Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Tesla owners trades in for an LS500

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-20, 06:05 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,981 Posts

Originally Posted by patgilm
It's really no different than Land Rovers and the customers loyal to them. There are many people that love them despite some of the reliability issues they have and that's okay but when some of these loyal customers ignore/dismiss any issues other people bring up and minimizes it because of their partiality to the brand, it's gets annoying.
Its on a different level with Tesla than it is with any other car company IMHO.
Old 03-15-20, 06:09 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 295 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Its on a different level with Tesla than it is with any other car company IMHO.
Oh there is no doubt there, I see it on many other forums I frequent with some of the Tesla owners, not just the Tesla forum. It’s almost personal to many of them if someone mentions something wrong, even if it is not related to the car itself like the delivery, service, etc.
Old 03-15-20, 06:35 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

I believe part of the reason Tesla owners get defensive is there is so much FUD they have to defend that it's at the point they defend everything (which is wrong too). I agree that service needs work, quality needs to get better, interior design / quality needs improvement, and charging infrastructure needs a bigger rollout. I just defend the truly stupid $h!t like batteries need replacing every 100k, charging takes an hour, and Tesla doesn't make any money If you're gonna criticize Tesla, at least make it valid
Old 03-15-20, 06:41 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Lots of negative comments in the thread about Tesla service.....I can't either verify or deny them, simply because I have never owned a Tesla or took one in for service. But, to me, at least, looking in from the outside, it may (?) get back to what I said a long time ago about the way Tesla runs the dealerships and service facilities. At a typical run-of-the-mill (privately-owned) Ford or Chevy dealership, if you don't like the service, next time you can try out another dealership, which is not likely to be very far away. Not necessarily so with the Tesla company-owned shops.
Old 03-15-20, 06:50 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Lots of negative comments in the thread about Tesla service.....I can't either verify or deny them, simply because I have never owned a Tesla or took one in for service. But, to me, at least, looking in from the outside, it may (?) get back to what I said a long time ago about the way Tesla runs the dealerships and service facilities. At a typical run-of-the-mill (privately-owned) Ford or Chevy dealership, if you don't like the service, next time you can try out another dealership, which is not likely to be very far away. Not necessarily so with the Tesla company-owned shops.
That's not true at all. Every service department operates differently unfortunately. It depends on the manager. Like franchise dealerships, there are good service centers and bad ones. The one next to me is very good with Model S loaners. Most of the California service centers are good...other states, it can be variable. I had one issue taken care of by the service center promptly. I haven't had an issue since
Old 03-15-20, 06:57 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
That's not true at all. Every service department operates differently unfortunately. It depends on the manager. Like franchise dealerships, there are good service centers and bad ones. The one next to me is very good with Model S loaners.
So, at that shop, the customers that spend the most money, on the highest-priced vehicles, get the best service?

Most places don't necessarily operate that way, though Lincoln does, to an extent, with its Black Label service, and a lot of shops do things for repeat customers that newbies don't necessarily get. My local GM shop, for example, as a repeat customer, gives me free car washes anytime I want (within reason), even though you usually don't get something like that at a Chevy or Buick level of service.
Old 03-15-20, 07:13 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mmarshall
So, at that shop, the customers that spend the most money, on the highest-priced vehicles, get the best service?

Most places don't necessarily operate that way, though Lincoln does, to an extent, with its Black Label service, and a lot of shops do things for repeat customers that newbies don't necessarily get. My local GM shop, for example, as a repeat customer, gives me free car washes anytime I want (within reason), even though you usually don't get something like that at a Chevy or Buick level of service.
It's manager dependent. My service center treats everyone the same. I don't know about other service centers. I have to say that mobile service has truly great customer service. Nobody complains about them as they come to you
Old 03-15-20, 07:25 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 295 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
I believe part of the reason Tesla owners get defensive is there is so much FUD they have to defend that it's at the point they defend everything (which is wrong too). I agree that service needs work, quality needs to get better, interior design / quality needs improvement, and charging infrastructure needs a bigger rollout. I just defend the truly stupid $h!t like batteries need replacing every 100k, charging takes an hour, and Tesla doesn't make any money If you're gonna criticize Tesla, at least make it valid
I agree to some extent when some Tesla owners frequent other forums but when some owners on the Tesla forum can’t take criticism from other Tesla owners and make ridiculous excuses for Tesla it’s annoying. I want to know about legitimate issues and complaints from other owners without them being explained away. That helps me when I research a car I am considering.

With that being said I do like almost everything Tesla does, even the ugly cybertruck I have grown to love.
Old 03-15-20, 08:32 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,514 Likes on 1,653 Posts

same old tesla debates...
Old 03-15-20, 09:26 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,061 Likes on 2,573 Posts

Even with Tesla's reliability issues I'd still take it over a BMW they are a nightmare to work on there are body modules everywhere, rats nest wiring and over engineering (but not for the better) where ever you look. Tesla is a work of art electrically and mechanically by comparison.

Lexus is way ahead mechanically but has become an electrical rats nest as well recently. Still dead reliable for the most part.
Old 03-15-20, 11:13 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 486 Likes on 321 Posts

Despite Tesla's lack of experience in engineering, manufacture, assembly - Teslas are still great cars just like GM, Ford, Mercedes, BMW and Audi etc.
If you want maximum build quality like OP, you must generally go to Toyota Motor Corp.

Selling Teslas by "dumping" at low prices for year after year of losses is an interesting ploy, and only time will tell how Tesla turns out...
Old 03-16-20, 06:46 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

Way to show the new guy how civil this forum is guys lol.
Old 03-16-20, 07:15 AM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,166 Likes on 753 Posts

Originally Posted by peteharvey
Despite Tesla's lack of experience in engineering, manufacture, assembly - Teslas are still great cars just like GM, Ford, Mercedes, BMW and Audi etc.
If you want maximum build quality like OP, you must generally go to Toyota Motor Corp.

Selling Teslas by "dumping" at low prices for year after year of losses is an interesting ploy, and only time will tell how Tesla turns out...
Well said. Tesla has been in business for 16 years and has never come close to making a profit. Last year they lost 862 million and 980 million in 2018. Going back to the OP the Model S has the highest insurance cost of any car according to the Insurance Bureau. The average annual premium is $2,900. The LS at an average of 23 mpg over 12,000 miles and gas at $2.50 will cost $1,304 a year in gas. The Tesla based on average electricity rates cost $650 a year for the same 12,000 miles. Factor in the insurance cost difference and the Lexus is significantly more economically. Is the Tesla faster oh yeah. Is the Lexus more reliable oh yeah. Consumer Reports ranks Lexus #1 and Tesla #23 out of 31 in dependability.
Old 03-16-20, 07:27 AM
Lend0
Intermediate

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Beautiful LS you have there!
Old 03-16-20, 07:30 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Freds430
Well said. Tesla has been in business for 16 years and has never come close to making a profit. Last year they lost 862 million and 980 million in 2018. Going back to the OP the Model S has the highest insurance cost of any car according to the Insurance Bureau. The average annual premium is $2,900. The LS at an average of 23 mpg over 12,000 miles and gas at $2.50 will cost $1,304 a year in gas. The Tesla based on average electricity rates cost $650 a year for the same 12,000 miles. Factor in the insurance cost difference and the Lexus is significantly more economically. Is the Tesla faster oh yeah. Is the Lexus more reliable oh yeah. Consumer Reports ranks Lexus #1 and Tesla #23 out of 31 in dependability.
They were cash flow positive last year because they make money on each car. They have a mid 20% gross margin that proves it. Their losses came from depreciation of their factories that are in growth mode. The analysts realize this and so do investors which drove valuation up past the big 3 and made Tesla the 2nd most valuable auto manufacturer in the world. I hope you didn't short the stock.

Quick Reply: Tesla owners trades in for an LS500