Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

repair and maintenance services for cars not closed

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-20, 12:00 PM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Are they only keeping Service and Parts departments open? Not sales? I would think enough can be done online/over the phone now that sales could still theoretically function sans test drives maybe...
Old 03-21-20, 12:29 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
With statewide forced closures of businesses, just me, it seems odd that car repair and maintenance is classified as a "life-sustaining business."

All kidding aside I could see that if you needed your car to get to the ER, but otherwise not really. There are ambulances. Then it would make sense for car repair to be open for emergency/police/fire vehicles.

Who knows maybe once we get through this crisis, people could shift to doing things for themselves again. I would say imho eSports is the opposite of that.

btw "car dealers" must close, so that's a distinction. I dunno if their service departments remain open or not because the wording crosses over.
PA is not in "lockdown". If someone's car breaks down and they can't get out to get food, I call that life-sustaining. No one is forcing auto mechanics to stay open, if they don't want. They are permitted to be open--and I think that is the right call.
Old 03-21-20, 12:30 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Guess what else is essential? Dry cleaners.
Correct. The PA governor had to modify his order to specify this.

NY includes alcohol sales as "essential". Ridiculous.
Old 03-21-20, 04:15 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
NY includes alcohol sales as "essential". Ridiculous.
This, from the same place that outlawed Big Gulps LOL.

Old 03-21-20, 09:24 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

no one in america likes to wear a mask.

If we all just wore masks, we could be more mobile and go about our business.
Old 03-22-20, 02:46 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by pman6

Here's what I believe the conventional wisdom to be. You're not sick, do not wear a mask. You are not a health professional and have N95 masks, donate them to a hospital.

Let me preface by saying my understanding is that only sick people in the general public should wear masks, nobody else, other than hospital workers and the likes. Then, we could say right now, sick people should be staying home, not going out in public. So if this were agreed upon, one would not see anybody in public with a mask at all.

I guess Dr. Fauci, The CDC, and WH would disagree with the "if we all just wore masks" statement. We could even add Dr. Oz and Dr. Leana Wen to the list, the US Surgeon General, Dr. Ben Carson., the list would never end.

I was traveling late Jan. and a woman in the airport sits right next to me with a mask. I thought holy **** wait a sec, I am pretty sure she is wearing a mask thinking she is protecting herself, not the way it works, protecting me and others if she is sick. So I googled it and found it to be the case (getting it backwards). Otherwise, I am getting right up and moving, rude or not. I wondered to myself how an entire society en masse has it backwards. Meaning, when you go to a dentist and the staff are wearing masks, that's to protect patients since they have their mouths wide open. Or in hospitals. Today since they are treating potentially all sick people, they are wearing N95 masks to protect themselves.

It's been 9 days since I've been to the gym, but I used to think I was Larry David. I would find it so annoying that at 5 AM there were no wipes nor spray to clean the machine. I was in the practice clean the machine before, clean it afterwards. And it would drive me crazy when I would be by myself, and a guy gets on next to me coughing and not covering. I would text my buddy and we'd have a laugh but he said seriously bro speak up because a person with a compromised immune system could be sick for a month with these people. Then I started rationalizing but these guys cough so much I don't think they are actually sick, and that's why they don't cover. He said does not matter. The day before the gym shuts for good, the machines are displaying friendly reminder wipe before and after. You might think it's only men that don't wipe down machines. But from my observation, it's women too. Probably everyone will take it more seriously now and who knows maybe gyms will never be opened again due to the cultivation and spread of disease.
Old 03-22-20, 04:46 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Mayor Bloomberg was unsuccessful to ban large drink sales.
Old 03-22-20, 04:47 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

1. this is incorrect
2. even if it were true---so we can just snap our fingers and have 350 million masks... per day? you can't just keep wearing the same mask over and over.
Old 03-22-20, 07:28 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

The CDC has asked us not to wear masks unless absolutely necessary, so that the existing supplies of them (and priority for incoming supplies) can be given to those who need them most....health-care personnel.

We're getting off-topic, though.
Old 03-22-20, 07:42 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,394 Likes on 1,568 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
and the guy who did it just blew a billion in a pointless campaign.
Old 03-22-20, 07:49 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Yeah, but that's like me blowing a couple grand at Vegas. No big deal
Old 03-22-20, 08:53 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
or taking and destroying food donations for the homeless because the state couldnt determine the nutritional value of it
Old 03-22-20, 11:05 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

A friend who volunteers at a food shelter told me they accept cans in good condition 3 years beyond expiration if the can is not dented. I did not know that--I thought maybe 1 year as I dated a woman who worked in a testing lab for a food co. We try not to waste food but to be honest somethings buying stuff at Costco next thing one knows the cans are a year expired and not touched.

Pretty sure I told this story before--my wife's niece threw away an entire rib eye steak that cost $11.99/lb. I get this is choice from the supermarket, but never in my life have I done that. I shouldn't stereotype but upper class sometimes has different values than everyone else.