Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Tesla owners trades in for an LS500

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-20, 09:04 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 474 Likes on 313 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
I
Every company has start up and build out costs same as Tesla? Come on you know better.
That's why I say let's wait and see what the long term outcomes are.

Why do you care so much? Do you own a Tesla? Do you own stock?
I'm not a Tesla fanatic.
I'm neutral and fair.

Their products are great! As good as Ford and GM in their hey days, and as good as Benz, Beamer and Audi luxury today.
However, their sales are questionable considering that they are being sold below costs, hence the 16 years of financial losses.

Long term, I say wait and see what the final outcome is.
I'm not a fanatic who is for, but I'm not against Tesla either.

Old 03-18-20, 06:35 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,462 Likes on 1,615 Posts

Why do you care so much? Do you own a Tesla? Do you own stock?
asking you the same.
Old 03-18-20, 09:42 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,969 Likes on 2,501 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
asking you the same.
I hold shares do you?
Old 03-18-20, 09:47 AM
AlgoTrader
Driver

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
Ever walk around the neighborhood, and see a household with 3 BMWs, or 3 Hondas, or Toyotas, etc.? I always say to myself, why? It would be like sending the President and VP to the same event and both get sick, or both this or that. As a general rule diversity is a good thing.
When it comes to people, diversity it good. When it comes to machines, its easier to maintain them if they are all very similar or the same. Southwest flies 737 only so that they are easier to maintain than if they had a fleet of different makes/models. Of course, the 737 Max issue did bite them in the butt so there are risks. Imagine the training for the AP mechanics if you had a bunch of different brands of planes. Imagine the logistics if your staff of mechanics have some training on a few types of planes, but not others, yet any model of plane could end up anywhere (geographically) relative to your mechanics. You would have to fly them around, or train your entire staff on every type of plane you fly in your fleet.

Companies that buy fleets of cars (municipalities that buy police cars, taxi companies that buy fleets, etc.) have an easier time maintaining them if they are all the same. Training for mechanics is simplified.

In my case, I prefer to have all Toyotas (or Lexus) with the same 2GR-FE. Now that 2008-2012 2GR had the oil hose popping issue, but after late 2012, the 2GR is pretty solid. I only have to keep 1 type of oil filter on hand, one type of oil, one type of coolant, etc. Also, I had to learn to maintain just the one engine. I bought the Toyota OEM repair manuals for my RX. If I bought another make/model, I'd have to buy that manual. But if I bought a Highlander with the 2GR, at least I'd have the engine and trans covered by my RX manual.
If I had other brands of cars, I would have to learn all the nuances of those just to be aware of the issues (like the oil line issue of the 2GR, or the water pump issue). So even though there is risk that all your cars would be lemons, I'd argue that you need to do a good job of reviewing reliability and recall records for cars you are considering buying. Its why I tend to stick with Toyota.
Old 03-18-20, 09:53 AM
Broc
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Ah hah, the right point for me to enter. Own a TSLA, no. Own TSLA shares, you bet. It MAY be a true disruptor ... If so, I'll make some $$.

Not a Lexus sedan owner, RX instead. But can say that in the RX threads you gotta be careful about talk of going Off Road ... RX folks will come back with all sorts of comments about never designed for off road, etc. Even though the owners manual clearly states off road clues and cues in like 8 places.

Will I ever buy a TSLA, prolly not ... I don't like the design esthetic. I don't want a giant iPhone on wheels. And, I don't think it is really a luxury car. It's priced there because of tech, but does not deliver the real luxo touches we like. Apples and Oranges

Oh, and the only reason I have an iPhone is to message with Euro family members via apple apps. No other reason ...

Last edited by Broc; 03-20-20 at 10:33 PM.
Old 03-18-20, 10:47 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

You never know I bought amazon in 1998, and all the people in the office who were then old people (35-45) said I am crazy, and their logic? Because I was not buying 100 shares. I asked my dad at the time what they meant? He said yeah we used to call something < 100 shares an odd lot. They are stuck in that mindset. (I bought the shares with E Trade so it wasn't as if it cost any more to buy < 100). Flash forward. I remember was it 4 years later? Standing in the mail room of my then employer watching Google the day it hit the market, with the manager. We snickered, we'd never be so dumb as to buy that, we learned our lesson. Lessons are life-long as we are finding out even in 2020.
Old 03-18-20, 10:50 AM
MHB1535
Rookie

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

My dad and I were seriously considering switching our Lexus'( RC F and LS500 F Sport) for a Model 3 and a Model S. My dad already has fast cars so he doesn't really care too much about the top speed. I'm thinking the insane acceleration will convince him. He mainly does city driving. I am mostly on the highway. Does the Model 3 feel fast above speeds of 100 MPH? The RC F is no match for the Model 3 from a dig. Or I could just get a GTR for myself LOL.
Old 03-18-20, 11:16 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by MHB1535
My dad and I were seriously considering switching our Lexus'( RC F and LS500 F Sport) for a Model 3 and a Model S. My dad already has fast cars so he doesn't really care too much about the top speed. I'm thinking the insane acceleration will convince him. He mainly does city driving. I am mostly on the highway. Does the Model 3 feel fast above speeds of 100 MPH? The RC F is no match for the Model 3 from a dig. Or I could just get a GTR for myself LOL.
Anything on a roll from 60 and under, the Performance 3 is incredible. Just neck snapping torque. At 80, if you punch it, its fast but doesn't feel like the neck snapping torque at 60. At about 110, the car starts losing steam. Its lost about 100-150hp at 110 mph so it feels like a 350-400hp car vs. the 500hp car at lower speeds. From a dig, an M3 will catch and surpass the Model 3 around 125mph. You'll annihilate the RCF from a roll or dig under 80mph easily. Around 100mph, I think the RCF would feel stronger.
Old 03-18-20, 11:33 AM
MHB1535
Rookie

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
Anything on a roll from 60 and under, the Performance 3 is incredible. Just neck snapping torque. At 80, if you punch it, its fast but doesn't feel like the neck snapping torque at 60. At about 110, the car starts losing steam. Its lost about 100-150hp at 110 mph so it feels like a 350-400hp car vs. the 500hp car at lower speeds. From a dig, an M3 will catch and surpass the Model 3 around 125mph. You'll annihilate the RCF from a roll or dig under 80mph easily. Around 100mph, I think the RCF would feel stronger.
hmm I guess that's my biggest fear of not having a strong top end. I'm not condoning street racing or anything but i do visit Mexico pretty often lol. Maybe I'll find a Model 3 to agree to a roll race. I usually do 50-150 against Mustangs, Camaros, etc.
Old 03-18-20, 11:36 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by MHB1535
hmm I guess that's my biggest fear of not having a strong top end. I'm not condoning street racing or anything but i do visit Mexico pretty often lol. Maybe I'll find a Model 3 to agree to a roll race. I usually do 50-150 against Mustangs, Camaros, etc.
Not a great car for anything above 110mph IMO. Better off with the new Vette or something like that.
Old 03-18-20, 01:17 PM
LS460Crown
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430

Buying stocks today is the latter, we'll always have cowboys because everybody loves a good western. That one with Clint and a cart full of dead people and one is missing keeps coming to mind. On paper who isn't hurting big time here?
You're referring to "For a Few Dollars More", excellent movie and I too love that scene where Clint is counting all the dead bandidos, and basically counting his profit.
Old 03-18-20, 02:00 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,462 Likes on 1,615 Posts

I hold shares do you?
i did, but not for a while. It's almost back down to what i sold at though...
Old 03-18-20, 04:10 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 294 Likes on 210 Posts

I have a bunch of money sitting on the sideline. Maybe I will buy some Tesla stock now since I missed out on the last buying opportunity.
Old 03-18-20, 04:12 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,740 Likes on 1,961 Posts

I wouldn’t buy it right now.
Old 03-20-20, 10:42 PM
Broc
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Well, trying to time the bottom is tough. TSLA is already going back up. The market is a leading indicator. May sink more, or may have already figured this will be done in 90 days, and we'll be rebuilding ...

I think investors have figured out that TSLA is production constrained, and has never been able to meet actual demand. Model Y will make this worse. Got 100K deposits on Cyber Truck and the factory is not even broken ground yet ... China is smart enough to realize that TSLA is a disruptor to the traditional USA economy and let Elon be the first to have a wholly owned plant there (and so far, the only one permitted to have one). I'm think TSLA will be pushing $1K by Christmas ...

Quick Reply: Tesla owners trades in for an LS500