Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Tesla owners trades in for an LS500

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-20, 08:02 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

iPhone vs Android is personal preference. I have an IPhone 10XS Max and Samsung Galaxy S10+. I think Android is garbage relatively and I'm sure others feel completely differently.

The Tesla forums have strong opinions too. But there are reasonable people there too. Every forum is the same.
Old 03-15-20, 08:19 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 294 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
iPhone vs Android is personal preference. I have an IPhone 10XS Max and Samsung Galaxy S10+. I think Android is garbage relatively and I'm sure others feel completely differently.

The Tesla forums have strong opinions too. But there are reasonable people there too. Every forum is the same.
Of course there are some reasonable people but I look at several forums and the Tesla forum is different. I have never seen so many people take it almost personal or blow off any criticism like a lot of members there. Just look at your post in the IS forum when you got your Tesla, most were very positive from what I remember.
Old 03-15-20, 08:27 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by patgilm
Of course there are some reasonable people but I look at several forums and the Tesla forum is different. I have never seen so many people take it almost personal or blow off any criticism like a lot of members there. Just look at your post in the IS forum when you got your Tesla, most were very positive from what I remember.
Well, bmw is similar to Tesla forums. They ridicule you if you get a Lexus or Acura Tesla forums are a little weird because half of them aren't auto enthusiasts so they attack everything an a green or some other angle. At least everyone here can relate to a degree because we all love cars.
Old 03-15-20, 08:31 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by EZZ
Well, bmw is similar to Tesla forums. They ridicule you if you get a Lexus or Acura Tesla forums are a little weird because half of them aren't auto enthusiasts so they attack everything an a green or some other angle. At least everyone here can relate to a degree because we all love cars.
I only go to the G20 forum for the 3 series and that’s not true at all. It’s almost the opposite with many former 3 series owners bashing the G20. Some of the posts there are very critical by even owners of the G20. Most don’t care for Lexus there but acknowledge their reliability but at the same time loathe the performance.
Old 03-15-20, 08:39 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

I only go to the G20 forum for the 3 series and that’s not true at all. It’s almost the opposite with many former 3 series owners bashing the G20. Some of the posts there are very critical by even owners of the G20. Most don’t care for Lexus there but acknowledge their reliability but at the same time loathe the performance.
I used to visit the F30 forums and thought it was bad there. They really didn't think much of Lexus. In the Tesla forums, it's easy to identify who are car enthusiasts and Tesla enthusiasts. I bet GTR peeps are much better. I find most GTR owners are real enthusiasts.
Old 03-15-20, 09:03 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
We must be on different BMW forums. There was a recent what's your second car thread and for those who had one Toyota products were pretty common. Oh just saw your post, yes, you mentioned F series.
Old 03-15-20, 09:04 AM
LexusFanUS
Rookie

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by FatherTo1
Happy for the owner. Apparently, he traded in an early 2013 Model S rather than get into another Tesla.
No I traded a 2015 Model S I bought new. I do have another Tesla but it's also got a lot of small issues, I'm just so tired of there always being something broken (even if minor). See
My only complaint is why he parked the rear so close to the garage door. Seems like he had plenty of room to pull the car forward a little more.
I could have pulled in more but I wanted it back so I could shoot video of it. I wouldn't normally park that close to the door.
Also, I never noticed the dark/black roof before. Is that a standard feature on the LS500? Is that a glass roof like a Model S?
It has the power moonroof plus the rear panoramic glass roof. 2018 model in Canada.

Last edited by LexusFanUS; 03-15-20 at 09:09 AM.
Old 03-15-20, 09:07 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

I'm not on the G either but I've been on for what 13.5 years, and my experience is what you describe. The G isn't a very good car per car mags--it lost in a shootout as soon as it came out, in its segment. I hardly see any on the road. And I did get a chance to autocross the 330 and the prices were around 58k for the 4 cyl car. I did think the steering improved but it's no Maxima, Camry, or Chevy Impala which for whatever reason have good EPS. I'd be curious why the Altima steering is so bad, when Maxima is ok as is Camry.

edit PS on the original topic, nobody likes broken stuff on a new car but it still would seem to be more cost effective to fix than replace.
Old 03-15-20, 09:07 AM
LexusFanUS
Rookie

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

I can’t stand the Tesla forums, when I was researching them I noticed if you ever criticize Tesla, even if you own one, they just pounce on you like you are a moron. Not sure why this guy posted there about trading in his Mode S for the LS since he had to know what the reaction would be.
I feel ya, the Tesla fanboys are something else... I posted the video just to show that people are dumping their Teslas for other brands, just to show the Tesla faithful it happens, they seem to doubt that.
Old 03-15-20, 09:10 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by EZZ
I used to visit the F30 forums and thought it was bad there. They really didn't think much of Lexus. In the Tesla forums, it's easy to identify who are car enthusiasts and Tesla enthusiasts. I bet GTR peeps are much better. I find most GTR owners are real enthusiasts.
The G20 forums I would say are most critical of the G20’s steering input and how BMW lost its way. Most there will say the Alfa Romeo is a better drivers car.

Most GTR people are enthusiasts that do appreciate other cars a but it’s all about performance for them and they are very critical of Nissan and the fact that it’s still the same car for over 10 years and the price still goes up each year with no change in performance.
Old 03-15-20, 09:12 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LexusFanUS
I feel ya, the Tesla fanboys are something else... I posted the video just to show that people are dumping their Teslas for other brands, just to show the Tesla faithful it happens, they seem to doubt that.
LOL at least you knew what was going to happen when you posted it.
Old 03-15-20, 09:15 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
I'm not on the G either but I've been on for what 13.5 years, and my experience is what you describe. The G isn't a very good car per car mags--it lost in a shootout as soon as it came out, in its segment. I hardly see any on the road. And I did get a chance to autocross the 330 and the prices were around 58k for the 4 cyl car. I did think the steering improved but it's no Maxima, Camry, or Chevy Impala which for whatever reason have good EPS. I'd be curious why the Altima steering is so bad, when Maxima is ok as is Camry.

edit PS on the original topic, nobody likes broken stuff on a new car but it still would seem to be more cost effective to fix than replace.
The G20 is the first BMW I would ever consider. It fixed a lot of steering issues with the F30 and for its size, it moves really well. The back looks like an IS350 so I really like it The M340 is an awesome car in its segment relative most of its competitors. If the Tesla didn't work for me, I'd probably be in an M340.
Old 03-15-20, 09:23 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Back to the OP, as I see it, it begs the question of what a Lexus dealership is going to do with a used Tesla. Even if they have a charging-port that will fit them, they probably don't have much in the way of facilities or Technicians to service or repair them. I doubt if it will even be auctioned off.......auctions are usually done with repos.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-15-20 at 09:27 AM.
Old 03-15-20, 09:36 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by EZZ
The G20 is the first BMW I would ever consider. It fixed a lot of steering issues with the F30 and for its size, it moves really well. The back looks like an IS350 so I really like it The M340 is an awesome car in its segment relative most of its competitors. If the Tesla didn't work for me, I'd probably be in an M340.
I truly wanted to like them, don't mind the looks, and appreciated the invite to autocross. BMW instructors remind me of the ski bums when I was in college. They don't get paid much they just love what they do and it's seasonal. Compare BMW to a Porsche event and it's surprising BMW is better (although Porsche may have canceled in 2015 or so). Pouring rain? We still autocrossed the new 540's with speeds reduced.

It was a little alarming that the 4 cyl cars were 58k already--they may have had every option incl track package. I wouldn't buy one and scary a 6 cyl. could be even more like what you want! And I'm no fan of the B58 yes because I own a N54. But honestly no snob factor, I just like the hardware it has. Overall B58 should be superior fuel economy and reliability, just that mine hasn't had any issues.

BMW has great marketing got invited to golf at the cricket club but given what's going on I highly doubt the event would happen and I wouldn't go anyway now....
Old 03-15-20, 09:52 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,740 Likes on 1,961 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusFanUS
Welcome to CL!

Interested to know why you didnt choose the LS500h?

Quick Reply: Tesla owners trades in for an LS500