Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Tesla owners trades in for an LS500

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-20, 08:14 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,462 Likes on 1,615 Posts

Originally Posted by Freds430
Well said. Tesla has been in business for 16 years and has never come close to making a profit. Last year they lost 862 million and 980 million in 2018. Going back to the OP the Model S has the highest insurance cost of any car according to the Insurance Bureau. The average annual premium is $2,900. The LS at an average of 23 mpg over 12,000 miles and gas at $2.50 will cost $1,304 a year in gas. The Tesla based on average electricity rates cost $650 a year for the same 12,000 miles. Factor in the insurance cost difference and the Lexus is significantly more economically. Is the Tesla faster oh yeah. Is the Lexus more reliable oh yeah. Consumer Reports ranks Lexus #1 and Tesla #23 out of 31 in dependability.
right on cue, the Freds430 standard talking points.
Old 03-16-20, 08:38 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by patgilm
It's really no different than Land Rovers and the customers loyal to them. There are many people that love them despite some of the reliability issues they have and that's okay but when some of these loyal customers ignore/dismiss any issues other people bring up and minimizes it because of their partiality to the brand, it's gets annoying.
I haven't seen a more cult like attitude with any other make as I have seen with many Tesla owners and to some extent fans of electrics, it is just on another level compared to other brands to where fans go onto other car enthusiast sites and in numerous posts/threads heap praise on Tesla/their car, how it is has changed their lives/thinking, try to say there is no more future for IC engines, people are making a mistake not getting a Tesla/electric and still wanting or buying a IC engine, Tesla is superior this way, that way, etc. Just watching some videos on youtube of some Tesla owners marveling over their car like it is some miracle sent from god, acting like they are so special and elite to drive them and test them, experiment with autonomous driving which has led to some live spinouts, etc and go on how it is so superior to everything else is just something I have never seen before.

Tesla owner filing himself on autopilot driving in pouring rain, spinning out and crashing, just sounds demented like he thinks the car is some sort of gift from god and will save him from his stupidity.
Old 03-16-20, 10:05 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,969 Likes on 2,501 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
Tesla owner filing himself on autopilot driving in pouring rain, spinning out and crashing, just sounds demented like he thinks the car is some sort of gift from god and will save him from his stupidity.
You really think stupidity is limited to Tesla owners? Yikes.
Old 03-16-20, 10:16 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
You really think stupidity is limited to Tesla owners? Yikes.
Stupidity is not limited to Tesla owners, most people are pretty stupid, but often people with the same direction of stupidity align into cult like stereotypes - for instance the nasally voiced Tesla owners and on the other side of the spectrum the rednecks with their rolling coal lifted pickups.
Old 03-16-20, 10:17 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

I'd say that's accurate it brings balance to the force.
Old 03-16-20, 10:23 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

The truth is, most people are pretty ignorant when it comes to car buying choices. Only BMW M car owners, M2 in particular, are truly unbiased and made an educated choice when selecting their cars.
Old 03-16-20, 10:30 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
The truth is, most people are pretty ignorant when it comes to car buying choices. Only BMW M car owners, M2 in particular, are truly unbiased and made an educated choice when selecting their cars.
Hahaha. So funny. Especially funny because there are a quite a few prior M owners on the Tesla forum that say they have seen the light.
Old 03-16-20, 10:31 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Those people were imposters only the most pure of heart and mind can own the M.
Old 03-16-20, 11:06 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

I bet your friendly BMW dealer will sell an M2 to anyone who has the $$'s.
Old 03-16-20, 01:38 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 474 Likes on 313 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
They were cash flow positive last year because they make money on each car. They have a mid 20% gross margin that proves it. Their losses came from depreciation of their factories that are in growth mode. The analysts realize this and so do investors which drove valuation up past the big 3 and made Tesla the 2nd most valuable auto manufacturer in the world. I hope you didn't short the stock.
You're a true Tesla fanatic Ezz.
Maybe you work for Tesla?
Old 03-16-20, 01:56 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by peteharvey
Every Tesla owner "works for Tesla" that's why the company doesn't need to advertise the enthusiasm of owners does it for them.
Old 03-16-20, 02:06 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by peteharvey
I fight the FUD. I have more ICE cars than EVs so I am an equal opportunity driver but I hate stupid lies and ignorance.
Old 03-16-20, 02:14 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts
Talking

Every Tesla owner "works for Tesla" that's why the company doesn't need to advertise the enthusiasm of owners does it for them.
Yup the same tesla owners who tell prospective customers that their autopilot is a totally hands off affair, you can literally sleep in the drivers seat, summon your vehicle with 100% accuracy.

Old 03-16-20, 03:00 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by coolsaber
Yup the same tesla owners who tell prospective customers that their autopilot is a totally hands off affair, you can literally sleep in the drivers seat, summon your vehicle with 100% accuracy.
Maybe the people you hang out talk like this? I've never heard anyone say anything close.
Old 03-16-20, 03:03 PM
Blaze876
Instructor

Received 109 Likes on 90 Posts

Maybe the people you hang out talk like this? I've never heard anyone say anything close.
you dont need to hear it...you can look at the countless videos online of tesla owners sleeping, reading a book, having a 3 course meal around the wheel while driving. But seems like you choose to ignore these things.
They dont have to say it. Their actions shows they believe their car is fully autonomous. But you will deny some tesla owners dont believe this.

Quick Reply: Tesla owners trades in for an LS500