Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Tesla owners trades in for an LS500

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-20, 10:00 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,836 Likes on 2,396 Posts

This appears to be a viral campaign by Lexus reeks of desperation.
Old 03-15-20, 10:03 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,950 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
This appears to be a viral campaign by Lexus reeks of desperation.
Its targeted marketing. Marketing works. There are a good number of very frustrated Tesla owners, I know a few of them.
Old 03-15-20, 10:06 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Its targeted marketing. Marketing works. There are a good number of very frustrated Tesla owners, I know a few of them.
Classic FUD. There are unhappy owners for every brand you think Toyota owners are happy right now with millions being recalled? But keep banging that drum it won't make any difference Tesla is growing exponentially.
Old 03-15-20, 10:16 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Classic FUD. There are unhappy owners for every brand you think Toyota owners are happy right now with millions being recalled? But keep banging that drum it won't make any difference Tesla is growing exponentially.
I actually have championed Tesla, but they don't make cars that appeal to me in the way traditional luxury cars appeal to me. Thats what this person has found as well.

People that have had problematic Teslas and bad experiences with Tesla service absolutely will be dramatically relieved by having a Lexus, and Lexus dealers. I have a good friend who has a Model S and a Model X, her situation has been ridiculous. Stalling on the road, being towed to the Tesla "center" and waiting weeks and weeks to even have it looked at. She's had long stretches of time where neither of her Teslas have been on the road. That absolutely will not happen with a Lexus, or a Mercedes, or a BMW or whatever.

As for Toyota "recalls", its no big deal. You come to the dealer, the recall is done and you leave. The two situations are totally different.

Admitting Tesla has some serious warts they need to deal with doesn't diminish what Tesla has accomplished. Owning a Tesla requires a certain amount of understanding of challenges that are different than owning a car made and supported by an established company...lets put it that way. Early adopters and fanboys will deal with that and explain that away, but for people who just want a car ifs a deal breaker when they encounter these problems.

And to be honest, the zealotry that has been displayed here from Tesla fans and certainly on the Tesla forums is extremely off putting to me, and it makes it a lot less likely I would ever try a Tesla.
Old 03-15-20, 10:43 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

I actually have championed Tesla, but they don't make cars that appeal to me in the way traditional luxury cars appeal to me. Thats what this person has found as well.

People that have had problematic Teslas and bad experiences with Tesla service absolutely will be dramatically relieved by having a Lexus, and Lexus dealers. I have a good friend who has a Model S and a Model X, her situation has been ridiculous. Stalling on the road, being towed to the Tesla "center" and waiting weeks and weeks to even have it looked at. She's had long stretches of time where neither of her Teslas have been on the road. That absolutely will not happen with a Lexus, or a Mercedes, or a BMW or whatever.

As for Toyota "recalls", its no big deal. You come to the dealer, the recall is done and you leave. The two situations are totally different.

Admitting Tesla has some serious warts they need to deal with doesn't diminish what Tesla has accomplished. Owning a Tesla requires a certain amount of understanding of challenges that are different than owning a car made and supported by an established company...lets put it that way. Early adopters and fanboys will deal with that and explain that away, but for people who just want a car ifs a deal breaker when they encounter these problems.

And to be honest, the zealotry that has been displayed here from Tesla fans and certainly on the Tesla forums is extremely off putting to me, and it makes it a lot less likely I would ever try a Tesla.
I doubt you'd ever be interested in a Tesla. It's the complete antithesis of Lexus. It's not luxurious, softly sprung, uber reliable, or has exceptional service. The average age of the two brands are nearly 20 years apart. Completely diametrically different brands in the luxury segments. .
Old 03-15-20, 10:46 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by EZZ
I doubt you'd ever be interested in a Tesla. It's the complete antithesis of Lexus. It's not luxurious, softly sprung, uber reliable, or has exceptional service. The average age of the two brands are nearly 20 years apart. Completely diametrically different brands in the luxury segments. .
I totally agree. There are a lot of people who bought Tesla’s though who did so without recognizing those differences who aren’t satisfied. Not everybody loves them who own them.

I find your description funny though lol. To reverse it who wouldn’t want a luxury car that isn’t luxurious, rides poorly, is unreliable and is sold by a company with terrible customer service? LOL
Old 03-15-20, 10:56 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Now you're just making crap up.
Old 03-15-20, 11:02 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

I totally agree. There are a lot of people who bought Tesla’s though who did so without recognizing those differences who aren’t satisfied. Not everybody loves them who own them.

I find your description funny though lol. To reverse it who wouldn’t want a luxury car that isn’t luxurious, rides poorly, is unreliable and is sold by a company with terrible customer service? LOL
Haha. That pretty much nails it. Lucky it's fast and green. Lol.
Old 03-15-20, 11:41 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Now you're just making crap up.
How? LOL. You can not deny that these issues are not something people deal with from Lexus

Originally Posted by EZZ
Haha. That pretty much nails it. Lucky it's fast and green. Lol.
There’s always an upside! Lol
Old 03-15-20, 12:02 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

How? LOL. You can not deny that these issues are not something people deal with from Lexus
Did you forget what you posted? You said:
Lexus, or a Mercedes, or a BMW or whatever
Old 03-15-20, 12:04 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Even Mercedes and BMW!
Old 03-15-20, 12:09 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

BMW Announces Stop Sale On Some M Models Over Transmission Issue

"never happens"

The location and routing of the transmission wiring harness can cause damage to the components that can eventually lead to a short circuit. The issue could cause the gearbox to shift into neutral while someone is driving, which could be dangerous
Old 03-15-20, 12:36 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

This isn’t the same thing and you know it.
Old 03-15-20, 12:57 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

This isn’t the same thing and you know it.
I know someone with an X5 the car stalls out with no warning sometimes it won't start. No one can fix it, literally no one. The car is a giant brick at this point. But I don't go around saying don't buy BMW, no auto maker is immune to this type of thing.
Old 03-15-20, 01:28 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

This is one of your best posts on this board, and for the most part exactly how I feel. I like Tesla, but I am not ready to deal with the challenges that Tesla ownership presents. I also really don’t want to be associated with the cult like Tesla fanboys. Maybe as charging infrastructure matures, and Teslas become more like traditional vehicles, more normal people will start buying them and their image changes.

Quick Reply: Tesla owners trades in for an LS500