:47 PM
RA40
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 473 Likes on 363 Posts

Have done a range of oil tests on ours, from 4K to 15K intervals. The 7.5K interval has a nice balance even though the Mobil 1 still has sufficient additive but getting low at 15K miles.
Old 03-18-20, 09:44 PM
Wilson2000
Pole Position

Originally Posted by COPAPILOT
The manual says every 10,000 miles unless the car is used in severe conditions, like driving off road or in a desert.
Other "severe" conditions include lots of stop-and-go driving, regular jack-rabbit starts, frequent short trips and/or exclusive around-town trips (without highway driving), moving a lot more drivers into this category.
Old 03-19-20, 05:51 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by Wilson2000
Other "severe" conditions include lots of stop-and-go driving, regular jack-rabbit starts, frequent short trips and/or exclusive around-town trips (without highway driving), moving a lot more drivers into this category.
Are you criticizing the way my wife, and my buddy's wife, drive? lol

I told my wife a while back, hey, go easy on the car it's cold! She says, "But uncle Will says modern cars don't need to be warmed up." (master tech BMW in Munich)

I said he's right, but that doesn't mean you have jack rabbit starts like that, you go easy on it (that term shows age for sure). My dad taught me engine sympathy, which is about as common these days as a Gen Z staying off a FLA beach during coronavirus
Old 03-19-20, 08:51 AM
riredale
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

Surprised and a bit disheartened that such a mundane post has garnered 84 responses. Seriously, folks? Talk about a First-World Problem!

On the other hand maybe it's understandable given the current world situation and the stress of working from home for many of us. Stay healthy, everyone.
Old 03-19-20, 08:57 AM
arentz07
drives cars
Forum Moderator

Received 3,923 Likes on 1,980 Posts

Originally Posted by riredale
Surprised and a bit disheartened that such a mundane post has garnered 84 responses. Seriously, folks? Talk about a First-World Problem!

On the other hand maybe it's understandable given the current world situation and the stress of working from home for many of us. Stay healthy, everyone.
Here's the thing. No matter what you drive, it will need oil changes as long as it has a combustion engine. So, a lot of people have something to say about this.

Also there are lots of misconceptions out there, particularly the lingering notion that 3,000 mile oil changes are still needed with modern vehicles... So I think revisiting this topic isn't entirely uncalled-for.
Old 03-19-20, 09:18 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by riredale

How about toilet paper? I was surprised that as a first world we would hoard it such that others could no longer buy it. Wife went out today, and as the analysts predicted, it's all over with no place to put it, more than anyone could want or fit in their Navigator L with the 3rd row down. A glut. Why do humans behave this way? I didn't see it coming. Masks? OK. Soap? Probably. Wipes? Yes. Bleach? umK.
Old 03-19-20, 09:26 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by arentz07
Here's the thing. No matter what you drive, it will need oil changes as long as it has a combustion engine. So, a lot of people have something to say about this.

Also there are lots of misconceptions out there, particularly the lingering notion that 3,000 mile oil changes are still needed with modern vehicles... So I think revisiting this topic isn't entirely uncalled-for.
There are so many misconceptions that cannot be dispelled. How about the one where a car is designed for 87 regular, but someone says I treat my car better by using 93. It's smoother, and has more pep, gets way better mpgs, plus, it cleans the system. lol Kinda missed what the 93 represents, as in pre-detonation. Bruce Willis didn't get it though in what movie was it? Happy bday Bruno.
Old 03-19-20, 12:53 PM
Wilson2000
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
Are you criticizing the way my wife, and my buddy's wife, drive? lol

I told my wife a while back, hey, go easy on the car it's cold! She says, "But uncle Will says modern cars don't need to be warmed up." (master tech BMW in Munich)

I said he's right, but that doesn't mean you have jack rabbit starts like that, you go easy on it (that term shows age for sure). My dad taught me engine sympathy, which is about as common these days as a Gen Z staying off a FLA beach during coronavirus
I hear you! My wife is always late, so she starts her ES cold, takes off and floors it to make up for her running behind. Too, it's all gas or all brakes, so she gets horrible gas mileage and wears out her brakes prematurely. I had to switch to higher performance brakes because she kept warping rotors! Advising her to change her behavior has been futile, as most husbands likely understand.
Old 03-19-20, 01:24 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

modern cars dont need to be warmed up is correct but need to give it at least 20 sec after start to get some lubrication going especially on a cold morning

Quick Reply: Do you change your oil as often as the manufacturer recommends, or more often?